Skip to main content

This coach's impatience is delaying your son's return date and putting him at risk of a more serious injury.  I think an email is in order.  Also, if he doesn't feel right throwing 45, something is wrong, he shouldn't be doing the RTT program and he should go back to the doctor.  Pain isn't the only indicator for when something isn't right. Firsthand experience here.

Last edited by LousyLefty

Francis, you are an adult and your son is a child. Even 17 year old athletes who look like men think and act like children.  If your account is accurate the HS coach is also acting like a child. He is putting your son in harm’s way and putting his future at risk. As a father it’s your responsibility to take care of your child and make sure he isn’t in harms way. I don’t care what your son says or what kind of scene it creates, you need to do your job as a parent and protect your son.

When son was in his senior year husband and I not happy with how he was being a bit overused. The HS coach was getting ready to retire and he wanted to get to regionals and putting pressure on son. Since son was also being used as DH, first base we felt that long outings at the coaches expense was not necessary.

He had a 90% scholarship and we decided that was more important. The future pcoach made a phone call.

That was the end of staying in the game too long.

Protect your player for as long as you can.

Agree with all the above. Should talk with the coach ASAP. If it were me and he has pain from 45', I'd probably lead with "my son can't play in the field this season". It stops the coach from asking and takes pressure off your son. If he does make it back and can throw before the end of the season, great, and my guess is the coach would let him throw.

@Francis7 posted:

Thx @adbono

He has practice today after school. If things haven't improved, I'm going to come up with a way to connect with him.

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do. Get a note from the physician that’s attending to your son’s injury. Make sure it specifically describes what activities are allowed and what is not. Email a copy to the HC, AD, and school principal. State in your email that you expect the physician’s guidelines to be adhered to without question and without undue pressure being put on your son. If that doesn’t take care of it then I would turn up the heat.

@adbono posted:

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do. Get a note from the physician that’s attending to your son’s injury. Make sure it specifically describes what activities are allowed and what is not. Email a copy to the HC, AD, and school principal. State in your email that you expect the physician’s guidelines to be adhered to without question and without undue pressure being put on your son. If that doesn’t take care of it then I would turn up the heat.

That's already done. The note from the orthopedist says "once he comfortably completes the RTT program, he can return to catching in games." The coach and the trainer have it. The principal is an old lady and a waste of time. The AD is arrogant from what I have been told.

Maybe the coach thinks 1B is a loophole here?

@Francis7 posted:

That's already done. The note from the orthopedist says "once he comfortably completes the RTT program, he can return to catching in games." The coach and the trainer have it. The principal is an old lady and a waste of time. The AD is arrogant from what I have been told.

Here is the problem. It should state ALL practice activities,  it just says catching.

Make a call to ortho office and explain  for clarification.

Come on Francis you can do this!

@Francis7 posted:

Then it’s time to turn up the heat. I’m with TPM on this one. A lot of people in Texas would say it’s time to “Cowboy Up.” Considering my already mentioned lack of diplomacy, that’s the kindest way I can say it.

When my son had shoulder separation surgery he wasn’t allowed to throw until he had a note from the ortho stating it was ok. He needed written clearance just to take BP. You might want to check into the school and state athletic rules. You might have the rules on your side before even addressing the coach.

Last edited by RJM

So, today he was back at 1B - until the coach asked him to catch some bullpens. He had to borrow a helmet and mitt because he didn't bother bringing them today. He ended up catching 8 different pitchers. WTF? There's 4 other catchers at the varsity practice. It's also really cold here today. Hmmm...punishment? I asked my kid how he felt about it and he said he's OK...but if he does this again, he's telling the coach no. And he still doesn't want me getting involved.

