Skip to main content

2024's "sign up" period is over. After a thorough review of the sign-up sheets and a few late-night consultations with a Magic 8 Ball, the head coach announced that everyone who signed-up made Varsity or JV. Varsity was pretty cut and dry: all seniors (including one who quit during sign-ups last year) and juniors made varsity, along with several very solid sophomores. There are sophomores who were assigned to the JV team that are significantly better players than many of the seniors (there are only two juniors). No one is surprised -- just another "eye-roll" moment in the annals of the school's fine baseball tradition.

Heading to Vero Beach next week for a round of games, the team will consist of 12 sophomores, 1 junior, and 2 freshman.

Last season the team won its first district championship in 18 years, and had its best finish since 1973. Only 2 starters graduated. High expectations this year. Well, sort of...

Last edited by CubsFanInSTL
@2022NYC posted:

The Ortho will not clear hitting and running for my kid until April or May. He has been hitting for a month now and sprinted for the past few weeks, but I get his conservative approach. The kid is likely to miss his final HS season and he is wearing it well but I can see the hurt.

Sorry to hear this NYC. Hopefully, he'll get cleared soon enough and enjoy at least part of his senior season.

Sooooo, a friend's son was facing an uncommitted 2024 RHP that throws 90. RHP strikes him out and one of those player ranking orgs posted a video of it to social where you can hear him say "sit the eff down you little b****". Well, next AB by buddy's kid hits a BOMB. I told him he should reply to the original post with that video and "why don't you show his next AB?" From a social media etiquette standpoint, would that be frowned upon?

2024's "sign up" period is over. After a thorough review of the sign-up sheets and a few late-night consultations with a Magic 8 Ball, the head coach announced that everyone who signed-up made Varsity or JV. Varsity was pretty cut and dry: all seniors (including one who quit during sign-ups last year) and juniors made varsity, along with several very solid sophomores. There are sophomores who were assigned to the JV team that are significantly better players than many of the seniors (there are only two juniors). No one is surprised -- just another "eye-roll" moment in the annals of the school's fine baseball tradition.

Heading to Vero Beach next week for a round of games, the team will consist of 12 sophomores, 1 junior, and 2 freshman.

Last season the team won its first district championship in 18 years, and had its best finish since 1973. Only 2 starters graduated. High expectations this year. Well, sort of...

At my son’s high school the coach gave uniforms to seniors who never gave up and quit. These were competent, but part time JV players as juniors. The uniform came with the understanding they were mostly cheerleaders and foul ball chasers. When my son was a soph one of these seniors was so popular and well respected he was considered a leader. These were players talented enough to start on teams in the bottom half of the standings. In the summer they played Legion ball.

Sooooo, a friend's son was facing an uncommitted 2024 RHP that throws 90. RHP strikes him out and one of those player ranking orgs posted a video of it to social where you can hear him say "sit the eff down you little b****". Well, next AB by buddy's kid hits a BOMB. I told him he should reply to the original post with that video and "why don't you show his next AB?" From a social media etiquette standpoint, would that be frowned upon?

If a kid wants to talk sh$t he deserves what he gets. I would normally say no but I think the smack talking is out of control and some need their comeuppance. So post away.

I never had an opposing player say sit the "f" down you little "B", but then again I only struck out 3 times my varsity year and I weighed 265. I understand that things have changed dramatically since the early 80's, but I really wish people could clean up their language, especially children playing a game. I understand that some folks may disagree, but I think we can do better. A little negative reinforcement wouldn't hurt. Our principal had a three foot long paddle that would motivate the biggest and toughest. He had a solid two hand swing, and a handle that would accommodate it. 

Having fun playing the game is part and parcel to the experience. It’s one of the main reasons to play at all. The game isn’t always fun but for the most part players play for love of the game. There is a line between “having fun playing the game” and “behavior that disrespects the game and disrespects your opponent” - and players have been allowed to live on the wrong side of that line. The same way that much of society is on the wrong side of the line too, but I digress. Baseball has historically been a game that self-polices inappropriate behavior. In recent years snowflakes have voiced their objections alleging unsafe practices - which has promoted a surge in bat flips, stare downs, flip offs, sh&t talking, and other forms of bad behavior that some people want to normalize. I’m not one of them. I will never condone throwing at a batter’s head. But there is a time for a knockdown pitch and if a hitter ever flipped a bat when I played the next guy was getting plunked in the ribs. So guess what? Players didn’t pull those stunts. The unwritten rules of baseball (that people that never played the game object to) exist for a reason. And that reason is to preserve the integrity of the game thru insuring some behavioral standards. Call me get off my lawn guy if you want. The game is better when it’s played the right way.

