Skip to main content

I am happy with the Ole Miss win, though I thought OU made an impressive run.

I read last week that Mike Bianco has been at Ole Miss for 22 seasons. That's incredible. He was asked to interview for the LSU position last year but declined. He stayed the course and it paid off for him, his players and the fans.

Last edited by TPM

Ole Miss probably the last team to make the tournament and I didn't think they belonged. Shows how little I know.

Even OU. Before their Big 12 tournament run they were something along the lines of 32-21 which is a fringe at large bid. They still probably get in with a few good series/NC wins but still.

Pretty impressive for both to go on the runs that they did. SEC is going to be even wilder when they expand.

OU won the Big12. They felt that they got ignored having to travel to Gainesville. They won the deciding game after a 5 hour rain delay. I think that fueled the beast.

I had posted that Ole Miss didn't even make the SEC tourney. I wonder if that helped in the end, less games on pitchers arms.

Ole Miss and OU, IMO had the best pitching staffs.

@PitchingFan posted:

Rumor has it that LSU has received large investments to make their baseball team successful and it will be on display in coaches salaries and NIL deals.  We've already seen that this week.  Will be interesting to see where else they throw money to win.  Large group of fans in LSU that love their baseball.

Most sites I have seen big programs with NIL numbers for football, basketball women's and men's no baseball.

@d-mac posted:

A&M, LSU and Miss St seem to be the big 3 in NIL baseball spending.   My Hogs better get with it or we will get left behind.  Seems like we are putting every dime into football and basketball.   

They have to comply within the laws of each state. I know Florida's law goes into effect next week.

IMO, the big endorsements will go to football and basketball. But all student athletes have opportunities to learn how to make money.

I think I saw the average was like 4k+.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Everybody thinks when they see that baseball players have NIL deals that they are getting rich but I don't think that is the case.  There are a few that the schools are paying to come play which I think should be changed.  The NIL should have to be an endorsement from someone for the use of their Name, Image, and/or Likeness, as it says.  Just paying someone to come to school should be stopped.  But once you open the can there is no way to unopen it.  My son has multiple deals which altogether net him a few thousand dollars which he will have to pay taxes on so very little when it comes down to it.  Plus the NIL deals are being brokered at a lot of schools by companies that are getting rich while paying the athletes very little.  We are in the early stages of a problem with one at our school because they set the deal and are trying to override individual agreements with athletes and businesses.

LSU is desperate to return to relevance. The dollars being spent there are outrageous. I stated the general amounts and that’s enough to frame it. Not saying I like it. But not liking something doesn’t make it not true. Same goes for not being aware of it. That also doesn’t make it not true. The genie is out of the bottle.

@PTWood posted:

@adbono I actually believe both. That LSU is maximizing the NIL opening and that some of the reports have been exaggerated. Both of those guys and other recipients of significant NIL $$ are either contemporaries, former teammates and/or good friends of my son’s so I will not comment further.

Yes, it’s possible for both of those things to be true. My sources are pretty good too

@PitchingFan posted:

Everybody thinks when they see that baseball players have NIL deals that they are getting rich but I don't think that is the case.  There are a few that the schools are paying to come play which I think should be changed.  The NIL should have to be an endorsement from someone for the use of their Name, Image, and/or Likeness, as it says.  Just paying someone to come to school should be stopped.  But once you open the can there is no way to unopen it.  My son has multiple deals which altogether net him a few thousand dollars which he will have to pay taxes on so very little when it comes down to it.  Plus the NIL deals are being brokered at a lot of schools by companies that are getting rich while paying the athletes very little.  We are in the early stages of a problem with one at our school because they set the deal and are trying to override individual agreements with athletes and businesses.

I agree with you on this. NIL doesn't mean that you can just throw money at kids. That's not how it works and not meant to be that way and I think once these kids get to their destination they are going to be surprised. They haven't even set foot on campus. The NCAA lost its case and the court never asked to have them set rules. I see the conferences stepping in.

I made a mistake Florida put a law into place last year to protect the players. Not sure where they are with it today.

I read that the student athletes who are influences are kicking it. Mainly women athletes. They accept athletic products to wear and post online and give reviews. They get paid by the number of followers they have. I think I read that one has reaped in about 300k from last year wearing athletic gear.

I also read that many schools help athletes to learn how to market themselves, not just throwing money at them.

Barstool article:  4 start QB Jaden Rashada reportedly received $9.6m from Miami NIL collective after turning down $11m from Florida but everyone is denying everything.

I was born at the wrong time (and also without enough athleticism).

