Skip to main content

@PABaseball posted:

Believe so. The video is two or three years old so they've likely done some necessary work to it. Coppin St

The Coppin State coach has performed miracles. This is a program that a few years ago went O-fer for the season losing by an average about 12-1 with a 10+ ERA. They only had about fourteen players. I think they won their conference in 2019 and played .500 overall.

@FriarFred posted:

That's what you can do if you have elite 6.19 speed...

Seth Stephenson has elite speed that has caused professional scouts to take notice. He has been clocked running the 60-yard dash as fast as 6.19 seconds. (per Baseball Prospect Journal)

Just a Temple College JuCo bandit doing his thing. Great player. Would bet he had no D1 offers out of HS. Temple does a great job developing their players. HC played 8-9 years in MLB. Head Asst. Coach had 10 year big league career. Find a college coaching staff at any level with more experience than that. They teach the game!

There are many coaches out there that not only teach the game the right way but are able to see special qualities in a player, and take that and make them even better. 

I am pretty sure that the player did not decide to do this on his own. It more than likely was picked up way before it happened and coach had given the player the green light at one point. Could have even been while at 3rd base.

JMO

@RJM posted:

I would never expect a college pitcher to be that unaware of a runner with speed on third.

If he was aware he would not have put his head down.

He was unprepared and that isn't all his fault.

We forget that these are college kids, not professionals. Every week most coaches spend hours watching previous games to give heads up to their staff.  It's done for a reason and part of his job.

@TPM posted:

If he was aware he would not have put his head down.

He was unprepared and that isn't all his fault.

We forget that these are college kids, not professionals. Every week most coaches spend hours watching previous games to give heads up to their staff.  It's done for a reason and part of his job.

Come on! A good high school pitcher headed for the next level is very likely to be aware of a fast runner on third. It was nothing more than a brain dead moment by the pitcher. Even majors leaguers have infrequent brain dead moments.

Wow, I saw that they won in another extra-inning walkoff, but not that it was the same guy.

Kurt Wilson is the guy. He will forever be a legend in Texas Tech baseball b/c nobody ever forgets a guy that takes down the hated ‘horns. Similar thing happened in series between A&M/UT in 1989. Aggie 3B John Byington (currently HC at McMurry University in Abilene, TX) hit walk off home runs in both ends of a doubleheader in front of a standing room only crowd at Olsen Field to send the ‘horns down in flames twice in one day. I wasn’t there but I remember watching it on ESPN. It was an unreal scene and Byington has never had to buy a drink in Aggieland ever since.

How can no one have commented on this???? This is absurd.  He had a 4 HR game, two grand slams, a three-run and a two-run HR?  11 RBI.  NUTS.

Sorry Gunner, I was watching Cornell blow a 10-5 run lead to Harvard going into the 8th.     I probably should have turned the channel or gone out to do yard work.   

That is an amazing afternoon for the Yale catcher.  I think going forward you may not see Ivy League HCs pitch to this guy unless they have to.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@PABaseball posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv...utm_medium=copy_link

Prepare to be even more disappointed. This is D1 baseball. Yes that is a D1 field

That's D1 high school baseball and probably in a very small state. No way that is college.  Kids are way too small. That backhand play is actually taught now as a way to go right into the throw off the back leg.  If he takes another step to get in front of it he will need an extra step to balance himself, then pivot, step and throw, by that time the guys 10 more feet down the line.  It's the right play, just not talented enough nor strong enough to pull it off.  I saw a play yesterday made by a third baseman who thought he was a shortstop,  barely had to charge a ball but decided to jump throw to first, batter beat it out by a half step, if he had just pivoted and fired, he would have had him.  FY player, probably was always a SS, he'll learn.  But I kind of half expected it as the kid had enough eyewash going on to outfit a whole team.  Next batter hit a HR to go up by 1.

@fenwaysouth posted:

Sorry Gunner, I was watching Cornell blow a 10-5 run lead to Harvard going into the 8th.     I probably should have turned the channel or gone out to do yard work.   

That is an amazing afternoon for the Yale catcher.  I think going forward you may not see Ivy League HCs pitch to this guy unless they have to.

I'm just thinking what idiot keeps pitching to him.  No way I let one player hit 4 HR's off me.

How good does it have to be going that no one in your bullpen has thrown more than 1 inning in the past 2 weekends in SEC play?  Our starters are going so deep and our bullpen is doing so well that no pitcher has thrown more than 1 inning a weekend for the past 2 weekends out of the bullpen and all starters are underclassmen with 2 being freshmen.