@adbono posted:

Having fun playing the game is part and parcel to the experience. It’s one of the main reasons to play at all. The game isn’t always fun but for the most part players play for love of the game. There is a line between “having fun playing the game” and “behavior that disrespects the game and disrespects your opponent” - and players have been allowed to live on the wrong side of that line. The same way that much of society is on the wrong side of the line too, but I digress. Baseball has historically been a game that self-polices inappropriate behavior. In recent years snowflakes have voiced their objections alleging unsafe practices - which has promoted a surge in bat flips, stare downs, flip offs, sh&t talking, and other forms of bad behavior that some people want to normalize. I’m not one of them. I will never condone throwing at a batter’s head. But there is a time for a knockdown pitch and if a hitter ever flipped a bat when I played the next guy was getting plunked in the ribs. So guess what? Players didn’t pull those stunts. The unwritten rules of baseball (that people that never played the game object to) exist for a reason. And that reason is to preserve the integrity of the game thru insuring some behavioral standards. Call me get off my lawn guy if you want. The game is better when it’s played the right way.

Played a middling team yesterday (game 2 of 3 due to weather today).

Their bench was awfully loud and obnoxious even though they were down 8-1 in the 3rd.

In the 4th their catcher gets on 2nd and wasn't even shy about it.  He's yelling "inside" or  "outside"  on every pitch giving location......if you want to be subtle about it ok, but I still digress.

I'm tracking pitch count by the dugout and before I can even say anything to the son (he's at SS) he gives me the "zip it" sign to his mouth.

Catcher comes up 2 innings later, our catcher sets up so far outside on 1st pitch it is crazy.......................batter dives for outside pitch and ball goes behind him.  I get a little grin, nod my head, and take a sip of my diet coke and feel a little of that baseball player / dad moment that gets you all warm inside.

Next inning when son came up to bat there looked to be a one-sided 10 second conversation w/ the catcher.

Got home later and asked what he said, and he said "I just told him don't do that, or he's going to get one of his teammates hurt one day".

It's the little things sometimes.

Last edited by russinfortworth

Are we at a time where society has degenerated to the point where the dystopic actions that we are discussing have become commonplace and now are the norm rather than the exception? I mean, there are states legalizing illicit narcotics (heroin, cocaine) and they are being applauded by large segments of our society. Is baseball and other sports just becoming a micro of the macro society? It's troubling and concerning to me, but it seems as though others are apathetic.   

Pitcher goes viral for massive 'Horns Down' gesture

By the way this ^^^^ Completely Acceptable!!!   but you got to buckle one of the best power hitters in the country for a called 3rd strike to beat the #1 team in the nation.   

Very happy for Steve Trout and Texas State. They are a very good mid-major program that flies under the national radar for some reason. I absolutely love the coaching staff there. They recruited my son and he committed to them before his back injury ended his career. Sadly he never even reported to campus. But both me and my son root for the Bobcats and enjoy their success. Besides taking down the ‘horns this week they also took 2 of 3 from Arizona (on the road) last weekend - and Arizona is really good. Texas State is a team to keep an eye on.

@Triple J posted:

Are we at a time where society has degenerated to the point where the dystopic actions that we are discussing have become commonplace and now are the norm rather than the exception? I mean, there are states legalizing illicit narcotics (heroin, cocaine) and they are being applauded by large segments of our society. Is baseball and other sports just becoming a micro of the macro society? It's troubling and concerning to me, but it seems as though others are apathetic.   

Facts matter.  

Cocaine is not a narcotic. No state has legalized heroin or cocaine for recreational use. Cocaine has been legal in the US for medical use for some time.

Decriminalization and defelonization are not the same as legalization. And in the instance of Oregon, it wasn’t the “state” that decriminalized, but the voters who passed the ballot initiative. In Colorado, it was the state senate and house representatives that passed it, representing the will of their electorate.

There are certainly some areas of society can one can argue as being dystopic, but I for one don’t feel that the dismantling of the  wasteful and racist 50 year old “war on drugs” is one of them. And a large majority of Americans (70% by most counts) feel that the federal drug policies are not working and need reform. But that’s completely off topic here.

On topic: I love appropriate emotion in games. But I think it’s hard for all of us to define “inappropriate”, other than to channel Justice Potter Stewart’s “I know it when I see it”.

