Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We start next week with a tournament with a bunch of the top teams in the state that have some high profile prospects. Son is scheduled to start on the bump against last years state champs. But in legging out a triple in last weekend's scrimmage, he tweaked his hamstring. It appears to be a grade 1 strain. He was having a great pre-season at the plate and on the mound and he was really distraught.  After two days of icing, rest, and elevating his leg, he started with reciprocal inhibition exercises on Monday. Today he moves into light stretching. Coach has him sitting out of practice. He is doing arm care exercises and static hitting drills. When he is not on the bump, he bats lead off and plays CF. But I think the hope for next weekend is that if his hamstring is not bothering him, he will take the bump for a few innings, but no hitting or CF. Not an ideal to the start of his junior year.

First HS game is in the books for this season (loss unfortunately).  Like Senna we have 6 games over the next 8 days (also in GA).  Looking like son will play primarily 3B this year with a little pitching here and there.  Coach also has him taking reps at SS and 2B at practice and told him to be ready to fill in at either of those spots if the starters there go in to pitch.  All good news for the kid (primary catcher) who is trying to diversify his skill set and resume based on some advice from here on another thread (catcher position limiting recruiting?).

Good luck everyone as you get your seasons going!

2024's Missouri HS season begins on March 18th, with tryouts starting on 2/28. 2024 and his class will be pushing the upperclassmen really hard, with several juniors having already dropped from the program as they aren't willing to compete, potentially not start, and be relegated to the JV squad or become varsity backups.

School isn't known for baseball, but made a run to the "elite 8" last year, losing to the eventual (and defending) champs on a little league trick play (pic below after it happened). Best finish in over 20 years, and 4 of the starters were freshman.

Heading to Jackie Robinson Training Center (old Dodger Town) in Vero Beach next month to begin the season, and learned that 3 of the 5 teams who will be there are from St. Louis, including one from our conference we haven't defeated in over 20 years! LOL!!

Good luck to your boys!

60b18d9d79761.image

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 60b18d9d79761.image
Last edited by CubsFanInSTL

EDIT: 2024 reminded me of what really happened -- trying to block the memory!

Quick recap: We had just taken a 1-0 lead in the 6th. Bottom of 7, we get 2 quick outs. Kid smacked a double, so one on, 2 out. Next batter is walked. Ground ball to 3rd, and the ball is sailed over the 1st baseman, runner on 2nd scored, now runner on third. Next guy walked. Now 1st and 3rd, 2 out. Here we go...runner on first jogged midway to 2nd and parked there, pitcher stepped off and walked towards him,  runner on third scored to end the game. Yup. That happened. The other coach mentioned in the news that he saw our guys with "their heads down" and figured why not try it...

Last edited by CubsFanInSTL

cuts today for 2022's team. "Friendly" two game tourney this weekend, another one next weekend with real games starting first week in March.

Could start all seniors, but won't. P5 players at 1st. and 3rd. Mid Major D1s at catcher and second.  short and of are all d3  HA guys.  Lot of parity in the league. Will be a four team shoot out for 3 state berths.

1st day of the season/tournament  canceled because of freezing weather and rain. Tournament was reorganized to play DH's on back to back days. The schedule update did us no favors. We now have to play the state champs, one of the state semifinalists, and a school that is traditionally good and has probably the top prospect in the state. Throw in the cold weather this weekend (40-45 degrees). A grind to start the season.

Supposed to be sitting at the 1st game of the 2022's final HS season this morning (after breakfast at George's in Waco).

Instead I'm working from home,  watching the dogs chase squirrels around the icy back yard, and keeping and eye on the news from Europe on TV.

BTW, it was 85 on Monday.

Any chance you guys are playing in the Round Rock tournament this weekend? That is where we were supposed to be today. The bus was leaving at 7am for an 11:30am DH. But since today was canceled, we are now heading out later today for two games tomorrow.

Last edited by ARCEKU21
@ARCEKU21 posted:

Any chance you guys are playing in the Round Rock tournament this weekend? That is where we were supposed to be today. The bus was leaving at 7am for an 11:30am DH. But since today was canceled, we are now heading out later today for two games tomorrow.

No we were going to Waco.  That got cancelled on Monday, so we organized a tournament in Odessa, but on Tuesday evening that idea got "nixed".  Hopeful to get in a DH on Fri and Sat close to home (DFW area).

Travel safe

Last edited by russinfortworth
@ARCEKU21 posted:

I always thought the Round Rock tourney was a great way to start the season. The level of competition is really good and in one weekend you can get a decent idea of what you have to work with. The first time there was in 2015 when my middle son was a senior. His HS baseball program had been a dumpster fire for years and a good coach (that knew how to build a program) had been brought in. But parents got wind that he was going to cut upperclassmen that couldn’t help the team in favor of some younger players that could (including my youngest son). These parents (which included 3 RISD employees) banded together, created false allegations, and got the good coach run off over Christmas break to protect their kids spots on the roster. They then brought in a puppet, with zero experience as a HC, that they could control. Puppet’s first game was the opener of 2015 Round Rock tournament. His team were visitors in that game and went into the 7th inning trailing 7-3. Team goes 3 up and 3 down - and the players started packing up their gear. Puppet had not left the 3rd base coaching box and began hollering at his players to get their gloves and take the field. The base umpire was standing nearby with drop jaw (as I was). Ump walks over to Puppet and says, “coach, the game is over.” Let that sink in for a moment. The HC for a 6A HS baseball program in Texas didn’t know when the game was over. An umpire had to tell him. The three most talented underclass players in the program (including my son) all transferred at the end of the year. Puppet lasted 2 more years before the snakes that brought him in got rid of him and he hasn’t coached a baseball game at any age level since then. To steal a tag line from @Consultant, true story!

