Skip to main content

@adbono posted:

Yes, the Swanson Hungry Man dinner!

Good times! They comprised most of my dinners from age 9 to 16. Of course pre-teen was the regular Swanson TV dinners - not the hungry man version. No microwaves back then, they were cooked in the oven. Depending on the type -  Salisbury steak, fried chicken or the Mexican one (with the cornbread), you’d have to cut or open the tin foil in there right sections to get the right browning.

Nothing like having a single parent that worked nights to learn the culinary arts…

@TPM posted:

NCAA D1 home run  stats after 12 games

2023 2,108... 2.06 per game

2022  1,551...1.55 per game

2019 pre covid (same time of year) 1300...1.37 per game

What has changed?

IMO... the weather

One thing I have noticed - high schoolers are significantly bigger than I remember them being only 5-10 years ago. It seems like every kid I see now athlete or non athlete is 6'0 or up. Nephew is a sophomore, says he's small for his class. He's 5'9 at 15.

Also I imagine the increased velos and the older, stronger players would make those numbers trend up. More 23-25 year olds playing in the past 2 years than ever.

I don't know how accurate baseball reference is when it comes to college stats, but my son pointed out to me yesterday that according to it as a 20yo junior he is -1.6 years the avg age. This number seems to be for all of D1 and not by class (for example as a freshman he was -3.3). So that would seem to put the avg age of a D1 player around 22.

@CADad949 posted:

Anyone have any insight as to why most of the Northwestern coaches left last week?

They are yet to win a game this year. I think their 0-7 start may be the worst in program history. They have a new HC that came from West Point who has made a point of establishing a new culture. So the coaching departures could have something to do with one or both of those things. I’m only aware of two coaches leaving, one of which was PC Jon Strauss who I’m not a fan of.

@adbono posted:

They are yet to win a game this year. I think their 0-7 start may be the worst in program history. They have a new HC that came from West Point who has made a point of establishing a new culture. So the coaching departures could have something to do with one or both of those things. I’m only aware of two coaches leaving, one of which was PC Jon Strauss who I’m not a fan of.

Son was recruited by Foster last summer.  Culture was big on his list.  

I love college baseball.  We lost last night but a great experience.  Sat in front of 3 great loyal LSU fans but had a full game of baseball conversation.  We had a chance facing best college baseball pitcher by far, imo.   Great time.  We gave it away in 8th with two errors in tied game with 2 outs.  I love college baseball when it is done right.  

Know I'm late but you guys seem like you're having fun.

Oldest son done playing (Amherst) but running in his second Boston Marathon on Monday. Does that count for anything? At all?

Middle son a senior CF at Swarthmore. This year the team has been in more football score games--winning and losing--than single digit games. Total Jekyll and Hyde season.

Youngest is a first year pitcher at Vassar. A lot of appearances, all in relief, all in high stress situations, all 1-2 innings long. Doing well about 60% of the time.

And just to make sure you don't leave un-entertained, there is this:

https://fb.watch/jTrwSlTRIO/

Last edited by smokeminside

Oldest son done playing (Amherst) but running in his second Boston Marathon on Sunday. Does that count for anything? At all?

Middle son a senior CF at Swarthmore. This year the team has been in more football score games--winning and losing--than single digit games. Total Jekyll and Hyde season.

Youngest is a first year pitcher at Vassar. A lot of appearances, all in relief, all in high stress situations, all 1-2 innings long. Doing well about 60% of the time.

Welcome to the party, Smoke! Man, I hear ya about the football scores. A good friend has a sin that’s a Senior IF at Haverford. He called me the other day to call my attention to the score in the Haverford vs Washington game. The final score was 33-8 in favor of Haverford. In the 7th inning Haverford batted for 40 minutes and scored 19 runs. In that inning my friend’s son (Zach) had 3 plate appearances. Which resulted in a grand slam, a HBP, and a 2 run HR. Zach had 6 RBI and scored 3 runs in one inning. He tied NCAA D3 records for HRs in an inning (2), and runs scored in an inning (3). Unbelievable. I have never heard of 19 runs being scored in one half inning of college baseball.