Kid's team had their first scrimmage. Wonderful NY spring weather; cold, windy and wet. I arrived quite late and was surprised (and really envious) at the number of folks in attendance. The other team started their stud pitcher and there were several scouts in attendance. I was told he was blowing past the batters. Son played the protecting bullpen pitcher in the foul ball area position...I admit he looked pretty good, and I am sure he did that to avoid working the book. He was given an AB and faced a pitcher he is familiar with as they train at the same facility. It looked and sounded like he turned on it very well, but as it flew to the outfield the ball started looking like a pole vaulter and became the ol' can of corn catch for position 8. Pitching was great on both sides and game was won due to a timely hit and botched fielding (can't fault the other team given the crap weather)+ good baserunning.  This is going to be an interesting year as it is the first time the parochial schools will have a state tourney. Lots of teams have stud pitchers but depth will determine who will be the last team standing.

Last edited by 2022NYC

Bad news - son's concussion aftereffects are still taking their toll. Son has been struggling to get back to where he normally is. A bit of blurriness, a bit of getting back in sync, and a bit of bad luck (winds have robbed him of two HRs in the past 2 weeks). Batting 6 hole instead of 4, but.......

The good news is that the team is really coming together at the right time. Swept a 3 game series last week in prep for region play, then took the first two games of their first region series this week. Going for the sweep tomorrow. They're at that stage where when the 1 and 2 hitters are having an off night, the 7 and 8 hitters go 3 for 4.

Our 3 starters are all at .870 or lower WHIP, FIP of 1.2 or lower, and two have a sub-1.0 ERA. Closer has a .5 WHIP. So with luck (meaning no bad luck) and the bats stay alive, they are in a great position. LFGMC!

That stinks he's still feeling the effects of the concussion. Hopefully those winds are blowing the other way for a few games!

I bet you guys get some great HS baseball up that way. I'm always amazed at the strength of the teams we see from GA every summer.

Thanks for the kind words. He's going to have to aim oppo tonight, west winds 10-20 and the 3rd base line runs nearly straight north/south.....

There are some bonkers HS teams, definitely. The one just down the road does a great job of recruiting. Currently has 9 D1 commits, 8 of them are P5. Lost to them 2-1 last year after coach pulled our starter when he reached his pitch count limit.

Another venting post. Nothing new. This has been the story all 4 years on varsity and it's been this way long before we came along.

HS regular and postseason is April through June. We usually play 2 games per week. Maybe there's one week where they have one game scheduled for some reason? But, there's always one week for sure where there's 3 games on the schedule - the week of "spring break."

Now, everyone knows, if you play HS baseball then you better not make plans to go away for spring break. And, I'm behind that one million percent. That's not the beef.

Our games are usually 3:45 or 4 PM starts. That's hard for the working parents. Some work out deals with their employers and get there. Others run out of work at 5 and maybe get there for the last 2 innings. But it is what it is and people do the best they can for supporting their kids.

But, spring break, where they always have 3 games and sometimes it's more because of rescheduled rain outs, the games start at 10 AM. Every time.

The only way parents can attend is to take the day (or the week) off from work. It's so inconvenient. Almost no one goes to these games as spectators unless it's a parent who is self employed or not working.

This year spring break is the end of April. And, while it's a month away, I feel a stomach flu coming on at least one day that week. Yes, it's juvenile but it's the only way to see the game without burning a vacation day.

Why 10 AM? Because the coaches are all teachers and that's their week off too - and they want the afternoons back to go golfing?

@Francis7

The coaches who are teachers deserve a spring break just like the players do. I think 10am sounds great. Kids know that they can't party at night because they have to be up early.

I saw a news report of a young man who saw his mother catch on fire after a bomb dropped. He was hurt as well. He was devastated. It was the last time he saw his mom. I cried my eyes out.

You are right your complaining  is juvenile and it's not life or death. Grow up.

Last edited by TPM

My son's freshman year they had a local tournament during spring break. Games were at 11 and 3. The other 3 years they played at the Boras classic about 2 hours away. That was incredible. Most of the parents were there. We got to see our kids go up against many future college and pro players with lots of scouts around. Just the other day I was flipping channels and saw a kid who robbed my kid of a base hit hit a grand slam in Spring Training.  I guess I was lucky in my job freedom.  My kid played 4 years of varsity baseball and basketball and I missed one baseball game and I think two basketball games.