I’m so glad my kids didn’t grow up at one of the places I live now. The Maine high school ski team championships were last weekend. It’s going to snow 8-12 tomorrow. Basketball and hockey don’t play their championship games until March 5. The high school baseball season opens mid April. The regular season is fourteen games in six weeks. MaxPreps doesn’t even have the schedules posted yet.

The Portland Sea Dogs opening day is April 8. There isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell of the game selling out unless it’s abnormally warm that day with heavy walk up ticket sales.

I’m going skiing Monday.

Lefty got his first loss (and first for team, now 4-1).  Very good team (8 in lineup headed to draft or P5s/top 25 programs).  Went 6.2 innings, no runs.  Lefty is getting up there in pitch count and gives up a piddly hit to a kid headed to Arizona to put two on with two outs in a scoreless game.  Instead of letting him finish coach pulls him.  Two pitchers later....5 runs have scored.  Team goes into the final at bats reeling and defeated, I don't think any of the kids actually swung at a baseball.

Weather has been cold for SoCal, but that's mid 60's so I won't complain

2 games in and it's going the way i expected...mysson isn't getting anything to hit. 8PA, 3bb, 1hbp, lol.  he's the only real returning threat in the lineup and the other teams know it.  he's frustrated but needs to figure out how to get through it.  2-0 against weaker preseason teams.  couple weeks until league starts and we'll really know what this team is made of. 

The weather has been fantastic in southwest Mo this week and my boys are on their second day of practice. Both are healthy and ready to go. Scrimmages Friday and Saturday with the first pre-season game next week. First year of them driving to practice, and it's about 25 miles to the school. The wife is having a little separation anxiety but we are all ready for some baseball!! As a bonus the travel uniforms came in and we are ready to see some new country this summer. Folks as screwed up as this country looks at times, we are so incredibly blessed to live in the USA!! Best of luck to all the players this season. Let's go boys!!   

@RJM posted:

Orange Lutheran (wink, wink) doesn’t recruit. Right?

It's so bad the public schools are asking to change the rules, opening to recruiting for all schools.  I can almost forgive the recruiting during middle school, but the transfers of kids going in to their senior season leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.  I feel like the sit-out period should be longer.  On the other hand they are really, really good.  And really fun to watch.

First game started off great. Son was on the bump. Had a handful of various entities there to see him pitch. Threw five shut out innings with 7 K's. Also hit a double in his first at bat and drove in a run later in the game. Was riding high going into game 2. Then the baseball gods humbled him. 0-4 with 2 K's in the second game and left about 5 runners on base. But the team did go 2-0 on the day.

@LousyLefty posted:

It's so bad the public schools are asking to change the rules, opening to recruiting for all schools.  I can almost forgive the recruiting during middle school, but the transfers of kids going in to their senior season leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.  I feel like the sit-out period should be longer.  On the other hand they are really, really good.  And really fun to watch.

After freshman year of high school my son was offered an academic scholarship to a private Catholic ** if he played at least baseball and soccer. He was also a basketball player. This was a perennial participant in the state baseball playoffs. He was a top student. But the connection humored me.

Until the school approached with the scholarship he was badgered by athletes and friends he knew who were already there. The kids did the recruiting. The academic ride was the attempted close. After all, recruiting is illegal.

He stayed at his high school. The private Catholic went to states the next three years and won once while his high school only went once. But his soccer team went to states three times.

** Think Mater Dei, Servite relative to Southern CA. I lived in SoCal for 22 years.

Last edited by RJM

I am starting to think that my son may end up playing more games the covid year than we will this year. Another canceled game yesterday because of weather. While some teams in the area are getting into double digits of games, we are stuck on 5 games. And more weather expected this weekend.

Another weird scenario with the season. MaxPreps released their new top 25 teams yesterday. My sons team was ranked, which has me puzzled. The top teams in the state in other polls (PG, PBR, etc) are not even in their rankings. In the PG & PBR state rankings, they cracked the top 10. One state poll doesn't even have my son's team in the top 25. So really strange to see them in the top 25 national rankings for MaxPreps. Maybe they know something we don't.

Going into last Friday, MaxPreps had our team ranked #1 in all divisions in the state of Georgia.  MaxPreps just uses a math formula, almost zero scouting.  # of wins and losses and difficulty of schedule.  At this point in the season, it's almost random chance.

Too bad the kids don't understand that.  They got the big head and were beat by two teams that never should have been in the game.

Prep baseball has us 2nd in 5a.  I can almost believe that but some heavy hitters are just getting warmed up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.