Skip to main content

I'll say from the onset that I'm not looking for a magic bullet or the golden solution associated with this post - more of a share, but feedback, as always, from the vast network of folks on this site is always welcome.

Also a note of caution. I'm the dad, so know my post will automatically come with bias and my son being the best player in the country (not really...but you know what I mean).

I would say in general our son has always found challenges with fitting his body size. He was nearly 6-6 when he was 14 and at one point grew 6 inches in 6 months. He was placed as a PO in his freshman year and although it was a known spot, we thought it came a year early. He has been blessed to play with some great club teams and this past summer his team was literally a half a step from making the final 32 teams in the Ft. Myers PerfectGame tourney (the team that edged them out ended up winning second place). Through his many years of playing, he has faced more mental challenges (mainly confidence) than physical, but the physical challenges have been real as well - mainly with learning his body shape and capabilities. Bottom line, I firmly believe he's a strong JuCo/D2/D3 level player and may fit some D1 level programs.

Last bit of background is his dual enrollment in college plus high school for his Junior and Senior years of high school. That plus some AP courses in high school should put him around 42-44 college credit hours upon high school graduation. The plus is he carries a 3.4-3.6 GPA (unweighted). So, for sure proud mom and dad for his academic efforts. His academic desires are engineering so that begins to narrow the field of available four year schools should he take that route.

The challenge is what likely fits for him on the athletic front is the JuCo level (he needs more reps and playing time) but during a showcase a few months ago a JuCo coach actually told him to skip JuCo academically since he only needs about 16 hours and the coaches will want him for 2 years. All understandable for our son and for us as parents.

Here is our super proud moment - he has decided to prioritize academics over athletics and should the baseball opportunity exist, he will certainly pursue - but since he is looking at D1 Texas and Mississippi schools, he understands that is a pretty narrow funnel to work through in the coming months since those coaches are essentially finished looking at 2023 graduates. But, if he gets a look for "project ability" he'll continue his baseball career.

While I have read many of threads on this forum, I now am experiencing what I have read many of times. The potential off-ramp away from baseball as the funnel begins to narrow quickly at the college selection stage. As I've reflected the last few weeks based on his current path, I would offer the following:

• Enjoy the ride while it lasts. I feel like just yesterday we were buying our first bat and him trying to figure out what he wanted to do int he sport and then the next thing you know, we're touring the southeast in Atlanta and Ft. Myers this summer playing against some of the greatest ball clubs around the country. Time evaporates quickly.
  • Honor his decision, regardless of my pride and desire. The only sport I follow and consume is baseball. I love the park atmosphere, the journey of the players, the culture of the sport, heck - my "fidget spinner" at my work desk is a baseball. Regardless, of my son's decision(s) to continue to play, that will never change. And he and I will ALWAYS have a sport we can go watch together.
  • Give back. Watching my son umpire youth baseball has resonated with me as a way to give back to those 7-14 year old kids just getting a taste of the sport and to encourage and develop the desire in them to play.

Thanks for reading.

8F3817C3-E5D1-4DAE-AA36-7CE60E552B01_1_201_aCCB9EEE1-5734-4178-A72B-E8876424D5C3_1_201_aEED355DF-7463-4C26-AD2A-92410444256A

“That’s the way baseball go.” - Ron Washington

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 8F3817C3-E5D1-4DAE-AA36-7CE60E552B01_1_201_a
  • CCB9EEE1-5734-4178-A72B-E8876424D5C3_1_201_a
  • EED355DF-7463-4C26-AD2A-92410444256A
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can't the credit problem just be solved be picking up a second major? I don't actually know, I'm asking.

On the other hand, it's prolonging college and paying more money when the whole point is to use baseball to try and subsidize the costs.

If your son will enter college as essentially a sophomore, and he performs well at a D2/D3 he could use his remaining eligibility at a D1 grad program if he continues to progress. Our program has had 1 or 2 grad transfers a year for the past few years that came from D2/3s

Regarding adding a second major for another associates degree, the current thought is it’s “not worth the squeeze to get the juice” so to speak.

While he would like to scholarship to play baseball, he also wants to keep “walk on” options open and let merit scholarships help offset vs just looking for athletic scholarships. Trying to keep alL options open at this point - while academically beginning to narrow his efforts.

We (he and I) have complete ignorance on transfer and what that may look like in a few years so I at least need to educate myself more on that front.

Appreciate the questions and feedback!!

You are probably already fully aware but...

Engineering is a fantastic field but can be a very difficult major to have and try to play baseball at the same time.  There are schools that are more inclined to make it work but those are usually smaller and often less prestigious schools.  You can search old threads and find a full rundown on those schools.

Also, if he is able to get his FB over 90, it probably becomes more feasible at a few more schools

Last edited by cabbagedad

I should have also shared I am an engineer myself, but did not do athletics in college - so certainly know the rigor on the academic side. I am biased there as well, but it's one of the best return on investments for education out there. Just more demanding than other degrees.

