Skip to main content

@RJM posted:

You chose a picture that doesn’t show the entire story. It doesn’t show the pitcher’s view of the play. Show this play looking up the first base line from home plate. It’s obvious the pitcher had no chance. That’s my opinion. The call was made. I’m done.

Interesting you say that! I was thinking the same thing. What everyone doesn't see is the perspective of the home plate umpire who must make that call in real-time without the benefit of replay. In this case the collision at first base (while not having any bearing on the rule) most certainly influenced the call. That collision probably reenforced what the umpire observed (one of his many jobs is to look for running lane violations on every play at first) as the batter/runner starts in foul territory and moves to fair and then completely collides with the first baseman. He may have thought the 1B didn't catch the ball because he was taken out by the runner. Had the collision not occurred (direct path from outside the running lane) he MAY not have made the call. Had the batter/runner collided full-on (as it happened) without the running lane violation there would have been NO CALL.  Collisions at 1B happen all the time and there is no call because most of the time there is NO running lane violation.

Note in the frame below the baseball is in the 1B's mitt. It clearly drops out due to the collision (the white speck to the left of the 2B's foot is the umpires shoe, not the ball). Had the runner been in the running lane (even with the collision) he would have been safe as there would be no call for the umpire. In that case the play is what umpires call a "train wreck."

Simple rule, simple ruling.

I apologize for going on about it but while I do think umpires make some bad calls this is not one of them.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
@ABSORBER posted:

Interesting you say that! I was thinking the same thing. What everyone doesn't see is the perspective of the home plate umpire who must make that call in real-time without the benefit of replay. In this case the collision at first base (while not having any bearing on the rule) most certainly influenced the call. That collision probably reenforced what the umpire observed (one of his many jobs is to look for running lane violations on every play at first) as the batter/runner starts in foul territory and moves to fair and then completely collides with the first baseman. He may have thought the 1B didn't catch the ball because he was taken out by the runner. Had the collision not occurred (direct path from outside the running lane) he MAY not have made the call. Had the batter/runner collided full-on (as it happened) without the running lane violation there would have been NO CALL.  Collisions at 1B happen all the time and there is no call because most of the time there is NO running lane violation.

Note in the frame below the baseball is in the 1B's mitt. It clearly drops out due to the collision (the white speck to the left of the 2B's foot is the umpires shoe, not the ball). Had the runner been in the running lane (even with the collision) he would have been safe as there would be no call for the umpire. In that case the play is what umpires call a "train wreck."

Simple rule, simple ruling.

I apologize for going on about it but while I do think umpires make some bad calls this is not one of them.

OK, upon further review, the ball is not exactly in his glove.  Almost and perhaps could have been with no collision!

@PitchingFan posted:

AFF0B5E6-76C2-4D63-9D69-EC751D88DE415407E82C-9F9A-44D5-A157-54DE9EFE9D6BUsing the platform For the right reason. Some of the University of Tennessee baseball players spent a couple of hours this morning at the East Tennessee children’s hospital. They did a great job of interacting with the children, parents, and staff.

I can't go into a clinic or dentist office without a total health screening and a mask, but this Children's Hospital allowed college kids to hold a newborn baby and hang out with cancer patients?!?  Great photo opps, but wow!

I can't go into a clinic or dentist office without a total health screening and a mask, but this Children's Hospital allowed college kids to hold a newborn baby and hang out with cancer patients?!?  Great photo opps, but wow!

Some people have figured out that all the focus on health is about creating fear. Even more have figured out that cloth masks do no good whatsoever. They are all about control. Apparently you are not among those. You can think what you want but taking a potshot at this photo is awfully low.

Sorry not a photo opp.  These six young men on the day before their Super Regional started took three hours out of their day on their own initiative, not sponsored by the school or team, to visit with families of kids going through a tough time.  The parents of all the patients had to request for the players to come in.  They also went across the street to a school.  These are young men who get that they are blessed to play a game.  

@adbono posted:

Some people have figured out that all the focus on health is about creating fear. Even more have figured out that cloth masks do no good whatsoever. They are all about control. Apparently you are not among those. You can think what you want but taking a potshot at this photo is awfully low.

Ha!  My apologies for caring about other people's health.  I guess that's a bad look.  Seriously??  Stop making it political.  I am actually 'among those' who do believe that masks are pointless.  My point was that most hospitals don't even allow an extra person to go into the room with them let alone a group of random college kids.  I wasn't even allowed to go into the ER with my daughter so yes, my curiosity was peeked to see a hospital allowed this.  End of story.

