Skip to main content

My D3 freshman kid got his first college hit today.  He hasn’t had many opportunities this season, as the roster is loaded with upperclassmen, especially at his positions (3B/1B/DH), but he’s embraced working while he waits

Down 5-4 in the sixth inning in a big conference game, with runners on second and third, coach sent him out to pinch-hit for the catcher who has been struggling lately.  And he scorched a first pitch fastball for the RBI single to tie the game

Sons team lost in conference semi's today, ending the season (no at large), and then the trainer grabbed him with his MRI results - Torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff.  Won't play baseball again unless he gets surgery and my son's initial reaction is no surgery.  Of course, we will get a second opinion.  I asked why no surgery and he said because he saw how my surgeries didn't help.  My Labrum surgery actually did help me play tennis again but throwing a baseball does hurt.  There is always a risk going in the shoulder, but if a labrum tear is going to stop you from baseball, tennis, golf, bowling etc  and you are only 19 years old you pretty much have no choice but to get it right?  This might be the end of his college career...... He didn't get much opportunity, but if this is the end he pitched to a 2.45 ERA (yeah only 3.2 innings but it is what it is). I hope he gets the surgery and comes back next year.

Sorry to hear that Gunner, it is sure a shame when an injury results in a career defining decision.  I was in a similar place thought wise as you are initially.  I ultimately realized that it was my son's body and his choice to make after learning what he would have to go through.  It was extremely hard for me to comprehend his decision when he elected not to have surgery after working so hard + struggling so mightily just to get on the field to play.  I wish nothing but the best for your son + family coming to a decision and moving forward.

Sons team lost in conference semi's today, ending the season (no at large), and then the trainer grabbed him with his MRI results - Torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff.  Won't play baseball again unless he gets surgery and my son's initial reaction is no surgery.  Of course, we will get a second opinion.  I asked why no surgery and he said because he saw how my surgeries didn't help.  My Labrum surgery actually did help me play tennis again but throwing a baseball does hurt.  There is always a risk going in the shoulder, but if a labrum tear is going to stop you from baseball, tennis, golf, bowling etc  and you are only 19 years old you pretty much have no choice but to get it right?  This might be the end of his college career...... He didn't get much opportunity, but if this is the end he pitched to a 2.45 ERA (yeah only 3.2 innings but it is what it is). I hope he gets the surgery and comes back next year.

I agree with you. Have it now while he is young and let the program cover expenses.

Keep us posted.

@TPM posted:

I agree with you. Have it now while he is young and let the program cover expenses.

Keep us posted.

The question of who covers it is a very good one.  I know the school recommends its doctor too - the Red Sox doc.  I guess tomorrow I will figure it all out. The issue is the semester is over, so he's coming home tomorrow am but still just 3 hours to Boston if we use Red Sox doc.

The question of who covers it is a very good one.  I know the school recommends its doctor too - the Red Sox doc.  I guess tomorrow I will figure it all out. The issue is the semester is over, so he's coming home tomorrow am but still just 3 hours to Boston if we use Red Sox doc.

Most D3 schools will not cover the cost of the surgery in the conventional way. Most likely they will ask you to file a claim with your own insurer. However, if the school carries secondary insurance (and I can’t imagine that they don’t) they should be able to cover your out if pocket costs with that. If that’s the case, ask them to pay those costs directly to the providers - as opposed to you doing it and looking for reimbursement from the school. Hope it works out fir your son.

@adbono posted:

Most D3 schools will not cover the cost of the surgery in the conventional way. Most likely they will ask you to file a claim with your own insurer. However, if the school carries secondary insurance (and I can’t imagine that they don’t) they should be able to cover your out if pocket costs with that. If that’s the case, ask them to pay those costs directly to the providers - as opposed to you doing it and looking for reimbursement from the school. Hope it works out fir your son.

Very helpful. Thanks adbono.

Very sorry Gunner. Your son is very young, whatever path he takes seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and will be more than ok. Wishing you and your family the best.

Can only speak from experience with my son's teammates (low level D1). They were all better off  handling initial diagnosis and surgery themselves if that was an option. Seemed like going through the school took forever.

Last edited by nycdad

Sons team lost in conference semi's today, ending the season (no at large), and then the trainer grabbed him with his MRI results - Torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff.  Won't play baseball again unless he gets surgery and my son's initial reaction is no surgery.  Of course, we will get a second opinion.  I asked why no surgery and he said because he saw how my surgeries didn't help.

Sorry to hear about your son's injury. Shoulder problems are tough for pitchers, but not always insurmountable. I would encourage him to talk to the surgeon even if he is sure that his college playing days are over. There might be benefits to having it repaired now before it gets worse, and while he's young and healthy. I've had multiple surgeries on both shoulders, and while the rehab was brutal, my quality of life is so much better now. As you know, living with shoulder pain and ROM limitations sucks. Good luck.

