Skip to main content

So my son is a strong lefty. But he throws kind of slow…. But effectively.

He’s 6’1 195lbs lefty.

2024, LHP, can throw a HS complete game on Ohio serious schools. Several pitches but off speed gets them 9/10.

He’s higher academic (3.9 unweighted,4.2 weighted)

where and what do we need to be doing for colleges? He’s on a travel national sumner team but he doesn’t light up summer radars. But…. HS and summer use him as the “old mule stalwart” that can pitch a full game even though he doesn’t hit “90” the get the outs and is reliable.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What's "kind of slow"? Does he "get them 9/10 times" for his travel team against the college committed hitters?

There's a lefty in my area that that throws slow, but is effective. Kids got a great ERA and lots of wins under his belt. All things considered it would seem like he's an automatic for playing at the next level. What outsiders and his own parents fail to realize is that this kid is pitched against all the weak hitting teams. He doesn’t standout amongst the players that have the skill/ability to play at the next level. Can this kid play at the next level?...sure, but his best shot would be reaching out to D3 or Juco programs.

His weight for height would suggest to me he has enough mass to be throwin' it in there. Has he been evaluated for why his speed is "kind of slow"?

Thanks for the replies.

He can hit 80-83 in a bullpen with no control. In games, his FB is usually mid to maybe upper 70’s. His off speed pitches are what he uses to get batters out. He definitely can get D1 batters out. Was very successful last summer at the WWBA and other tourneys.

His HS coach says he’s the type of pitcher that a recruiter would want to see in a game situation vs at a showcase. He has complete command of the mound, game flow, speed of the game. He’s cool and collected and doesn’t get ruffled up. He gets kids to hit pop ups or junk and trusts his defense.

This summer they are playing in several top tier tourneys.  As for D3, does he start contacting them now? Send videos? Besides reading this wonderful site we are completely new to this.

Welcome to the site!

Does he lift weights?  Train in any way?  That would be expected at any college level.  Keep in mind that at the college level, you have to BOTH be able to pitch ("has to be seen in games"), and to do so in a way that college batters can't hit (i.e. velo).

Recruiting for 24s will be happening this summer.  First thing you need to do is talk to your "national summer travel" coach.  Does he think your son can play in college?  Which level?  What kinds of connections does he have, or is he willing to make contact with coaches?  Make a recruiting plan with him.  You will need him to communicate what you have said (above) to college coaches.

If your summer coach thinks it's feasible, then yes, have your son (not you!) contact schools now with information, video links, give them the summer schedule, ask them where he can get in front of them.  D3 coaches often don't go to top-level tournaments, unless they're local.  Many do run camps in the summer.  With a pitcher, you'll have to plan for these  - don't let your son pitch a complete game on a Saturday in a tournament, then go to a camp on Monday.

There are a lot of D3 schools in your area, are those of interest?  If so, go to their camps.  If your son has a more national interest, sign up for one of the national showcases - Headfirst, Showball, etc. - whichever has schools of interest.  There are some in Chicago, too (PTW?).  If he's likely to get interest, it's more efficient than trying to go to a lot of long-distance individual camps, especially for a pitcher.  Those showcases do have pitchers pitch in games.

If he has good command he’s a potential D3 pitcher. At upper 70’s the best hitters (D1 players and prospects) would stand in the front of the box and dare him to try to throw a fastball by them while looking for the off speed stuff.

If he’s getting hitters out with upper 70’s stuff in high school I have to question the quality of the competition. My son played in a 6A program. He considered 80 slow pitching. He rarely saw it. It was mostly 85 to 90+.

Lefties usually get a little benefit of the doubt on lower velocity. But I’m not sure about down in the 70’s.

Wanted to clarify that when I said to consider D3 and Juco programs I wasn't implying that they were the same thing competition wise. But I'd look into both programs depending on his goals, what he's looking for in a school. D1/D2/D3/Juco/NAIA...you'll find there's no clear cut division between them.

I can relate with your son being someone that would be better seen in a game situation versus a showcase. My son's numbers are what's considered good for showcasing, but he's definitely one that stands out in games. My son is often overlooked because he doesn't "look" like a baller. I had to laugh when we were waiting in line at a camp. My son is 6'/180 and he looked extremely out of place waiting in line with so many others that were 6'3"/210# or larger. He thought he'd end up being the worst one there, but he was no where near being the worst.

I agree with @RJM. My son considers 80 slow pitching.

Ok, so this is all sounding like even D3 is not an option for him?

Summer coach and pitching coach both suggested that D3 would be a good fit esp with his Academics.

His summer coach is not well connected w D3s as the other committed teammates are at SEC, P5 etc schools. But he’s definitely willing to make a call.

He’s pretty open to which schools, wants a good education, he just doesn't know where to start.

If your son can knock the freckles off a gnat’s face (command) he might be able to pitch for a competitive D3 as a situational lefty. There was a kid at our high school in the upper 70’s. The program doesn’t cut kids who stick it out as long as they can make the freshman and JV team. Senior year they get a uniform.

Senior year the kid got about three at bats and three innings on the mound in blowout situations. He played Legion in the summer. Legion in our area is JV ball. The kid went on to become the ace at Cal Tech. When he wasn’t pitching he was in the outfield.

Becoming the ace at Cal Tech is comparable to becoming the top downhill skier from the Caribbean. But he played college ball in a quality D3 conference facing quality D3 teams. Now he’s a rocket scientist.

Your son should consider signing up for Head First showcases.
https://www.headfirsthonorroll...ball-showcase-camps/

Last edited by RJM
@Momball11 posted:

His weight for height would suggest to me he has enough mass to be throwin' it in there. Has he been evaluated for why his speed is "kind of slow"?

This is where I would start. At 6'1 195 size is not holding his velocity back ...So what is?

The effective "junk" would probably be even better with a fastball batters would have to worry about. If he's already training for velocity and it's just not there than you can only work with what you got.

@Muskie posted:

Ok, so this is all sounding like even D3 is not an option for him?

Summer coach and pitching coach both suggested that D3 would be a good fit esp with his Academics.

No-one here knows your son, so what we say may or may not be relevant.  If the summer coach says this, then yes, D3 should be an option.  These are D1 parents being discouraging!  There is a big range of baseball at D3.

Make a plan together with the summer coach.  If you're on a summer team aimed at D1, they may well not know much about D3, especially HA D3.  But, they can still contact D3 coaches about your son, and you need to know if they will do that, and get their input about fit.

@Muskie posted:

So my son is a strong lefty. But he throws kind of slow…. But effectively.

He’s 6’1 195lbs lefty.

2024, LHP, can throw a HS complete game on Ohio serious schools. Several pitches but off speed gets them 9/10.

He’s higher academic (3.9 unweighted,4.2 weighted)

where and what do we need to be doing for colleges? He’s on a travel national sumner team but he doesn’t light up summer radars. But…. HS and summer use him as the “old mule stalwart” that can pitch a full game even though he doesn’t hit “90” the get the outs and is reliable.

He absolutely has the stuff to play D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO baseball.  It's all about finding the right place.  I include D2 because at your son's size, there's a chance that a D2 school will look at him and project him to being able to contribute Soph/Junior year of school.  Have your son send video and his player resume to every D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO school in your state or wherever he's looking to go to school.  Cast the net wide.

So my son is still on a national team even though I guess people on this site seem to think it’s  crazy. He’s throwing 70s to 80s and has had several complete games w PG and at ABC in Indy. .68 ERA over the summer.

As said above “he dares the D1 hitters” and they swing and miss.

lots of looks by higher academics and lower D1s (not interested in). A few mid D1s but I think we may go with high academics.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.