@TPM posted:

@Francis7

The coaches who are teachers deserve a spring break just like the players do. I think 10am sounds great. Kids know that they can't party at night because they have to be up early.

I saw a news report of a young man who saw his mother catch on fire after a bomb dropped. He was hurt as well. He was devastated. It was the last time he saw his mom. I cried my eyes out.

You are right your complaining  is juvenile and it's not life or death. Grow up.

At a restaurant once, I mentioned to the staff that they got my order wrong. Sadly, none of them ever saw the Hidenburg Disaster in put me in my place like this. I can't believe it took all this time for someone to help me grow up. Thanks TPM.

Francis, as a longtime HS coach, if this is happening to your son and he is in danger of further injury, TAKE HIM OFF OF THE TEAM.  I have dealt with similar situations and never have I gone against what doctors have said.  Your son is not "comfortable" throwing.  What the heck are you going to do when, in a game situation, he turns and throws to the plate on a cut?

We are in season now although, as most of you know I've switched over to softball.  This year had tremendous potential.  We had 6 pitchers in the program with three clearly varsity ready.  Two were battling for the #1 slot in the circle.  One of these two, who I think is better, decided to play TB in Missouri.  Missouri plays HS in the fall.  That player would have also been our SS.  Then, we talk to #3 and tell her that she now is varsity and will play/pitch a lot.  She is upset that she is not #1.  Her mom is even more upset and pulls her from the team.  This young lady is doing the same as the other.  This young lady would have battled for the DH/1B position besides being #2.  We have never thrown our #1 every game like a lot of programs do.  Literally, overnight, we went from a team that could have gone deep into the state playoffs to a team that will have to battle to win a regional.  We are now throwing two freshmen as #2.  So far, we have beaten a team that had 2 SEC recruits and another Mid-Major DI recruit and have lost to a team that wouldn't beat us another time if we played them 9 more times.  That is sometimes the nature of HS sports.  Still, I am having a blast and love every minute of this.

Last edited by CoachB25
@2022NYC posted:

Same boat here Franny. Is your boy driving? This makes it easier at least. I don't need a war thousands of miles away to see the devastation of senseless violence, yes our venting is trivial in the big picture but this isn't this the forum for it?

I thought it was?

Anyway, he drives but they have to be on the bus. I think it's a liability thing? Nothing to complain about though...most of the schools are fairly close by. It's not like having to ride the bus is as devastating as the irish potato famine.

3 years after HS ball is in the rear view mirror, I am still learning that there were a lot of things I didn't understand at the time, for which the coach had reasons that made sense.  This site is definitely a place to vent, or perhaps, put more kindly, to ask for explanations.

I can think of various reasons for 10 am games during spring break:

- the team will play some Saturday morning games in the season, and the coach wants to see how the players do in the mornings

- it will be colder in the morning, and the coach wants to give players practice playing in the cold (youngest son's golf coach did that this weekend)

- as someone already said, shows which players will take it seriously and not party the night before

3 years after HS ball is in the rear view mirror, I am still learning that there were a lot of things I didn't understand at the time, for which the coach had reasons that made sense.  This site is definitely a place to vent, or perhaps, put more kindly, to ask for explanations.

I can think of various reasons for 10 am games during spring break:

- the team will play some Saturday morning games in the season, and the coach wants to see how the players do in the mornings

- it will be colder in the morning, and the coach wants to give players practice playing in the cold (youngest son's golf coach did that this weekend)

- as someone already said, shows which players will take it seriously and not party the night before

None work for us. It's April in the NE. Colder in the morning than the afternoon and neither time is great baseball weather. We almost never play on Saturdays. And the kid on the team who drink don't care. They're going to party anyway.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.