He's doing Tread Athletics training program now (currently remotely with a coach - we're in North Dallas, TX area) and that has been fantastic for his agility and strength. The fall was more focused on those components and the spring will be ramping up the mechanics side. His long toss has already increased and some soreness from doing that prior to the program has dissipated.

It may be a bar he has just set for himself, but he'd like to land at 92 by the end of high school ball. I'm certainly not going to hold him back, but that's a pretty significant increase in a short period of time. That, again, coming from someone who has never played nor trained anyone for the sport. His curve is his best pitch (in my opinion) based on it's late drop at the plate.

Appreciate the feedback!

It’s getting late in the process. He does have size on his side. He could bloom into a D1 pitcher with D1 velocity in the next couple of years. A benefit with the current transfer rules is he can play at any four year level, develop and transfer up. Getting on the right collegiate summer ball team, facing D1 hitters and gaining attention could help him transfer up.

But, if engineering is the focus anywhere he goes to a college and plays ball there has to be a serious conversation about the academic and baseball fit. My conversational experience is HA D3’s make it work. How are his SAT’s? Have Ivies ever shown an interest?

A friend of mine attended a ranked baseball program. The coach told him no problem with engineering. Then he pressured him to switch majors after freshman year. My friend made the switch.

@Gdubya posted:

1320 SAT. 28 ACT.

Never been approached by any Ivy Leagues. Candidly, he’s also not reached out to them.

Given the timing the avenue to take would be an advocate who knows your son’s talent well. He would have to make a call to the baseball program that starts with … I have this 6’7” academically talented pitcher.

Recruited baseball players can get through Ivy admissions with the help of the coach with GPA’s around 3.5 and SAT’s of 1300-1350.

At this point I imagine he's going to have to apply to schools as a regular student. What I would be doing is targeting HA schools with competitive baseball programs. Hopkins, Rochester, NYU, etc. If he has a baseball guy who can advocate on his behalf it may be worth it to apply to some D1 programs. His word may be able to get him on the fall roster and if it doesn't work out, worst case scenario he is at a good school with a good enough engineering program.

If the juco route has any appeal, send a message to adbono (especially being from Tx) he will tell you where your son can and cannot play.

FWIW there was a former poster here whose son went from a juco and ended up at Purdue so it does happen where you can end up at a school with strong engineering

I love what you say about your son's baseball experience.  And it's great that he knows what he wants to study in college.

If he's a 2023 grad, applications are due in a few weeks.  Has he applied to schools?   does he have a list of schools where he plans to apply to study engineering?  There are plenty of excellent D3 schools with engineering majors on their baseball teams.  If your son can get into one without baseball coach support with admissions, then why not do that?  Once he knows about admissions, contact the baseball coach.

Given his grades/SAT, if he would need the support of the baseball coach to be admitted, then he's missed the Early Decision circus, but things sometimes change, he could still contact a coach and ask about support. 6'7" pitchers don't grow on trees.

The threads purely about engineering are a few years old, there's one from 2016:

https://community.hsbaseballwe...chools-with-baseball

This post might be relevant:

https://community.hsbaseballwe...11#67190315946817211

@Gdubya posted:

Also a note of caution. I'm the dad, so know my post will automatically come with bias and my son being the best player in the country (not really...but you know what I mean).

hearing you...... if my son was a 6-7 RHP I would find him a home to pursue baseball while getting an engineering degree.  We don't have your issues though.  My son is legit high end D1 2023 and carries a solid 2.3 GPA without any of those AP classes.  Clemson is still acting like they didn't offer him which is annoying so we prob will choose Mississippi State (once they reach out).  

@RJM posted: A friend of mine attended a ranked baseball program. The coach told him no problem with engineering. Then he pressured him to switch majors after freshman year. My friend made the switch.

This (above) happens more often than not, if attending a D1. They need everyone in classes that can work around baseball, can you say "sports management" or something similar.

My son was 6'5" as a senior but was a bit thicker (a corner guy, and RHP closer), he looked more like your son after a few months of JUCO. With your son being 6'7", with good academics, if he can get the velocity above 90, I would think he'd have a lot of opportunity.

Have you looked at the Driveline program, I've heard good things? My son used NPA with great success - touched 91 as HS senior, sat 91-93 as a JUCO freshman, touched 97 as a JUCO sophomore.

Good luck, it's a blessing to have an athlete that is academic focused.

His metrics and scores line up with quite a few HA schools. As Anotherparent mentioned, apps are due in a few weeks. He might be able to get some extensions. Keep in mind, a lot of HA schools may not give credit for most of his AP or dual enrollment credits.

To help speed up the search he can look on a site like Niche and find schools where his SAT fits in. As long as he’s in the range a HA coach might be able to push him through admissions.

