Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is a freshman OF/C at Bradley University. Recruited as a hitter who catches and can play OF and is now appears to be an OF who can catch. He believes that OF is the place that he will have the most opportunity to get playing time as a freshman. First few weekends against non P5's in Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida. Our series in the north country is a weekend series at U of Michigan March 17th-20th and then our first home game is against U of Illinois on March 21st.

Very excited for this season and praying for good health, fun, and be the best version of himself as a human and as a baseball player!

Last edited by used2lurk
@used2lurk posted:

My son is a freshman OF/C at Bradley University. Recruited as a hitter who catches and can play OF and is now appears to be an OF who can catch. He believes that OF is the place that he will have the most opportunity to get playing time as a freshman. First few weekends against non P5's in Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida. Our series in the north country is a weekend series at U of Michigan March 17th-20th and then our first home game is against U of Illinois on March 21st.

Very excited for this season and praying for good health, fun, and be the best version of himself as a human and as a baseball player!

I see that Bradley University will be in Boca Raton at FAU. Hope that your son can make the trip!

Hope y’all don’t mind a JUCO plug here. If you look at the bracket you’ll see some familiar names at the PCB College Classic
https://www.perfectgame.org/Ev...94&Date=2/3/2023

This was a fantastic event last year and I can’t wait for it get started. Son plays for the host Gulf Coast Commodores.

Here’s a little local coverage:

https://www.wjhg.com/2023/02/0...ach-college-classic/

Last edited by Tug Tide
@Tug Tide posted:

Hope y’all don’t mind a JUCO plug here. If you look at the bracket you’ll see some familiar names at the PCB College Classic

This was a fantastic event last year and I can’t wait for it get started. Son plays for the host Gulf Coast Commodores.

I have family playing in the tournament. Can’t wait to watch some baseball.

@Tug Tide posted:

Great early season event with a tremendous field of teams.

Hooray for warm weather baseball!  NAIA and juco started last week, D2 and D3 get going this week.  D1 has to wait until the 17th?  I've got my bookmarks set up to check scores for teams of interest, so I'm ready to go.

For those in Maine, I hope you are keeping warm.

It’s still oK at 1:30pm it’s 8/-5 wind chill. I just biked 5 miles to Panera. At 2am it’s going to be -16/-49. Had I gone south (?) to my home on the North Shore of Boston it would be 11/-22 (right on the ocean) presently and -7/-44 at 5am.

Not that I planned to be in Portland because it less windy here. I’m on the back cove in Portland. But had I been in Nahant I couldn’t have biked the causeway to the Panera in Swampscott. I would have had to drive. Biking would have been a mile stretch of wide open exposure to the ocean on both sides with 23 mph winds.

Life could be worse. The wind chill is going to hit -70 tonight in Fort Kent ME (most northern point in the state).

It was 40 yesterday and still 30 at 11pm. It will be 43 on Sunday and 47 in the Boston area.

Last edited by RJM

Who's got the inside scoop on Boston in mid-March?

Son's team will play a series at Northeastern, and we're hoping to make the trek up there from North Carolina.

Will be out first time to experience the fair city, so looking for a little local knowledge: lodging, food, sightseeing, things to do and things to avoid...

@T_Thomas posted:

Son's team will play a series at Northeastern, and we're hoping to make the trek up there from North Carolina.

Will be out first time to experience the fair city, so looking for a little local knowledge: lodging, food, sightseeing, things to do and things to avoid...

RJM is your man for all things Boston

@T_Thomas - Boston mid-March will be cold / blustery - be prepared for that!  Boston is a very walkable city with plenty of transport options (T is easy/prevalent - get a Charlie Card) that don't include needing to rent a car (your call though - parking is always a challenge and pricey plus it's too easy to get headed in the wrong direction for those unfamiliar with the city - it's not a grid, it's haphazard). Uber from the airport is generally the easiest way - cabs can be tricky there, although plentiful there's a few suspect operators.  Uber pickup is in the garage - there's signs all over the airport to help you (it's one place you will find signs in Boston).

Northeastern's baseball field is essentially on/off the green line - there's a couple of options - use GoogleMaps to see, but the "C" and "D" green lines will get you close.  Where to stay depends on your budget - obviously the closer to downtown & waterfront, the more expensive.  You'll be close enuf to Fenway to take a tour and there's plenty of history if that's your jam (Freedom Trail, Haymarket, Old Ironsides). We found the Boston Tea Party ships to be a bit of a tourist trap... Like Canoli's? - Be sure to head to the North End on Hanover St where you can determine if you like Mike's Pastry's or the Modern Pastry (bring cash).   Dinner in the North End is an Italian smorgasbord - reservations at some places, while others you will see lines out the door. Plenty of places to find lobster - they'll all say they're the best. Chinatown has a few good places. Use the Open Table app - it'll help. Oh and be sure to say hi to Mike Glavine (HC of NE) - he coached my oldest son's travel baseball team ;-).

@T_Thomas posted:

Probably a series they should be playing on the road

Wow, you guys are great.  Thanks for the info and PMs.  I got back in late from watching an intra-squad scrimmage yesterday. Almost went an entire day without the HSBBW.

Ironically, Northeastern is playing 5 miles from our school on opening weekend, but then we go up up to play at their place a month later.

@JohnF - really good stuff.  Hopefully we won't need a rental car.  Thanks for the airport tips and other suggestions. It will be a whirlwind in-and-out, so we'll try to see as much as we can in a couple days.  Unfortunately, all the cheap(er)flights leave Boston early in the morning and wife cant miss Monday at school, so we might have to skip the Sunday game. 

@RJM, I knew you were the go-to guy on all things Boston, so I'll try to get up with you if specific questions come up.

It's a different world up there for an old southern boy like me.  I keep seeing Good Will Hunting and the "My Cousin from Boston" guy in my mind's eye :-)

Oh, yeah, it's also St. Patrick's Weekend, so there's that...

@2022NYC posted:

Kean Univeristy in Union NJ has it's first game on Thursday, yikes. Fortunately the weather forecast is 54 degrees

Kean has turf field with a full dugout heat system and lights, the coldest day of my college baseball life was there. game started at 4 pm 34 degree with constant breeze, by the 9th it was 24 and steady 17/20 mph winds. it was literally painful.

plus you are right off the river so it is a damp nasty cold.

Last edited by old_school

Son had opening weekend last year at St. Jospeh's in Phily. Game 2 on Saturday had to be stopped because of snow squals. Pretty sure it's still on St. Joseph's twitter account.

I think because out of conference can be scheduled so far in advance you had/have a lot of Northeast schools that scheduled these games during Covid. Usually they would have been down south or out west, but seeing a lot of schools staying closer to home the first few weeks. Fortunately we're in CA and SC opening weekend.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.