Skip to main content

@adbono posted:

In other news, last night in Austin, TX : Texas A&M 12 - University of Texas 9.

Not that it means a lot. Being a midweek game neither team ran out their best arms.  And the Aggies are in a rebuild and not very good this year. But it’s still fun to say. Beating the ‘horns never gets old.

Any other team and I'm with ya.  I know you are an Aggie fan, but I also know, you know what I mean.

@PitchingFan posted:

Drove 6 1/2 hours Friday and spent who knows how much in gas.  Watched son throw 3 pitches to strikeout probably the best contact hitter in Enrique Bradfield and play a part in winning over Vanderbilt.  Money well spent.  The crazy things we do to watch our kids play the game they love.

Congrats!

I didn't travel his weekend and stayed back for the HS opener. I was able to watch Friday night and I said they look like the most complete team since the Oregon St team 4-5 years ago.

What was the official story with the HR that got called back? Never really got explained on the broadcast. Did the umps miss it during inspection or was it never inspected?

Long story short.  Bat sticker came off during bp and player did not say anything    Went to bat and Vandy pitcher saw it had no Vandy sticker on it.  Umpire took it.  Tested again and no problems but hr called out and bat taken until after today’s game.  Had stamp from Wednesday game on it.  Lesson learned.  Check bat for sticker before every at bat.  

My son's D3 team is "on fire" right now.  They went 16-2 in the month of March.  They swept both of their conference series, so they are sitting in 1st place in the conference. 

The starting nine includes two freshmen, two juniors, three seniors and one grad student.  The three regular starting pitchers are a freshman, junior and senior.   I do know one of the senior position players and the senior pitcher are definitely not returning next year; one of the seniors is not sure of his plans and I don't know the status of the third senior.

My son is going to school locally so I've been able to get to most of the games.  He has not been playing but he says he's happy, likes his teammates and most importantly, his grades are good.

Introduced myself to a new parent I had never met before. I was in the corner with my normal group and he was up the line a way by himself. I told him my name, he smiled and said thank you, your son was instrumental in keeping my son on the team this past fall. The kid had some difficult things to work through and so on, he said with out the support of my boy he doesn't believe his would have stayed on the team and possibly not in school at all. I was kind of speechless, certainly proud and honestly suddenly not real concerned about baseball! Was the highlight of my weekend...and it was a good weekend of baseball as well.

Maybe a downer of a post , but….

3 or so years ago a coach came to talk to HS team about birds and the bees. As part of chat, says that alcohols and other drugs/intoxicants are 100% banned. You drink, he finds out, you’re off the team.

Last weekend son and I are wondering why best hitter on said coach’s team isn’t hitting. Turns out he + others are cut due to pot smoking.

As someone who had zero issues with marijuana use, I’m a bit “whatever”. But I applaud said coach for sticking to his guns.

Crazy weekend in college baseball.  The UCF vs Memphis game yesterday with the pine tar incident. That could have turned really ugly. Then for it all to get overturned at the end. The video is very entertaining though, LOL. I had to watch it several times.

Then a bomb threat at the UNC vs Louisville game and the stadium had to be cleared and no spectators allowed back in once play resumed.

@Senna posted:

Maybe a downer of a post , but….

3 or so years ago a coach came to talk to HS team about birds and the bees. As part of chat, says that alcohols and other drugs/intoxicants are 100% banned. You drink, he finds out, you’re off the team.

Last weekend son and I are wondering why best hitter on said coach’s team isn’t hitting. Turns out he + others are cut due to pot smoking.

As someone who had zero issues with marijuana use, I’m a bit “whatever”. But I applaud said coach for sticking to his guns.

Not baseball related, but did you see that the new Grambling State volleyball coach came in and cut all 19 scholarship players?

Last edited by baseballhs
@baseballhs posted:

Not baseball related, but did you see that the new Grambling State volleyball coach came in and cut all 19 scholarship players?

Did not, but reading up on it, sounds like there may be more to it that we all have info on. I've read that not all 19 were cut, and and that this happened after several practices. Also a lot of drama, accuracy of which is definitely hard to pin down.

No matter what the reality ends up being, it's unfortunate for the players and their families. But also not uncommon in the age of the transfer portal, I guess.

What's your opinion on umps not calling HBPs because player didn't try to dodge it?