The fact is voters are the "State". Cocaine or heroin are "narcotics" or "drugs" depending on which state you reside in. Still an illicit narcotic here anyway. Slight modifications in terminology are really splitting hairs. Legalization is a relevant term as I applied it. We could debate that the amounts possessed are specifically prescribed within the law but that it not relevant. Bottom line is no amount of heroin or cocaine is good for anyone. I'm not going to debate the criminal statues and federal criminal codes that apply. We could get off into the world of derivatives but that is not relevant either.   

This is just like the video one of the ranking orgs posted the other day of a hard throwing pitcher, that while in his wind up, he waves bye bye to the batter and then throws a fast ball buy him. Just shook my head when I saw it.

I'm not interested in debating it RJM. I've seen what it does to people and society. Not debatable for me. I understand the sociological debate, but most have an agenda or profit to be realized. I did however read the article. Personal experience through occupation has proven these so called "experts" to be radically and overwhelmingly wrong, without exception.

Now back to baseball.

@Triple J posted:

I'm not interested in debating it RJM. I've seen what it does to people and society. Not debatable for me. I understand the sociological debate, but most have an agenda or profit to be realized. I did however read the article. Personal experience through occupation has proven these so called "experts" to be radically and overwhelmingly wrong, without exception.

Now back to baseball.

You’re denying twenty years of statistical proof.

1C47F032-9B54-440E-AADA-8441D5DED588@adbono posted:

Very happy for Steve Trout and Texas State. They are a very good mid-major program that flies under the national radar for some reason. I absolutely love the coaching staff there. They recruited my son and he committed to them before his back injury ended his career. Sadly he never even reported to campus. But both me and my son root for the Bobcats and enjoy their success. Besides taking down the ‘horns this week they also took 2 of 3 from Arizona (on the road) last weekend - and Arizona is really good. Texas State is a team to keep an eye on.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1C47F032-9B54-440E-AADA-8441D5DED588

So my 2022 had his first scrimmage today. In NYC you have to use wood bats. My 2022 is committed to being a PO in college but still hits and plays 1B in HS. A few weeks ago he was looking for a wood bat. I knew we had multiple cheap wood bats in the basement. Long story short, he wanted a nice new wood bat. I laughed and told him to use his teammates Baum bat.  He used his own money to go buy a nice new shiny Victus bat.

First swing of First At Bat of First scrimmage.....hits it off the end and he breaks the bat (It also had a lizard skin grip that I put on for him). I laughed until I almost cried. Then I did feel a bit bad.

Next AB using his teammates Baum Bat, hits it off the top of the fence for a double. I'm done....

Played a middling team yesterday (game 2 of 3 due to weather today).

Their bench was awfully loud and obnoxious even though they were down 8-1 in the 3rd.

In the 4th their catcher gets on 2nd and wasn't even shy about it.  He's yelling "inside" or  "outside"  on every pitch giving location......if you want to be subtle about it ok, but I still digress.

I'm tracking pitch count by the dugout and before I can even say anything to the son (he's at SS) he gives me the "zip it" sign to his mouth.

Catcher comes up 2 innings later, our catcher sets up so far outside on 1st pitch it is crazy.......................batter dives for outside pitch and ball goes behind him.  I get a little grin, nod my head, and take a sip of my diet coke and feel a little of that baseball player / dad moment that gets you all warm inside.

Next inning when son came up to bat there looked to be a one-sided 10 second conversation w/ the catcher.

Got home later and asked what he said, and he said "I just told him don't do that, or he's going to get one of his teammates hurt one day".

It's the little things sometimes.

Earlier this week we had a Dad for the opposing team set up right behind the backstop calling where the catcher setup every time.  We won 11-1 in six, so it really did not matter.  But it reminded me why I never sit behind home or with other parents.  This field was designed in a way we could only sit in the bleachers.

2024 played his first-ever varsity game in our season opener vs. a solid team from Virginia. Down 7-1 after 4, he's brought in to "eat some innings." Retired the first 9, and we knotted the game up in the top of the 7th at 7-7. Took a 10-7 lead in the top of the 8th, and four batters later helped the team win its season opener! 4 K's, no walks, and 1 for 3 at the plate. Probably still has the smile on his face as he's sleeping!

Last edited by CubsFanInSTL

Earlier this week we had a Dad for the opposing team set up right behind the backstop calling where the catcher setup every time.  We won 11-1 in six, so it really did not matter.  But it reminded me why I never sit behind home or with other parents.  This field was designed in a way we could only sit in the bleachers.