@HSDad22 posted:

That's D1 high school baseball and probably in a very small state. No way that is college.  Kids are way too small. That backhand play is actually taught now as a way to go right into the throw off the back leg.  If he takes another step to get in front of it he will need an extra step to balance himself, then pivot, step and throw, by that time the guys 10 more feet down the line.  It's the right play, just not talented enough nor strong enough to pull it off.  I saw a play yesterday made by a third baseman who thought he was a shortstop,  barely had to charge a ball but decided to jump throw to first, batter beat it out by a half step, if he had just pivoted and fired, he would have had him.  FY player, probably was always a SS, he'll learn.  But I kind of half expected it as the kid had enough eyewash going on to outfit a whole team.  Next batter hit a HR to go up by 1.

It’s Coppin State’s field. It’s in Baltimore. It must be early in the spring. I posted a better picture of the field.

Last edited by RJM

Most people don’t understand the journey for these guys.  Most of the players contributing committed to an SEC team at the bottom of the barrel.  They had not been to sec in 12 years and not been to CWS since 2005.  Most were like my son. He just wanted to go to Hoover one time in his four years.  He did not even dream of CWS much less being on #1 team in the nation.  It has been a fantastic journey.  Some go knowing they will be on top team.  Son just wanted to be a contributor on SEC team. Coach reminded them to enjoy the moment but know that it is easier to get there than stay there.  Right now our depth is unreal.  Have a first round starter who may be in bullpen if we continue to win.  

Son and I went on the driving  father/son baseball blowout spring break trip last week.

Day 1: Doubleheader’s at Northwestern or UIC (3/19) (unfortunately both canceled due to weather)

Day 2: Oakland U at Wright State (12:00 3/20) and Central Michigan at Miami of Ohio  (3:30 3/20)

Day 3: Visit and individual workout at Walters State for the kid.

Day 4: UTSA at Baylor (3/22) Wanted to hit La Tech at LSU but game was canceled due to weather so cruised all the way to Waco. Boo.

Day 5/6/7: Family time and outdoor baseball stuff.  

Day 8: South Dakota State at Oral Roberts (2:00 3/26) and Kansas at Oklahoma State (6:00 3/26)

Day 9: Arkansas at Missouri (3/27)

Time with my son was invaluable as a dad. Being able to see a lot of different teams and styles of baseball was fun for me as a fan of the game and good for my son to see as a player. What a difference between Oakland U (the worst team I saw) and Oklahoma State the best.

@used2lurk wrote, “what a difference between Oakland U (the worst team I saw) and Oklahoma State (the best).

This point is spot on and something that the casual college baseball observer may not understand. All D1 baseball is not the same. At the bottom it isn’t good at all. The best HS teams in FL, TX, & CA could beat lowest level D1 teams. At the other end of the spectrum the best D1 teams are capable of beating an MLB team on a rare occasion. Before I hear from the doubters about that let me offer up an anecdotal experience. The last 2 years I played at Texas A&M we played the Houston Astros right before MLB opening day. They beat us pretty soundly in the Astrodome my junior year. But senior year the Astros came to Olsen Field and we beat them 1-0 in 10 innings when Rodney Hodde hit a solo HR over the batters eye in CF. I was warming up in the bullpen to pitch the 11th when it happened and had a perfect vantage point to admire the majesty of that blast. Nolan Ryan was so pissed that he didn’t go thru the handshake line after the game.

@adbono posted:

@used2lurk wrote, “what a difference between Oakland U (the worst team I saw) and Oklahoma State (the best).

This point is spot on and something that the casual college baseball observer may not understand. All D1 baseball is not the same. At the bottom it isn’t good at all. The best HS teams in FL, TX, & CA could beat lowest level D1 teams. At the other end of the spectrum the best D1 teams are capable of beating an MLB team on a rare occasion. Before I hear from the doubters about that let me offer up an anecdotal experience. The last 2 years I played at Texas A&M we played the Houston Astros right before MLB opening day. They beat us pretty soundly in the Astrodome my junior year. But senior year the Astros came to Olsen Field and we beat them 1-0 in 10 innings when Rodney Hodde hit a solo HR over the batters eye in CF. I was warming up in the bullpen to pitch the 11th when it happened and had a perfect vantage point to admire the majesty of that blast. Nolan Ryan was so pissed that he didn’t go thru the handshake line after the game.

Even though I hate the Aggie’s, this is a great story!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.