Skip to main content

Son was just called my MLB scout to set up in house visit. This would be the 1st one. 

Son is 6'3" 180lbs. 17 year old 2015 RHP. He touched 90mph back in May. PG events recorded 89.

He's committed to a mid Major D1. Congrats to the families that have gone through this process. What questions did the scout ask? What questions should my son ask?

Thanks

Last edited by shane52
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What pitches do you throw?

What's your best pitch?  worst?

Do you know how the draft works? Slots? Scout will explain if you don't.

Do you understand the MLB Scholarship Program?

Why did you choose the college that you chose?

Who else was recruiting you?

Go over the questions with you son. Maybe do a mock interview.  Let him answer most/all the questions unless they are directly toward the parents.

Last edited by RedFishFool
The visits my son has had have been VERY casual. Most of the info Red Fish talked about is spot on.  No talk about money or signability. The all said to enjoy the spring and keep working hard. Continue to do what got you to this point. When May rolls around is when the talks will become more serious. Each of them said they typically will come see the player early and late. They also made it a point to tell us they would say hello but other than that would leave us alone at the field. The visits have been very informative but also very informal.

Most of our meetings last 45-75 minutes. The shortest one was 35 minutes. We had already sent the questionnaire in several weeks earlier. Some ask your son to complete a personality quiz and those take a little longer. "very casual" is correct but don't get me wrong, the scouts are doing more than putting a name with a face. If you say your son is 6'0", 185, they are, at least subconsciously, making sure that he's not 5'9", 155. They are probably reading body language of you and your son. Although they do not want your signing # until May, they are making a preliminary decision as to whether he is someone that they ought to allocate more time to watch in the Spring. