Skip to main content

My (young) 2023 (should be 2024) had fall surgery knee and finally back to 90%. Recruiting paused through this.  Has a D2 PWO offer. Not dream school but coach seemingly good match. Religious school (we are not). ?relevant?

Having great HS pitching so far - undefeated RHP FB 86; great secondaries. Switch hitter - hitting has been less successful- pre sx was decent - middle of the pack. Can pitch lefty too but have not developed that. Strongly considering gap year. Do you fall off radars if not in hs or college?? Will be able to play on travel team still because young enough. Or jump at offer?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is it relevant to not be religious at a religious school? It depends. Culture is an important fit to look at. One of son’s travel teammates went to a religious university and transferred after a year. He got tired of having Jesus shoved down his throat every day.

On a quality travel team the coaching staff will be involved in interactions with college programs. A good travel program recommends and presell players to college programs.

Last edited by RJM

Not all D2 programs are alike. What is the conference?

What does your son want out of his experience? What's most important? Does he really like the school, the competition?

My son went to school in South Carolina, no issue. But I have two friends whose sons went to 2 different D1 programs in the southeast and left because they felt Bible study or prayer was not part of the baseball program.

Considering that your son missed baseball due to injury, if it were me, I would look into the particulars about taking a gap year or a JUCO.

Last edited by TPM
@Herewego posted:

My (young) 2023 (should be 2024) had fall surgery knee and finally back to 90%. Recruiting paused through this.  Has a D2 PWO offer. Not dream school but coach seemingly good match. Religious school (we are not). ?relevant?

Having great HS pitching so far - undefeated RHP FB 86; great secondaries. Switch hitter - hitting has been less successful- pre sx was decent - middle of the pack. Can pitch lefty too but have not developed that. Strongly considering gap year. Do you fall off radars if not in hs or college?? Will be able to play on travel team still because young enough. Or jump at offer?

Based on the way you've laid out the situation, it is not a tremendous fit.  What are his expectations for college and after college?  Does this offer meet the expectations for college and after?  Only he can answer.  The one thing that seems positive based on your description is the coach is a good match.   In my experience that is not enough.  There has to be more than the coach being a good fit, because coaches come and go at the drop of a hat.

You have a few options.   But nobody here knows the whole story but you.  Pros and cons to each one, and extremely dependent on what your son wants to get out of college.   Some want to become professional baseball players.  Others play the game because they love it, and will be pursuing business, legal, medical, engineering, etc... careers once their college career is over.   Here are my initial thoughts.....

1) Take the D2 PWO offer, and see how it goes.   Transfer if it doesn't meet his expectations.

2) Continue with D2 recruiting at other schools and D3 recruiting which is getting ready to gear up.  Not sure what his academic background is, but could pursue some high level D3 academic schools if it is a fit.   He'll probably need to reach to some new schools if he is pursuing D3 schools.

3) JUCO to begin his education and develop college baseball skills without the NCAA clock starting.  Again, he may need to reach out to some JUCO schools if he hadn't reached out before.   JUCO is very popular right now given the NCAA rules around the transfer portal and the Covid extended playing eligibility.

4) Gap year.  This has worked for some.   You'll need to research your particular situation if this a good fit.  Given the popularity with JUCO programs these days, it makes more sense to me to jump there (start his education) than it does to take a gap year.   

As always, JMO.  Good luck!

Next year is a big year in College Baseball.  There are exceptions, but 2024 for the most part is the season where the last of a vast majority of the college players who got an extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic will be in their last college season

Because of that, 2025 will be the first year in a while where roster logjams begin to ease up.

Because of that, a gap year is a good option for some…

@fenwaysouth posted:

Based on the way you've laid out the situation, it is not a tremendous fit.  What are his expectations for college and after college?  Does this offer meet the expectations for college and after?  Only he can answer.  The one thing that seems positive based on your description is the coach is a good match.   In my experience that is not enough.  There has to be more than the coach being a good fit, because coaches come and go at the drop of a hat.

You have a few options.   But nobody here knows the whole story but you.  Pros and cons to each one, and extremely dependent on what your son wants to get out of college.   Some want to become professional baseball players.  Others play the game because they love it, and will be pursuing business, legal, medical, engineering, etc... careers once their college career is over.   Here are my initial thoughts.....