I don't know about 11 million at FL because when Napier came he supposedly spent lots of time putting together a program that made sense.

I also am in agreement with Paula. A lot of stuff going around that is not substantiated. Tommy White supposedly left NCState to go to FSU now headed to LSU for a multi million $ bat deal?

There are many ways for money to be funneled to college athletes. Some of the ways you hear about and some you don’t. I understand that a lot of people don’t like it and want to minimize it in their mind to make it more acceptable. Reality is that most D1 college baseball players aren’t getting anything. Some are getting a little bit of money. And a few are starting to get a lot of money. I agree that this wasn’t supposed to be the purpose for creating the transfer portal. But it is what it has become. A vehicle for full blown free agency.

While the NIL $ runs the gamut from product/merch to a couple thousand $$$ to more than a couple hundred thousand $$$ a lot of the NIL stuff is goods and services.

My daughter is what I would consider an average D1 women's hockey player. She is a "Barstool athlete" and has a deal with Liquid IV. Both send merch and L-IV send her product for a couple of posts a month in season and less out of season. Great for her and what appears to be good enough for them.

On the other hand her JH class mate was the Gatorade Female HS Athlete of the year along with National basketball player of the year. She has won more awards in college and has NIL's with StockX, Gatorade, Cash App, Chegg, and Crocs. I believe all of those deals were negotiated thru her agent. It is BIG BUSINESS!!!

My source for T-Tanks is certainly not him but a close friend of mine whose friend was in the mix for T-Tanks services and thought that he was going to land him until he announced he was headed to LSU. $$$ is what it is but I thought that it was interesting that part of the deal was somewhere between a request and a demand to play 3rd base and hit in the #3 hole.

@used2lurk

What you have described about NIL is the sane  way that was intended for athletes to make money.

TT announced that he was leaving NCState for closer to home and 3rd base and NIL money without entering the portal.  Then the FSU coach was gone. Then he was going JUCO. Then he entered portal picked up by LSU. Probably the same deal as he had with FSU.

Really doesnt sit well with a lot of folks.

Last edited by TPM
@TPM posted:

What you have described about NIL is the sane  way that was intended for athletes to make money.

Standard stuff - unintended consequences are ultimately what happens. We have 3 parties to blame for NIL IMO

The NCAA for being arrogant and greedy

The schools for being arrogant and greedy

The Government for creating Title IX and the courts for getting involved where they really don't belong.

The good news is baseball will get out of this relatively unscathed. The football and basketball landscapes are being altered forever. Basketball the fastest and football following behind just due to size. Literally one or 2 men can change a basketball program overnight if they chose to.

LSU is  becoming the elite travel ball program.  Go find the best players and pay them to come play for you, or pay their expenses.  They are in the process of building/buying a Natty.  I heard some LSU faithful money guys talking at the SEC Championships and I couldn't believe that it would come to fruition but it is slowly happening.  No need to recruit umproven HS players when you can throw money/NIL deals at the proven college guys in the portal.  They are just the first but it will truly change college baseball.  Who can raise the most money to pay these guys to come to your school?  The question is can anyone get to the point of raising enough money to match MLB signing bonuses?  Why go play 150 game when you can get paid the same amount for a few years to play 60 games?

@PitchingFan posted:

LSU is  becoming the elite travel ball program.  Go find the best players and pay them to come play for you, or pay their expenses.  They are in the process of building/buying a Natty.  I heard some LSU faithful money guys talking at the SEC Championships and I couldn't believe that it would come to fruition but it is slowly happening.  No need to recruit umproven HS players when you can throw money/NIL deals at the proven college guys in the portal.  They are just the first but it will truly change college baseball.  Who can raise the most money to pay these guys to come to your school?  The question is can anyone get to the point of raising enough money to match MLB signing bonuses?  Why go play 150 game when you can get paid the same amount for a few years to play 60 games?

Exactly what I have been saying. Couldn’t agree more. While this isn’t going on everywhere it’s more widespread than many believe or are willing to accept.

@adbono posted:

Exactly what I have been saying. Couldn’t agree more. While this isn’t going on everywhere it’s more widespread than many believe or are willing to accept.

it is just business, happens every day in many places. This is just the first time the courts opened it up to college athletes. It will only get bigger and it will happen fairly quick. Whatever top schools that have chosen not to participate will be changing their methods real fast when they start losing the recruiting wars.

One of the reasons Jay Write left Villanova basketball was the new NIL - it has already changed college recruiting and he is an old school guy.

It is a new world.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.