I think the argument is that it increases player safety because ncaa feels that players are pressured to "take one for the team" and ncaa wants to encourage dodging and taking away the incentive to stay in there but I still don't really like it.

https://twitter.com/O3jfrye/st...UoWyfBmo12Q&s=19

Last edited by Dominik85

When there is a 98 mph FB coming at you, it's pretty hard to get out of the way. I don't believe that someone should be penalized but I do believe that a hitter should be called out when he gets hit continuously for sticking out knees and hands, etc., over the plate.

I don't care what is allowed or not allowed.  His team has about 80+ free passes.

@Dominik85 posted:

What's your opinion on umps not calling HBPs because player didn't try to dodge it?

I think the argument is that it increases player safety because ncaa feels that players are pressured to "take one for the team" and ncaa wants to encourage dodging and taking away the incentive to stay in there but I still don't really like it.

https://twitter.com/O3jfrye/st...UoWyfBmo12Q&s=19

Probably the dumbest rule in the history of baseball. The thing is though that it is based on the umpires judgement. So ultimately you have a ridiculous stupid rule being enforced by an umpire who has the ability to make it right but chooses not to!!

Close second is the elimination of takeout slides at 2nd base.

@old_school posted:

Close second is the elimination of takeout slides at 2nd base.

That's probably the one (if not the the only) rule change I agree with...  My suspicion (no data to support this because I'm lazy) is double-play rates have decreased slightly because of this change. In my opinion, umpires would "concede" the force at second even though the fielder would be nowhere near the bag. They did that to protect the fielder. This made throws to 1st that much easier..

If you happen to take out a fielder on a normal (and legal) hard slide into the bag then the fielding team is penalized for not being quick to clear the bag (as they should be).

My opinion is this rule enforces proper mechanics for both base runners and fielders.

I don't know if folks know this or not.

In the conferences where there is technology, balls and strikes are monitored at the plate. The umpires have to maintain a certain % to stay in that conference or for those in training to get the job. Each  conference with this availability has their own umpires in conference play that rotate games.

After each game a report goes to the conferences as well as coaches. I don't know if this counts on weekday matchups but does when two different conferences have a weekend series. Standards have to be maintained to keep the job or get it.

I dont know what's standard. I just know there is accountability.

This is why we tend to question why a strike is a ball or ball is a strike.

I am not sure that umpires are not questioned on the report.

That's where the challenge comes in during a game. 

Last edited by TPM

Posting here now- what is up with Texas college baseball?  Pitcher levels player rounding third after he hits home run…check out video  

https://twitter.com/roflo/stat...aEw8KRv45q7SfpCKpg2A

That occurred in a game between conference opponents in Region 5. I was watching the game and saw it happen. Have never seen anything like it in my life at any level. I know both these teams pretty well and can tell you that one of them is the mouthiest bunch I have ever heard in my life. To me, this is a result of allowing bat flips, hand gestures, and other forms of showing up an opponent that some people think is entertaining. I say it’s trash and can lead to this. I’m in no way condoning this incident but respect for the game and respect for your opponent needs to be restored. This incident may keep the instigating team out of post season play. Bad deal all the way around.

Going to assume the kid wasn't exactly a choir boy when he was rounding the bases.

That being said - pitcher has 34 others on the team and nobody was exactly in a rush to pull him out of the angry mob that was forming - aside from the catcher. Going to assume this was not that much of a surprise to them.

Good news is if he gets kicked off the baseball team I'm sure the football team would love to have him. That was a fundamentally sound hit. 15 yards for defenseless receiver but it looked good.

@PABaseball posted:

Going to assume the kid wasn't exactly a choir boy when he was rounding the bases.

That being said - pitcher has 34 others on the team and nobody was exactly in a rush to pull him out of the angry mob that was forming - aside from the catcher. Going to assume this was not that much of a surprise to them.

Good news is if he gets kicked off the baseball team I'm sure the football team would love to have him. That was a fundamentally sound hit. 15 yards for defenseless receiver but it looked good.

The team in the field has a post season berth at stake. Their players kept their composure in an attempt to not have the game declared a forfeit b/c of their participation. It wasn’t about not coming to the aid of a teammate - it was about trying not to watch their season go up in smoke right in front of their eyes. But they weren’t successful. The other team (that was batting) is a cellar dweller and has nothing to lose (except maybe a coach) so they baited the P and he took the bait. Region rules are if benches clear the game, and the next 2 are declared forfeits - and that’s what’s happened so far.