1) Take the D2 PWO offer, and see how it goes.   Transfer if it doesn't meet his expectations.

2) Continue with D2 recruiting at other schools and D3 recruiting which is getting ready to gear up.  Not sure what his academic background is, but could pursue some high level D3 academic schools if it is a fit.   He'll probably need to reach to some new schools if he is pursuing D3 schools.

3) JUCO to begin his education and develop college baseball skills without the NCAA clock starting.  Again, he may need to reach out to some JUCO schools if he hadn't reached out before.   JUCO is very popular right now given the NCAA rules around the transfer portal and the Covid extended playing eligibility.

4) Gap year.  This has worked for some.   You'll need to research your particular situation if this a good fit.  Given the popularity with JUCO programs these days, it makes more sense to me to jump there (start his education) than it does to take a gap year.   

As always, JMO.  Good luck!

@fenwaysouth I agree all points, the JUCO route seems good until you do the research, like most cases, JUCO can pick and chose due to the abundance of student-athletes scrambling to find a home.

Bottom Line "What is the JUCO Pipeline?"

John A. Logan_2023_Juco_Insights_JUCO_Pipeline

Does the JUCO have strengths sending certain positions

John A. Logan_2023_Juco_Insights_JUCO_Pipeline_Details

Note, this information is sporadic at best, and it should be researched from the perspective of who made the 4yr school roster vs what is found on the JUCO programs website (Moving On) as for this might not reflect if the player made the roster in subsequent year or is still on the team.

As you are aware Post Grad Schools are popping up everywhere.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • John A. Logan_2023_Juco_Insights_JUCO_Pipeline
  • John A. Logan_2023_Juco_Insights_JUCO_Pipeline_Details

So much to consider in such a brief post.

First, has he applied to and been accepted by the D2? Any other colleges?

What would be the objectives for the gap year? Train as a RHP and get that velo up? Train as a LHP since that's a more valuable commodity? IMO, it would be tough to significantly improve as a position player. Will he work? Earn a few college credits? Travel? Improve SAT/ACT? How will he get a coach's attention this summer and next fall when they're recruiting high school kids and transfers (much easier to do this as a pitcher)? Does he have a team lined up for this summer?

From your description, the D2 offer sounds like a considerable compromise. Is son excited about that option, or just considering it because it's the only offer? PWO means different things at different schools. Son should ask about previous players who were PWO (preferably, ask some current players).

If your son is ready to get started with college, I would give juco a serious look. Unlike NCAA, he could start visiting schools and throwing pens for juco coaches immediately. You don’t have an overabundance of juco options in GA. Would he be interested in going out of state?

A gap year takes planning and knowledge. I would recommend consulting Rick Allen if your son is serious about that option.

Should High School Recruits Consider a Gap Year Because of Overloaded College Rosters? - Informed Athlete

Good luck.

Sage advice well received. Thanks to all.

Regarding a few questions:

PWO has JV and V team; no transfers; not a big roster. most freshmen on JV. Told would be V SS (grain of salt); may pitch but tough to keep working as two way. Think def enticing as really wants to keep hitting. School is an OK fit. Not all boxes checked. And the religious part may be too much. Really just wants a place that will help him develop.

BUT pitching is where most of his coaches have told him is his path.  Pitched this week - Pro scout talked to HS coach - asked what he was doing next year; he likes his pitching, but needs velo. Top 86 FB.

I always thought go where the coach likes you, but good point that can change rapidly.

Objectives if gap year - def get velo up.  He has a training facility that he works on pitching, hitting and weights.  has separate speed coach. not cheap and will get j-o-b. Can get same at JUCO? as POW?  Grades are good 3.5 honors. Hasn't applied anywhere.  Purely baseball driven. Wants to stay in warm weather but would (probably) go anywhere. 

Good problems.

Let me help you with that one.  Never, nEVER, NEVER go as a walk-on to a school that has JV.  The coaching staff has to bring in so many players, different per school, to get their full salaries.  Son's friend had to bring in 45 players every year to get his full salary.  He finally walked away.  Said he could not lie to players and tell them they would have a chance to get better and move up.  He brought in 2 players that played less than 5 innings in HS.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.