@JucoDad posted:

This (above) happens more often than not, if attending a D1. They need everyone in classes that can work around baseball, can you say "sports management" or something similar.

Last year at son's team gala when all the players announced their majors, it almost became comical...90% were communications majors and many of them have al their classes together.

Last edited by baseballhs

I was curious about the Engineering thing, my alma mater is a well known engineering school in a P5 conference, often ranked top 3 in certain engineering disciplines.  There were only two engineers one actually a senior on the 2022 roster, so he made it.  Most players are some sales management major, not something I would go to college for.

Considering it's considered an engineering school, looks like the push to other majors is certainly real.  There are a few stems, but again like 40% of the team is this sales major.. Wonder if it's the equivalent of the old football "Family Planning" major.  They didn't use to allow undeclared majors like many schools do.  I think that ended a long time ago though.

I know you mentioned Texas and Mississippi but I'm gonna suggest this anyway. Swarthmore could work (though it's late).  One of the few HA D3 schools that has an engineering program. Competitive D3 Regional team. D3 CWS appearance a couple of years ago.  Great coach who might have some pull, even at this late date, with admissions.  And I guaran-dam-tee you they need pitching.  I know everyone needs pitching but they REALLY need pitching.

BTW loved the thoughtfulness of your post.  For your kid being the best player in the country, you sure seem to have your head on straight.

Last edited by smokeminside

There were schools recruiting my son that basically told him our baseball players don't major in STEM fields.  There is generally a collision between a few classes offered and practice and lifting times.  Luckily the one of the schools he was most interested in was a mid-major whose coaches had no issue with players missing some workouts in their upper class years.  By that point the players should be more mature and get the necessary work done.    He was a pitcher also with 30+ hours (most coaches know that academically these players are not a risk) but they all don't necessarily count depending on required elective clusters.  A pitcher missing practice or showing up late for practice is a lot easier to manage than a position player so you should see what may work.  Your son's size should make him very attractive to most teams.    The additional credits also made it workable to take a lighter load during the season when games and travel schedules impact classes.  It is free to ask the questions.  I would think a mid-major is a great fit for your son.  My son's school had a STEM program scholarship which paired nicely with the baseball scholarship.  Drafted as a Junior he had like two specific courses to finish up his major in the Senior Fall semester.  My son threw mostly 86-89 in college.  He throws 92-94 now so you should expect some late blossoming velocity assuming he will add significant muscle mass to a great frame.  Things can work out very well at a Mid Major.  Probably will not compete for a national title but the player can have a good academic and baseball experience.  It really depends on how the coaches run the program. 

Gdubya,

Your post was very refreshing.  It is a conundrum only as much as you allow it to be.   Opportunities are out there for your son, you just need to know how to navigate the college baseball admissions and recruiting "waters" as well as understand time lines for each.

I have a very soft spot for potential college engineering majors who want to play college baseball.   Frankly, I thought I retired from posting on HSBBWeb until I saw your post.   I'm not going to pretend that I know all your details, but if your son has a passion for engineering and a passion for baseball I think it is worth pursuing with everything you've got.  From my personal experience, it is the road less travelled and it is not always unicorns and rainbows along the way.  It is what my oldest son wanted, and he never deviated from his plan despite some bumps in the road.  He graduated on time and had engineering job offers before his senior year started.  He also had a great college baseball experience.   He was recently promoted and is completing his Masters in Engineering degree. 

My middle son was also an engineering undergrad, but he lacked the passion my oldest son had for baseball.  So he did not pursue college baseball opportunities that were presented to him.  It worked out extremely well for him as well.  He's got a great job & career and is  half way through his MBA.  He couldn't be happier.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details.  Good luck, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

Will

@fenwaysouth posted:

Gdubya,

Your post was very refreshing.  It is a conundrum only as much as you allow it to be.   Opportunities are out there for your son, you just need to know how to navigate the college baseball admissions and recruiting "waters" as well as understand time lines for each.

I have a very soft spot for potential college engineering majors who want to play college baseball.   Frankly, I thought I retired from posting on HSBBWeb until I saw your post.   I'm not going to pretend that I know all your details, but if your son has a passion for engineering and a passion for baseball I think it is worth pursuing with everything you've got.  From my personal experience, it is the road less travelled and it is not always unicorns and rainbows along the way.  It is what my oldest son wanted, and he never deviated from his plan despite some bumps in the road.  He graduated on time and had engineering job offers before his senior year started.  He also had a great college baseball experience.   He was recently promoted and is completing his Masters in Engineering degree.

My middle son was also an engineering undergrad, but he lacked the passion my oldest son had for baseball.  So he did not pursue college baseball opportunities that were presented to him.  It worked out extremely well for him as well.  He's got a great job & career and is  half way through his MBA.  He couldn't be happier.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details.  Good luck, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

Will

I was waiting for you to show up. 😊

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.