This problem is solved by extending a tarp from pole to pole.

HS season starts in 10 days.

Kid is a senior catcher and he suffered a grade 1 UCL tear exactly 8 weeks ago. He's just been cleared to start a RTT program but he says his arm doesn't feel right when just trying to throw the ball 45 feet. The RTT program runs 12 weeks but some said he might be able to throw normal in six.

Anyway, kid can't throw and the HS coach knows it. Kid has offered to DH until he can throw. (He can physically catch now but he just can't throw.)

Everyday for the last 2 weeks - including text messages at night and on the weekends, the coach asks the kid "Can you play catcher now?"

And, every time he's asked, the kid says the same thing: I haven't thrown since January. I can't throw now. I don't know when I will be able to throw in a game yet. But, as soon as I feel like I can throw in a game, I will let you know.

Yet the coach keeps asking and pressuring him, constantly. (There's also like 4 other kids who can catch.)

Yesterday at practice, coach tells my son to go play 1B. Kid says "But, I can't throw." And coach says "I don't care. Play first. If you want to hit then you have to play a position. We're not just going to use you as a DH." So, the kid plays 1B in practice and tries to avoid using his throwing arm.

Now, on top of this, one of the best players on the team is a L/L who is primarily a 1B and a real good one. He's out in RF now and pissed that he's been moved off 1B because of all this. (We know this because he's great friends with my son.)

I'm not looking for an answer here with this post. Just venting. And, for sure, I'm done with this HS baseball drama crap. I will not miss this at all when it's over.

If it were my son he would be off the team.

He needs to be able to play this summer before he heads off to school in the fall and be ready for fall practice. If he isn't supposed to throw that's exactly what he is supposed to be doing, not throw. But he is still a kid and he is being bullied into a situation that's not good for him.

YOU need to have a conversation with the coach.

@TPM posted:

If it were my son he would be off the team.

He needs to be able to play this summer before he heads off to school in the fall and be ready for fall practice. If he isn't supposed to throw that's exactly what he is supposed to be doing, not throw. But he is still a kid and he is being bullied into a situation that's not good for him.

YOU need to have a conversation with the coach.

I offered. Told my son: You're 17. Maybe he needs to hear it from an adult and a parent "Kid can't throw. Don't play him until he can throw. He will let you know as soon as he can throw. No need to ask him about it everyday." But my son doesn't want me talking to the coach. He feels it's important that he handles it. So, I'm respecting his wishes.

@Francis7 posted:

I offered. Told my son: You're 17. Maybe he needs to hear it from an adult and a parent "Kid can't throw. Don't play him until he can throw. He will let you know as soon as he can throw. No need to ask him about it everyday." But my son doesn't want me talking to the coach. He feels it's important that he handles it. So, I'm respecting his wishes.

Gotta admire the kid for that stance, and yet, unless all he did was toss lollypops or throw underhand while practicing at first, he allowed himself to get bullied into doing something unsafe, so I'm with @TPM.

Thx @JCG

The funny thing is that the coach and I have spoken a few times in the past  - just when I would run into him somewhere. It was limited to "Hi, how are you? Good luck this season" and stuff like that. But he knows who I am when he sees me. So, it wouldn't be totally out of nowhere if I talked to him. I think the last time I talked to him was October 2020 when my son verbally committed. We talked about it. Maybe I will get lucky and he will say something to me? Then I can say my thoughts and it's not because I went to him.

Last edited by Francis7

Sorry but he is 17 and legally he is still a minor. This is the ugly side HS ball. So I would tell him that you AND him will have a sit down because he isn't handling it well.

It sure is a lot easier than having TJS.

Edit. For insurance purposes it's best to listen to the doctor not the coach. JMO

Last edited by TPM
@TPM posted:

Sorry but he is 17 and legally he is still a minor. This is the ugly side HS ball. So I would tell him that you AND him will have a sit down because he isn't handling it well.

It sure is a lot easier than having TJS.

Edit. For insurance purposes it's best to listen to the doctor not the coach. JMO

Thanks. The other part of it is that his college coaches are aware of his injury and RTT program. And they are telling him "Do it right. Take your time. We want you 100% when you get here." (And that makes sense!) But, for the kid, he's got a current coach pressing him and a future coach telling him the opposite. 

I'm going to see what happens at practice today. I might just tell my son to quit, if he wants to...

I know the coach will never let him quit because that will become a grand jury investigation at the school once the word got out that he was quitting. So, maybe he has to play that card to get the coach to get off his back?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.