Skip to main content

@Ripken Fan posted:

Wow what a great opening weekend for the Ivy League! 6 of the 8 teams picked up a win. I would guess that it was well over a decade(s) when the last time that happened.

Several years ago Harvard opened with a schedule that could only be called running a gauntlet. It was a lot of ranked and all top fifty teams. They opened 0-20.

I asked a Harvard dad if it made them tougher and ready for league play. He said the schedule and getting hammered only demoralized the team.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

Several years ago Harvard opened with a schedule that could only be called dunning a gauntlet. It was a lot of ranked and all top fifty teams. They opened 0-20.

I asked a Harvard dad if it made them tougher and ready for league play. He said the schedule and getting hammered only demoralized the team.

Anyone see Iona's season so far,  0-6 against UTenn and Old Dominion.   I think the average run difference was probably 20 per game.

I don't care how much of a lesson learned, losing that bad is demoralizing.  I really do believe coaches that think it's good for the team growth just don't get it, and it's more about them than their team.  Most football teams schedule cream puffs in the pre-conference schedule unless they are vying for a title; and if that's the case they are typically good enough to play anyone.

@RJM posted:

Several years ago Harvard opened with a schedule that could only be called dunning a gauntlet. It was a lot of ranked and all top fifty teams. They opened 0-20.

Not unheard of.  There are lots of examples like this.   The 2010 Princeton team went 5-15, and were Ivy League champs in 2011.   The 2011 Cornell Big Red started 3-17, and were Ivy League champs in 2012.   

When you play for Ivy teams (that a lot of times lack depth), you learn to take the good with the bad or the bad with the good as the case may be.   I guess, I'm saying "it comes with the territory".  Possibly getting hammered and demoralized has a long term positive effect of toughening up the team because they know they have to step it up.  The only time I ever saw my son nervous on the mound was his first college appearance against a loaded Virginia team in 2011.   Once he got over that hump, nothing bothered him or intimidated him.   Additionally, I think a lot of Ivy HCs  put their freshmen in these situations to see how they handle it.   Fast forward 10 years later....there was one freshman Cornell player (his parent is a HSBBWeb member) that had a tremendous weekend against Virginia.  I think his first at bat was a 2 RBI double.  I didn't see it, but I saw the box scores.

I guess it is just a different coaching philosphy that they are used to, and the rest of us don't understand.  Their focus is on conference play because it is a 21 game sprint under the new format.

As always, JMO.

@HSDad22 posted:

Anyone see Iona's season so far,  0-6 against UTenn and Old Dominion.   I think the average run difference was probably 20 per game.

I don't care how much of a lesson learned, losing that bad is demoralizing.  I really do believe coaches that think it's good for the team growth just don't get it, and it's more about them than their team.  Most football teams schedule cream puffs in the pre-conference schedule unless they are vying for a title; and if that's the case they are typically good enough to play anyone.

I am with you and not only do I agree about your comments regarding Iona's coaching decision to play their team beyond their reach, but the teams that ran up the score on them should pick on someone their own size!

JMO

I want to add one observation. If you want to have your team be ready by conference playing superior teams and getting your ass kicked isn't going to mean much. It's playing 5 games a week against similar competition that counts. This is what good coaches do to help their teams find their stride.

Just a quick note on the mid to lower level D1s traveling to often warmer climates against P5 teams.  Our family (especially RipkenFanSon) is eternally grateful that his school (HA D1) scheduled and played against highly ranked teams. He most likely would never have been drafted.

The scout that signed him told me that what impressed him most was how RipkenFanSon performed against top caliber teams. For son, timing (and opportunity) was everything. (In 3-game series, he was 7 for 11 and 5 SBs against #5 team in county). The later in season midweek and conference games allowed for more eyes from within the organization to confirm what they had seen earlier in February & March.  Oh, and his dad loved escaping snowy New England too to attend major conference games, even if some games were not competitive.

@TPM posted:

I am with you and not only do I agree about your comments regarding Iona's coaching decision to play their team beyond their reach, but the teams that ran up the score on them should pick on someone their own size!

JMO

The only problem with this is that those teams need to utilize pitching and get other secondary players some work in the preseason too.  I honestly don't like the run rule thing.  If a team agrees to play you, they play you.  I would have guessed that Penn wasn't a good match for A&M, but I bet they are glad they booked that series.

Last edited by baseballhs
@baseballhs posted:

The only problem with this is that those teams need to utilize pitching and get other secondary players some work in the preseason too.  I honestly don't like the run rule thing.  If a team agrees to play you, they play you.  I would have guessed that Penn wasn't a good match for A&M, but I bet they are glad they booked that series.