My guy plays for W&L in the ODAC and let me tell you that is a tough conference.  #3, #11 and #12 teams in D3 all in one place. Stacked. Our team is currently middle of the pack with a lot of young talent. Good hitting team, but have had serious challenges with infield play. That's been the difference between them being in the 4 spot and the 6 spot in their conference.  Top 8 make the ODAC playoffs and ideally we'd end up the 4 or 5 spot but they'd probably have to run through the rest of the month to get there  As for my son, was hoping for a little more action post TJ, but there's still mountain left to climb.  Has to make a performance jump this summer, which he'll put every effort into doing. 

Oldest son done playing (Amherst) but running in his second Boston Marathon on Monday. Does that count for anything? At all?

Im sure our paths crossed on the North East recruiting circuit.   The HC's for Swarthmore and Vassar are both terrific guys.  And thanks for that clip, truly funny.

Very likely.  He was at one of the Long Island HF sessions.  Wash and Lee was one of my guy's top choices. I distinctly remember watching my son walk up to one of your son's coaches during the coach meet. They exchanged a few words and my son walked away. He later told me the coach quickly and politely told him that while they liked his pitching, his academics weren't up to snuff. He (and I) REALLY appreciated how no-nonsense the coach was. Saved us a LOT of time and emotional investment.

Good luck to your son. Tough conference for sure.

Last edited by smokeminside
@CADad949 posted:

Wanted everyone’s thoughts. Which conference, Big East or WCC, has better baseball talent and quality of games being played?

If baseball was the only factor, which conference would you prefer to play in?

Both one bid conferences. Big East has UConn which is a top 10 team this year and generally speaking a strong program. Creighton is generally a good program. Bottom 3/4 of that conference are not very good on a year to year basis.

Baseball being the only factor - WCC is going to have significantly better weather.

My son ended his first year season getting swept in the quarterfinals. Luckily preparing for his class finals will keep him distracted and not thinking about the shoulda, woulda, coulda and what ifs. The team did well overall, it had Jeckyl and Hyde performances but showed some brilliance when both pitching and hitting were performing. The roster was crowded and impossible to satisfy the players. The coaches did use the pre-season and practices to determine playing time. The kid started off slowly and had an injury that fairly affected his PT. The coaches did play freshmen and they did produce nicely, really going against the coaching grain even with other HA D3 teams. They did also pull 2 D1 transfers this year, one started and the other was part time not sure if injury was involved. The kid played the last 6 games including the playoffs and hit very well and contributed runs as expected. His surgically repaired arm had no issues and he did not hesitate to let it eat on throws to 3rd or home. I think he will look back at this favorably but completely dissatisfied and it will fuel him during this off season to get even better. At the risk of being sadistic, I enjoyed his struggle because it allowed him to grow and mature to overcome it. I only provided an ear/shoulder with some counsel when asked and offered encouragement plus gave lots of $ubsidy with the $&@*ing food apps. Anyway, I am sure all this fawning over my son will quickly change when he comes back home next week. I did miss the home chaos with 2 boys but I really did appreciate the partial tranquility with having only 1 kid for 9 months.

Last edited by 2022NYC

Senior Night tomorrow night.  Son should come back for another year unless God decides to bless him again with a call on draft day.  Been a great journey so far.  He will leave as #2 Career Appearances leader, top 5 single season appearances, and top 10 in career era.  If he comes back, he will be #1 in appearances and have a chance to move up in other 2.  Played in CWS and was on SEC season and tournament champion teams. We say this all the time but it goes by so fast.  If your son is young, enjoy the ride.  it is a short one.  And probably was not supposed to play SEC level ball with no more velo than he has and only 5'10".

Last edited by PitchingFan

That last post came across as bragging but that was not my intention.  It was supposed to be an encouragement to those who maybe are not the biggest, strongest or fastest.  Son's gift is the ability to throw 5 pitches for strikes in any count and hit his spots.  He was recruited early but not for his velocity but success.  His final goal is to get one at bat in college, plus maybe win a CWS

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.