My son goes to Hill which is in this conference and we have already played both teams this year.  Played for years with players on both of these teams.  I sure didn't see much taunting from the batter on the video and what I saw this season is that when NCTC is down in the game like they were prior to this HR, they are extremely quiet and look disinterested in the game. 

I know what the rules are, but there has to be some exception given for NCTC.  They watched their player get assaulted 15 feet in front of them and their response was what it should have been.  They didn't attack or try to fight other Weatherford players.  If I saw a team sit on the bench when that happened, I would be so ashamed of them.  Good job by the NCTC teammates!

@adbono, I will certainly defer to you because of your years of watching them. Still, I don't blame any of the kids on the NCTC team.  Everyone in the baseball world knows about this event because trash talking wasn't dealt with like it normally is every other game.

One thing about their cellar dweller status.  I see that as a result of their coach not over recruiting and if you go there, you are going to play.  They simply don't have the numbers that other teams do and its like a 4A school playing 4 games against a 6A school every week.  You aren't going to win a lot, but you are going to get on the field, get your numbers and move on to your 4 year school.  Do you agree with that?

What's funny is that before yesterday's games, I was telling my father that the only chance of Hill making the playoffs was for a team to end up forfeiting a bunch of games due to their record against teams ahead of them.  And I'm sure you know what happened to our 10 run and 5 run leads in back to back games yesterday...so that window of opportunity went away quickly.

#8 ranked Virginia Tech Hokies (not the other VA team in Charlottesville) are playing at Fenway Park this Saturday to honor former BC captain Pete Frates and ALS awareness.   I really wish I could be there.  Definitely will be streaming the game wherever I am this weekend.   Hokies are on a roll.

https://hokiesports.com/news/2...2-als-awareness-game

https://hokiesports.com/news/2...rs-top-25-polls.aspx

@2020txcatch posted:

@adbono, I will certainly defer to you because of your years of watching them. Still, I don't blame any of the kids on the NCTC team.  Everyone in the baseball world knows about this event because trash talking wasn't dealt with like it normally is every other game.

One thing about their cellar dweller status.  I see that as a result of their coach not over recruiting and if you go there, you are going to play.  They simply don't have the numbers that other teams do and its like a 4A school playing 4 games against a 6A school every week.  You aren't going to win a lot, but you are going to get on the field, get your numbers and move on to your 4 year school.  Do you agree with that?

What's funny is that before yesterday's games, I was telling my father that the only chance of Hill making the playoffs was for a team to end up forfeiting a bunch of games due to their record against teams ahead of them.  And I'm sure you know what happened to our 10 run and 5 run leads in back to back games yesterday...so that window of opportunity went away quickly.

I will be happy to share my thoughts about  NCTC in a PM. But not publicly

I see on ESPN that the kid has been suspended 4 games which for a pitcher is like none.  ESPN has the full clip up in the article on the suspension. No bat flip, the kid who hit the HR doesn’t appear to be chirping at the pitcher and the HR trot was normal pace.  There has to be a history between the two guys.  

Dude, the kid was talking sh*t all the way around the bases. Lots of words beginning with F.

@adbono posted:

Dude, the kid was talking sh*t all the way around the bases. Lots of words beginning with F.

You can tell in the video that words were being said. After he rounds 2B, he turns his head toward the pitcher for a moment and obviously says something. Right after the field umpire starts pointing at the runner almost like he was getting ready to eject him.

I just read that he was taunting.  I know you are not condoning the pitcher's actions in response to words.  No question the pitcher was at fault here.  Do you coach Weatherford or something?  This has hit a nerve with you.

It hasn’t hit a nerve but I’m not a casual fan when it comes to Region 5 JuCo baseball.  I know exactly what happened and I have explained it in previous posts.

Son's season is over due to shoulder pain.  Going for contrast MRI next Thursday, Labrum concerns.  Life of a pitcher.  He wasn't getting many opportunities but did very well with the ones he got.  The team is in first, he will watch the remainder of the season.   

The article below got my attention.   This player is currently ending his 7-year college career.... not a typo.  Good for him.  Got his master's, and could have become a lawyer too I guess with the three extra years.

https://www.baseballjournal.co...year-college-career/

Son got his first college win today. Came in with 2 outs in the 5th with tying and go ahead runs on base. Tying run scored. He then held them scoreless until his team could walk it off in btm 10. Longest college outing to date, and a high in strikeouts. Has been a tough season up until the last few weeks, very happy for him.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.