Ha!  My apologies for caring about other people's health.  I guess that's a bad look.  Seriously??  Stop making it political.  I am actually 'among those' who do believe that masks are pointless.  My point was that most hospitals don't even allow an extra person to go into the room with them let alone a group of random college kids.  I wasn't even allowed to go into the ER with my daughter so yes, my curiosity was peeked to see a hospital allowed this.  End of story.

You owe an apology to PitchingFan. Not me. I don’t care what narrative you believe. Btw, what’s going in in your home state isn’t the same as other parts of the country. And you can save your virtue signaling for another time and place.

@adbono posted:

You owe an apology to PitchingFan. Not me. I don’t care what narrative you believe. Btw, what’s going in in your home state isn’t the same as other parts of the country. And you can save your virtue signaling for another time and place.

Seriously??  I'm not sure why you are so triggered about me questioning a hospital allowing in college kids?  Why does that bother you so much?  First of all, it had nothing to do with the players AT ALL but more curiosity as to how the hospital allowed it which I think I explained.   Secondly, virtue signaling?  What are you even talking about?  I don't see a reason to be so defensive and attacking me for asking a question.  I asked.  It was explained that parents had to agree on it before they came into the rooms and end of story.  Let it go.

When you insinuate that you care more about other people’s health than I do by acting in a certain way that doesn’t actually protect anyone else, that is virtue signaling. That’s just an observation. Hospitals in many states are allowing visitors as shown in the photo. Not unusual and not unsafe. It’s been going on for years. These are college baseball players performing community service. It’s an admirable thing for them to do. For you to call it a photo op is an insult to the players involved. You can feign innocence all you want but it doesn’t change what you did.

@adbono posted:

Hey, if your post came across in a way that wasn’t intended I get that. Just make it right and I will be happy to let it go.

Make what right?  Right the way you see it?  You may see it as "not unusual and not unsafe" but other areas of the country see it differently.  So I am good with how I stand and I won't "make it right" (whatever that means to you) in order for you to let it go.  Have a nice day!

Make what right?  Right the way you see it?  You may see it as "not unusual and not unsafe" but other areas of the country see it differently.  So I am good with how I stand and I won't "make it right" (whatever that means to you) in order for you to let it go.  Have a nice day!

That’s about what I expected. Let’s just brush off the fact that you looked at a picture of college baseball players performing community service and called it a photo op. On a site dedicated to baseball. No need to apologize to the father of one of the players you insulted, who is a regular poster on this site who actually adds baseball content. Nope, no need for that at all. Why would anyone do that? I gave you a way out and you chose not to take it. Most of us have made a post at some point that came across in a way unintended and then they handle it however they handle it.

This picture brings back memories. My kids never visited babies. But they visited young children. They were awed just that they played a sport and handed out baseballs and softballs or stuffed animals had such healing power in the moment. They were amazed they saw themselves as no one special and the kids perked up when they visited.

The kids from Tennessee are probably considered gods to young kids right now. It has a tremendous positive effect on their day.

When my kids were old enough to get it I told them as I’ve told people here, if you think life isn’t fair look at what these kids have to deal with.

I’ve never forgotten an experience I had in a parking lot almost 34 years ago. My daughter had just been born. The pregnancy was difficult. It was a big relief she was healthy. As I walked across the bank parking lot I saw a little girl in leg braces. All I could think was how unfair it was and started crying.

Last edited by RJM
@adbono posted:

That’s about what I expected. Let’s just brush off the fact that you looked at a picture of college baseball players performing community service and called it a photo op. On a site dedicated to baseball. No need to apologize to the father of one of the players you insulted, who is a regular poster on this site who actually adds baseball content. Nope, no need for that at all. Why would anyone do that? I gave you a way out and you chose not to take it. Most of us have made a post at some point that came across in a way unintended and then they handle it however they handle it.

Expected what?  You don't even know me!!  You are purely judging...not a good look!  Give me a way out?  Out of what?  Do you hear yourself?  Insulted?  Was there not a photo taken and posted online?  Hence, a photo opp no matter what its intent, still a photo opp.  Doesn't everyone have a right to their opinion?  Or is it only for the opinions and baseball content that YOU agree with?  I was going to private message you, but I wanted others to see that there are other opinions on this board and not just yours regardless of the intimidation I have seen when you comment on other posts as well!   You did get one thing right, this is a site dedicated to baseball.  I found this a couple years ago as my son was starting the recruiting process and chose to just "creep" rather than make an accountant.  I had some questions so decided to make an account, but I guess there are only certain people on this board that add "baseball content" to your standards.  My bad.  My post came across exactly the way I intended, but you chose to twist it and make it into something else.     