So his school doesn't pick up anything.  The trainer was nice, he sent my son the readout on his MRI and sent a link to the school's insurance policies.  They are not recommending their surgeon either, which is odd but ok.  I don't have an issue putting on our insurance but getting the actual MRI images are a bit of a challenge as he's leaving MA today, BUT we figured it out.

We decided my wife will go with him to his second opinion, I would lean too heavily to surgery and he would lean the other way.  She will ask all the right questions and be able to move our son in the right decision.   His semester grades came in today and they are his best yet, so that will be our takeaway.

Gunner, sorry to hear.  was looking forward to seeing some Conference contests between the two teams next year.

I'm sure your son needs a little time to get past the disappointment and then evaluate what decision is best for him, from what you've said he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders.  No suggestion either way here, but surgery has come a long way in short period of time and quality of life is an important aspect for someone so young and active.  I'm sure he'll have a million questions prepared for the doctor to make the final decision.

Best wishes

Clay

@adbono posted:

Lots of moving parts the past few days, so I want to clarify my comment that the school doesn't pick up anything.  As usual, adbono is correct.  His school carries secondary insurance.   This covers any out of pocket co-pays, deductibles or out of pocket expenses that are not covered by our primary insurance.  It has a $1,500 deductible per injury with a coverage maximum of $90,000.  This is pretty reasonable.

NCAA's catastrophic injury insurance policy:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/20...surance-program.aspx

This seems or be insurance above and beyond the secondary insurance provided by colleges in case of major surgeries.  Very interesting.  The secondary insurance covers up to $90k after a $1,500 deductible then this NCAA policy would kick in.   I feel like I personally have a good feel on this stuff now.  The injuries needed for this extra insurance would certainly be catastrophic!

We can't get anyone to bite on shampoo or even mustache wax.

When he pitches, they talk more about his mustache and hair than his pitching which has been decent.  28 innings, 1.29 era, 29K's, 3 walks and 1 HR.  one of the walks was a you got four pitches to strike this kid out but you better not throw him a strike.  If he swings, good but don't let him hit it.

@PitchingFan posted:

We can't get anyone to bite on shampoo or even mustache wax.

When he pitches, they talk more about his mustache and hair than his pitching which has been decent.  28 innings, 1.29 era, 29K's, 3 walks and 1 HR.  one of the walks was a you got four pitches to strike this kid out but you better not throw him a strike.  If he swings, good but don't let him hit it.

you are doing a fine job underselling, that is a very good season...with much more to come yet this spring it appears!

My son's D3 team just made it to the NCAA tourney as an at large team!  They were eliminated on Saturday in their conference tournament, and thought because they didn't make it to the finals, their at large chances were gone.  Their first game is Friday.  Of course, the first game is also the same day that our oldest is graduating from college!  My son is not expecting to make the travel roster but he won't find out until Thursday.  Small world - my husband played Little League ball with the pitching coach of the host school.  Now I have to tweak my budget to buy some tourney swag!

@VA_Mom posted:

My son's D3 team just made it to the NCAA tourney as an at large team!  They were eliminated on Saturday in their conference tournament, and thought because they didn't make it to the finals, their at large chances were gone.  Their first game is Friday.  Of course, the first game is also the same day that our oldest is graduating from college!  My son is not expecting to make the travel roster but he won't find out until Thursday.  Small world - my husband played Little League ball with the pitching coach of the host school.  Now I have to tweak my budget to buy some tourney swag!

If I recall they were only allowed to roster 27 or so for the NCAA. I hope he makes the travel team, it is a great experience. On my sons team they took all the players they just weren't in uniform on the bench.

The level of play makes a big jump forward from the regular season.

Update:  Labrum surgery yesterday went well.  Time will tell how successful for a pitcher.  Today should be the worst day for him; he refused pain meds.  The next update on this will come in the 2023 college season discussion topic or 2022 College fall topic if there is one.

I am glad to hear it. Did the clinician offer non opioid based pain meds? I think you should consider keeping them around. The pain can be intense during recovery and he need to get as much uninterrupted sleep as possible

Update:  Labrum surgery yesterday went well.  Time will tell how successful for a pitcher.  Today should be the worst day for him; he refused pain meds.  The next update on this will come in the 2023 college season discussion topic or 2022 College fall topic if there is one.

Happy to hear it went well. As a fellow labrum repair veteran (both shoulders), I have to ask... how many anchors? Also, if he can't sleep because of the pain and discomfort, he could try sleeping in a recliner or in a reclined position. Best of luck.

@2022NYC posted:

I am glad to hear it. Did the clinician offer non opioid based pain meds? I think you should consider keeping them around. The pain can be intense during recovery and he need to get as much uninterrupted sleep as possible

Sleeping will be an issue.  Sleeping in a sling is tough too.   He has gabapentin for nerve pain, ketorolac for anti-inflammatory, Extra Strength Tylenol for pain too, and baby aspirin for clots.  His pain level is still low but he's not 24 hours out.  I know it will be painful.... we can call for the real stuff if needed but he is anti opioids.  His buddy had ligament surgery on Tuesday and he also declined opioids. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.