I didn't mention the run rule.  There is nothing like David going into the home teams arena and defeating Goliath.

But an IL school defeating a p5 program is more of a reach (as we have seen) than a program that can't even be anywhere successful in their own conference. 

JMO

@PABaseball posted:

Are any of the big schools paying the little guys to come out and play them? Obviously it's not going to be football amounts but do they at least cover hotel or the flight/bus?

Son's team did receive a pretty sweet deal from a WAC school, which they played 2 of his 4 years. Son's team always sought 4 game series whenever they could get them on their "spring training" trips. This team agreed to 4 games and threw in other incentives due to its location (not a great place for pitchers - the park and a perennial strong hitting team) and high cost of airfare.

@PABaseball posted:

Are any of the big schools paying the little guys to come out and play them? Obviously it's not going to be football amounts but do they at least cover hotel or the flight/bus?

I know this happens with both sons' schools. There is a website that lists some of this. Basically coaches looking for games/series. What's offered, etc. Can't find it at the moment.

@PABaseball posted:

So then Iona getting spanked for two weekends does make sense if it's going to fund a few scholarships.

Iona's program has been a mess the last few years. They had Joe Panick's brother come in. Didn't do well. And they just got a new coach who was the RC and or AC at Dartmouth I think they're on the right path.

But from a budget perspective a lot of these NE teams are being funded to go south or out west.

Last edited by nycdad
@HSDad22 posted:

The coaches didn't do this the administration did.  According to several of their fans and looking back, their administration ran off their coach last year for not playing a kid whose dad was influential.  The coach made a point at the end by not putting him on the lineup card but a college should never play daddy ball.  When they ran the coach off, about 13 players quit also.  Didn't hire the new coach until late August and he had to rebuild a team.  Don't know if it would have helped against us but tough place for new coach to be.  He does not seem to have much of a staff to help him either.

@PitchingFan posted:

The coaches didn't do this the administration did.  According to several of their fans and looking back, their administration ran off their coach last year for not playing a kid whose dad was influential.  The coach made a point at the end by not putting him on the lineup card but a college should never play daddy ball.  When they ran the coach off, about 13 players quit also.  Didn't hire the new coach until late August and he had to rebuild a team.  Don't know if it would have helped against us but tough place for new coach to be.  He does not seem to have much of a staff to help him either.

They also went into Covid protocol last year and never came back, probably because they reasons you mentioned they just decided to call in quits. Definitely screwed up the conference seeding going into the last few weeks.

@Ripken Fan posted:

Son's team did receive a pretty sweet deal from a WAC school, which they played 2 of his 4 years. Son's team always sought 4 game series whenever they could get them on their "spring training" trips. This team agreed to 4 games and threw in other incentives due to its location (not a great place for pitchers - the park and a perennial strong hitting team) and high cost of airfare.

If you don't mind - any details of the deal? If WAC schools are paying I would imagine the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Pac schools are shelling out pretty good.

@nycdad posted:

Iona's program has been a mess the last few years. They had Joe Panick's brother come in. Didn't do well. And they just got a new coach who was the RC and or AC at Dartmouth I think they're on the right path.

Genuinely curious - and I do hope you're right, but what makes you think that? Asking because I know a kid who recently decommmitted and the family wasn't too optimistic.

The coaching staff kind of looks like it was just thrown together - which judging from another comment above, seems like it was to be fair.

If this is better suited for a PM feel free. I hope they turn it around. Been following for a few years thru travel/hs teammates who played there but the season is 20% over and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better.

@PABaseball posted:

Genuinely curious - and I do hope you're right, but what makes you think that? Asking because I know a kid who recently decommmitted and the family wasn't too optimistic.

The coaching staff kind of looks like it was just thrown together - which judging from another comment above, seems like it was to be fair.

If this is better suited for a PM feel free. I hope they turn it around. Been following for a few years thru travel/hs teammates who played there but the season is 20% over and it doesn't look like it's going to get much better.

PM sent.

@PABaseball posted:

There was nothing resembling on the right track.  They would have gotten beaten by most good HS teams.  They missed fly balls and ground balls right to them.  It was one of those teams that you just felt bad for.  They were playing halfway deep in the outfield against a team that is in top in nation in HR's.  There were fielding alignments that made no sense.  One of their players swung through 12 straight balls in BP and started.  The coaching staff seemed to have no idea what was going on at times.  I'm convinced that baseball is not a priority there.

This morning I will be in person for the first time to see my son (Sophmore) in a college baseball game.  With six games in six days, in Florida, he should get on the mound.   I just hope I will get to see it as I am going to the first 3 games then back to work....Let's GO!

That's awesome. Keep us posted!

Where will he/you be?

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.