Well Congratulations @adbono, you can continue to "bully" and "intimidate" others on this site because you seem very angry and bitter, but I don't need to deal with it because my son is a DI baseball player, who started 32 games as a true freshman, didn't go JUCO and has a 60% scholarship so we got what we need and are moving on!   Maybe it is time for you to consider that yourself.

I will apologize to everyone on here that had to read this and I hope everyone else finds what they need on here, but I am OUT!!

Ty Adbono and RJMThe guys who came got it.  Interesting there were at least 4 top 3 round guys there.  And one who had a rough week last week.  I reminded them they get to play a game.  And on their worst day on the field and probably in life that their day is better than the kids and families in there.  It was very humbling.  One of them said I almost slept in this morning but I’m glad I woke up at 8:15 to be here and experience this.  

@PitchingFan posted:

Ty Adbono and RJMThe guys who came got it.  Interesting there were at least 4 top 3 round guys there.  And one who had a rough week last week.  I reminded them they get to play a game.  And on their worst day on the field and probably in life that their day is better than the kids and families in there.  It was very humbling.  One of them said I almost slept in this morning but I’m glad I woke up at 8:15 to be here and experience this.  

You’re welcome. Not that I think you need my help, but that really pissed me off. To demean community service as a photo op to me was inexcusable. To insinuate that they were not observing safe health practices was ridiculous. But hey, I have said some things on here that I have walked back after realizing how they came across. A lot of us have. But to double down on those comments after the fact?! Wow!

<sigh> it's an indication of the times we live - we keep hoping people can focus on the topic at hand and it's just not possible. If you ignore it, it won't go away... If you get involved, it spirals out of control quickly. I certainly do understand why the question was asked, just the context was frustrating. This black and white (or whatever color you use ;-)) world of text on a page doesn't easily allow conveyance of meaning even with emojis.

In any case, awesome pictures and story. When these young men "get it" about giving back without being asked, it says a lot about their character. Kudos to them and their families.

I think we all agree these young men should be commended for their active community involvement...it really gives me hope for the next generation, especially when I have to go into high level labor negotiations with my younger one whenever I ask him to do a chore. Kudos to the parents for fostering this environment.

Last edited by 2022NYC
@JCG posted:

That was rough.  Don't know who I'm going to root for in Omaha  now.  UConn, I guess, if they make it. They have a player who my son played Legion and Connie Mack with.  Santa Rosa JC standout, right @Consultant ?  There's another with Michigan, but they are already out.

Well, UConn will have to win tomorrow.  Yes UConn can hit and can come back tonight and Stanford pitching is in a rut but this game is already over.  Tomorrow night's starter is from my town and my son has played against numerous players (1 starter) and with one in summer ball  (reliever but stared elim game in regionals).  Since I am from CT I know a lot of these guys and would be excited if they can find a way but Stanford can hit.....

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Well, UConn will have to win tomorrow.  Yes UConn can hit and can come back tonight and Stanford pitching is in a rut but this game is already over.  Tomorrow night's starter is from my town and my son has played against numerous players (1 starter) and with one in summer ball  (reliever but stared elim game in regionals).  Since I am from CT I know a lot of these guys and would be excited if they can find a way but Stanford can hit.....

Looks like the guy from my town didn't get the start but Ian Cooke did!  He's the guy who pitched great in last elim game and my son played summer ball with him.   Freshman starts again with season on the line!  Of course, I have a meeting from 5 to 6 tonight and the game just started (at 4pm EST).  I will have it up on my computer.  Go UCONN.

*Stanford is/was just too good.  Cooke only got one inning 2ER and the guy from my town 1/3rd inning, 2 hits 1 ER.  Tough one but a great run by UCONN this year.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Smart move by UConn coaching staff to get a lot of bullpen arms into the game. Unfortunately a few of them are throwing BP, but they are all getting their feet wet in a big game. It’s very unlikely that UConn comes back to even make a game of this - but even if they don’t they are building for next year right now.

I was waiting a few days to see if @PitchingFan was going to post a wrap up, but I did want to say something before the CWS starts.

As a baseball fan who never followed college baseball closely this Tennessee team really pulled me into the sport.

