Skip to main content

I've been reading a lot of recruiting advice on this forum, and much of it seems to be specific to the level of the player.  The advice given to an elite-level D1 talent is not appropriate for a D3 level player, and vice versa.

As he is beginning his sophomore year of baseball and formulating his college recruiting plan, what is the best way for my son to get an honest assessment of his talent level?  His high school and travel team coaches are excellent at teaching the game of baseball, but they're not college recruiting experts.  His pitching coach tells him he's destined for greatness, but I can't tell if he's trying to sell more lessons.  And I'm his dad, so I'm obviously not able to provide an objective opinion.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

knownothingdad posted:

I've been reading a lot of recruiting advice on this forum, and much of it seems to be specific to the level of the player.  The advice given to an elite-level D1 talent is not appropriate for a D3 level player, and vice versa.

As he is beginning his sophomore year of baseball and formulating his college recruiting plan, what is the best way for my son to get an honest assessment of his talent level?  His high school and travel team coaches are excellent at teaching the game of baseball, but they're not college recruiting experts.  His pitching coach tells him he's destined for greatness, but I can't tell if he's trying to sell more lessons.  And I'm his dad, so I'm obviously not able to provide an objective opinion.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Take him to a PBR showcase. They're usually not much more than a hundred bucks and he'll get to see how he stacks up with those in and around his age group. Will also get his numbers/measurable's verified and likely posted on their web site (for college coach's to see). I believe 2 franchises recently opened in CA ( 1 north & 1 south). Google search PBR California and you should find all you need to get your questions answered by the franchisees.

baseballhs posted:

Post his measurables.  By sophomore year you can start to get a pretty good idea.

Baseballhs, here are his measurables.

6'4", 205 lbs, LHP/1B/OF, FB max 86mph, FB avg 82-84mph

Here are a few other data points.

High School: played varsity as a freshman for a Division I team in San Diego.  2.50 ERA in 14 innings, 7 appearances.  .220 BA in 46 plate appearances with one HR.

Arizona Sophomore Fall Classic: 4 2/3 innings, 9Ks, two hits, no runs

Last edited by knownothingdad

A few ideas...

You have plenty of JC's in your area (Mesa, Grossmont, SDCC.).  Contact one of the HC's and ask if he will spend 15 - 20 minutes at his convenience, his field to give your son an honest assessment, purely for reasons of figuring out which pond to fish in.  A local JC coach will have enough qualifications, enough peripheral interest that they may be willing to do that for him but enough distance that they will likely do so with honest, if not harsh feedback (particularly knowing the personalities of a few of the SD JC HC's).  

Another avenue is to post his recruiting video here.  There are plenty of capable eyes that can provide feedback with no reason to sugar coat.

Side note... at this point, if his travel team organization doesn't have ties to colleges and offer direction in that regard, you may need to consider whether he is in the right place at this point in time.  

Last edited by cabbagedad

A lot will depend on where he goes with velocity. He has the size D1’s love. He needs to get his velocity to 90+ to be a D1 recruit.**

You should get him on a travel team or in individual showcases where he can be seen by D1 coaches. At his current measurables he would attract “follow” interest. He should be on a travel team with college contacts who can presell him as a “should see him pitch” recommendation before the events. 

His pitching coach may be prone to hyperbole. But “a lot of potential if he’s willing to work hard at pitching” would be reasonable based on current numbers.

** Yes, I realize many D1 pitchers cruise upper 80’s. But to be recruited they better ring the (90) bell a few time at recruiting events.

Last edited by RJM

Take him to tryouts for the Top 10 or so travel ball teams in SoCal/AZ. If he makes any of the A teams that is a very good sign. 86 and size will get him D1 offers this coming summer if he has an off speed and can get the ball within the vicinity of the plate. I don't know how much he has been throwing or playing this fall but start making some phone calls to set up workouts. I know a few teams from the travel circuit, I'm sure the CA guys on here can point you in the right direction as well if you're looking for higher level teams. 

RJM posted:

** Yes, I realize many D1 pitchers cruise upper 80’s. But to be recruited they better ring the (90) bell a few time at recruiting events.

Agree, we know several lefties that are hitting 87-88, but even non P5 D1s are wanting the 90.  Granted, done of them are 6'4, and that plays into it.  Assuming he isn't maxed out on velo, he projects D1.  Take him to some camps at schools he is interested in.  If they start falling all over him, you know you are in the right pond.

knownothingdad posted:

NYCDAD and DESERTDUCK, thanks for the PBR tip.  He has played in a PBR tournament, but not a showcase.  I will look into it. 

Would he get an objective assessment at a college camp, or would it be standard boilerplate feedback (get in the gym, work hard in school, etc.)?

College camps - not likely unless they take a particular interest in you.  Any assessment, if there is one, will be as you said - boilerplate with probably a positive spin but not likely to be specific direction with regard to which level you should be targeting unless it is clearly lower levels, which does not apply here.  The exception would be if you or your travel team coaches know a RC or HC who will be there and ask specifically if they can take a look and give that assessment.  Again, though, if you are with the right travel org at this point in time, they should be able to tell you.

Another note regarding college camp - You will have much better luck if it is specifically a true prospect camp where the college HC and RC have invited several kids or teams they want to get second looks at.

Last edited by cabbagedad
PABaseball posted:

Take him to tryouts for the Top 10 or so travel ball teams in SoCal/AZ. If he makes any of the A teams that is a very good sign. 86 and size will get him D1 offers this coming summer if he has an off speed and can get the ball within the vicinity of the plate. I don't know how much he has been throwing or playing this fall but start making some phone calls to set up workouts. I know a few teams from the travel circuit, I'm sure the CA guys on here can point you in the right direction as well if you're looking for higher level teams. 

PABaseball, thanks for the advice.  Do you know how I might start compiling a list of the top SoCal travel teams?  

baseballhs posted:
RJM posted:

Agree, we know several lefties that are hitting 87-88, but even non P5 D1s are wanting the 90.  Granted, done of them are 6'4, and that plays into it.  Assuming he isn't maxed out on velo, he projects D1.  Take him to some camps at schools he is interested in.  If they start falling all over him, you know you are in the right pond.

That is far from what I am seeing. 87-88 as a LHP will get you an offer (D1)

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:
knownothingdad posted:
baseballhs posted:

Looks to be D1 based strictly on measurables.

BaseballHS, thanks for the input.  

If this is the first time he’s hearing this, with that size and metrics I would be shocked. Where the heck are you playing ball at that this kid isn’t already on a ton of radars?!

collegebaseballrecruitingguide, he has heard some positive feedback from a few people, but he hasn't been in the travel ball circuit since the age of eight and has made some major improvements in the last year. 

He plays on a travel team whose coaches focus on fundamentals and getting better, not on college recruiting. Several people have mentioned more recruiting-focused programs.  Sounds like we'll need to consider joining one of them.

Your son has the frame and measurables to be a sure fire D1 prospect.  I would make a list of schools he would like to go to and get in front of them ASAP.  6’4” LHP hitting 86 MPH at such a young age, will have coaches falling over themselves.  

Personally, I would also convert him to a PO so he can focus on all the small things related to pitching.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.