Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hoping to see Henry Williams, Duke, come off the board early in round 3 today.  He's a local kid, son played a bunch with him.  He's got the right size, and his curve is great (even tho his dad didn't allow him to throw one until HS).  He's had a tough run of injuries at the college level.  I love drafts in all sports.  Great to see young men get their shot, and for fans of teams gives them hope for new talent.

Hoping to see Henry Williams, Duke, come off the board early in round 3 today.  He's a local kid, son played a bunch with him.  He's got the right size, and his curve is great (even tho his dad didn't allow him to throw one until HS).  He's had a tough run of injuries at the college level.  I love drafts in all sports.  Great to see young men get their shot, and for fans of teams gives them hope for new talent.

Went #91 in round 3 - going to go play with James Wood and the Padres.  Great to see him get the first step down......

@Dominik85 posted:

I'm very surprised rocker went third overall, even if he is signing an underslot deal here it probably means he escaped fr the mess last year and even improved his stock.

Very interesting move by the rangers who don't have a second or third round pick due to signing correa and seager

Supposedly Rocker had a deal in place that brings him about 500k over from last year. So  he did pretty well and will join his former Vandy teammate Jack Leiter with the Rangers.

@mattys Once you get passed the amount of players that were drafted on pedigree, I read the other day about the lack of HS, Juco players in the draft being blamed on lack of analytics. I would think that this also affects college players outside of Div 1 whose programs all have at their disposal daily reports on player and team stats.

I don't know if this is accurate but it makes sense.

@mattys posted:

pretty surprised at some of the guys who didn't go, especially the CA gatorade player of the year. my best guess is that, as a stanford commit, he was probably more dedicated to school than most players and the asking price was too high.  still surprised that nobody was willing to take a 20th round flyer on him.

I think in these days the communication with the agent/advisor is even better than it used to be and teams basically know almost surely if a player will sign (unless a medical gets in the way).

Also with 20 rounds teams might be less likely to waste a pick just to make a bond with a player like they used to make with 40 players.

Nobody needed 40 players so they used to make courtesy picks of a coachs son or Pick a HS guy just to start a relationship but I think now with less rounds they are not doing so much of it.

@Dominik85 posted:

I think in these days the communication with the agent/advisor is even better than it used to be and teams basically know almost surely if a player will sign (unless a medical gets in the way).

Also with 20 rounds teams might be less likely to waste a pick just to make a bond with a player like they used to make with 40 players.

Nobody needed 40 players so they used to make courtesy picks of a coachs son or Pick a HS guy just to start a relationship but I think now with less rounds they are not doing so much of it.

If someone goes unsigned (except for late round flyers), there was a communication issue. My son wasn't drafted as a juco freshmen in 2015 because he rejected the signing bonus offered - it was dynamic and in the late rounds, they were asking "will you sign for $X" as the team's turn was coming up. I wonder how many scouts had kids on the phones asking the same question at the same time? He was drafted in 2016 and didn't sign because he overslept, his cell phone was dead, he and his advisor/agent weren't on the same page about how important going to Arkansas was (that was in the 18th round). Finally being drafted in 2017, there were two teams bidding at over slot, all managed by the advisor/agent and the outcome was know before it happened in the 3rd round.

A couple interesting facts on this: My son was not recruited in HS but was identified pretty quick in juco, and I counseled him to take the small late round offer in 2015 and then the $165K Boston offered in 2016 - both times he chose the opposite and was way better off because of it. More importantly, he owns his whole path.

Last edited by JucoDad

Handful of local kids who were thought to be high draft pics but didn't get drafted at all. One kid even went so far to say he pulled his name from the draft after day 1. Like others have said, more than likely their asking price was too much for the teams and they decided to pass. There were a couple of kids who were drafted that came as a surprise. My guess those kids were on the bubble and were willing to sign on the cheap. With the draft being cut to 20 rounds, it is all about signability now.

Last edited by ARCEKU21

Has anyone done an analysis of how many paid (sort of) jobs were lost during the MiLB contraction two years ago? Back in the days of the 40 round draft, there were still lots of undrafted players who got FA contracts and had their shot.  I wonder if there will be more FA contracts signed or fewer this year, and if the former, if there will be a little more money to go around.  Perhaps parents and/or friends of undrafted players have some insight on this.

Edit - so D1baseball.com is already tracking these.

https://d1baseball.com/prospec...nt-signings-tracker/

Last edited by JCG

@JCG  Had a friend's son last year sign for $15 or $20k (whatever the max was for a non drafted free agent).  Around the 16th round they asked him if he would sign as a non-drafted free agent for the max compensation plus school if decides to go back in the future.  They had told him they were looking at drafting him 17-20th round, but weren't sure given they were looking at others too.  Maybe it was a smart play or maybe it wasn't,  But he is still playing for them in the Florida complex league this season and loves it.  Doing well overall.  But if it doesn't pan out he will return to school on their dime.  He had a full ride offer prior to the draft at a D-1.  Not sure how everything works, but that is one kid's story to tell.  And he was a JUCO transfer. 

@PABaseball posted:

I would imagine everybody taken with a slot pick has worked out some sort of deal prior to drafting or had a number that had already been established and the club knows they can hit it despite the slot being lower.

People tend to lose their jobs when slot picks don't end up signing

I am sure that you are aware that the first few rounds are usually pre deals all in place.  For instance Rocker's deal is about 2mil less than the slot, this gave the Rangers the ability to offer and make more deals in the next few rounds. All has to be approved by MLB to make sure they don't go over their $$ allotment.

@tpm yes.  Played rookie season last year on one of the organizations complex teams and this year is on the other one which seems like the team full of players on the way up rather than down.  Had some arm trouble early, but is fine now.

He technically should be out of the complex by now but perhaps his injury kept him back.

Now that the draft is over teams will be releasing players so hopefully he will move up.

@mattys posted:

there were 2 fa signees out of hs?  that's surprising to me

There are only twenty rounds now. These are kids who probably aren’t college material and not worth bonus money. They used to be drafted in rounds. 35-40. It’s also possible they connected to people in the the organization by relation or close friendship.

Mike Piazza was drafted in the 60th round by the Dodgers. It was a favor  between two lifelong buddies, Tom Lasorda and Piazza’s father. One of my son’s travel teammates was drafted in the 39th round (of forty) by his uncle.

@RJM posted:

There are only twenty rounds now. These are kids who probably aren’t college material and not worth bonus money. They used to be drafted in rounds. 35-40. It’s also possible they connected to people in the the organization by relation or close friendship.

Mike Piazza was drafted in the 60th round by the Dodgers. It was a favor  between two lifelong buddies, Tom Lasorda and Piazza’s father. One of my son’s travel teammates was drafted in the 39th round (of forty) by his uncle.

Piazza and Lasorda, my Norristown buddies.   To RJM's point, in 2019, there was a HS kid throwing mid 90's a town over.  He was committed to a great JUCO but wanted to get started on a pro career.  Yanks drafted him in the 36th round, and he went for no money.   I would assume if they offered him as a free agent this year (if this was his draft year), he would have gone.   Unfortunately, he got hurt, but I think he's back in action. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.