Unbelievably talented and entertaining team to watch. Can't say I supported some of the antics, but every good movie needs a bad guy.

By the end I found myself rooting against the Vols while pulling for @PitchingFan son. As he is one of the most helpful, classiest posters on this site and by all indications his son is following in his footsteps.

Just wanted to say congratulations on your son's amazing season and please keep us updated on his career.

Gave social media and message boards a few days off.  I have agreed on here that a couple of the players took the "antics" overboard but that does not diminish the team as a whole.  I've never been one to agree with the bad apple spoils the entire container mindset.  We had a couple of guys who did some things that were over the top by almost everyone watching, definitely including me.  But the team as a whole were good guys who put together a great season and it ended with a myriad of distractions the one weekend you could not have distractions.  ND is a great team that played a great series and we did not.  But my was a part of a great team, can't win that many games and not be, that will be a part of a great journey for him.  He still has 2 years left and I do not think he will be drafted high enough this year, if he is drafted, to draw him away.  He is looking forward to a great offseason and a great season next year but you never know.  A lot of things have to fall into place.  He has done a good job of finding his niche and using it for a platform that has done a lot of good and will continue that path.  Thank you to everyone on here that has supported him.

No idea, but after taking down the heavily favored #1 team last weekend and upsetting Adbono's favorite team last night the guys with the shiny gold helmets have to be in the mix.  And it would be very appropriate for the 2022 champs to be a bunch grad students playing with Covid year eligibility.

Last edited by JCG

Well, the CWS is underway.  Who is the favorite?

Well after the first two games the favorite to win it all is actually Notre Dame at +300.  Oklahoma is +400. That will change if Stanford wins game 1 is my guess.  Stanford is the fav to come out of the other bracket at +500 but Arkansas is the #2 fav in that bracket, not Auburn.   

For personal reasons, anybody but Arkansas for me.  They should have won a few years ago too but dropped a pop up.... One of my favorite former bosses was recruited to play at Auburn, with Bo Jackson, but injuries took him down.  I will be pulling for Auburn.  Also, their first baseman is a blast, 6' 1" 263 pounds!  He's worth the price of admission.

Anybody but Auburn please...

In the 2017 my kid was the surprise Friday/Saturday starter for Arkansas (a reliever in juco), and my eldest schedules his wedding in season on Saturday afternoon (and expects his brother to attend). It took some time explain that his brother couldn't blow off his Auburn start to attend the service... The game started a couple hours before the nuptials, and it wasn't long before I wished he'd blown off the Auburn start to attend the wedding - he got rocked and it was the shortest outing of his college career (only game that season I didn't attend). I still tense at the mention of Auburn baseball...

Wait, anybody but Stanford too...

I went to HS and lived in the shadow of Stanford (Portola Valley) think the movie Breaking Away, except we were still in HS and the quarry was a spot on private property called Felt Lake. I can neither confirm or deny that the Stanford campus grass is the best for doing donuts... We hated those arrogant kids, but I'd have been first to do a cartwheel if my kids had an opportunity to go there...  

So for me it's GO RAZORBACKS! Everyone has different experiences, the kid's 2017 team missed the supers by a single W - but for him and the family, that season was the most fun we've had in the baseball journey!  

Last edited by JucoDad
@JucoDad posted:

Anybody but Auburn please...

In the 2017 my kid was the surprise Friday/Saturday starter for Arkansas (a reliever in juco), and my eldest schedules his wedding in season on Saturday afternoon (and expects his brother to attend). It took some time explain that his brother couldn't blow off his Auburn start to attend the service... The game started a couple hours before the nuptials, and it wasn't long before I wished he'd blown off the Auburn start to attend the wedding - he got rocked and it was the shortest outing of his college career (only game that season I didn't attend). I still tense at the mention of Auburn baseball...

So for me it's GO RAZORBACKS! Everyone has different experiences, the kid's 2017 team missed the supers by a single W - but for him and the family, that season was the most fun we've had in the baseball journey!  

I will ignore my petty and personal negative experience from a HUGE Arkansas baseball fan that roomed with the Dave Van Horn at Arkansas.  Go Razorbacks but still prefer Auburn...

@JCG posted:

No idea, but after taking down the heavily favored #1 team last weekend and upsetting Adbono's favorite team last night the guys with the shiny gold helmets have to be in the mix.  And it would be very appropriate for the 2022 champs to be a bunch grad students playing with Covid year eligibility.

Yes, I very much appreciated ND doing that last night.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.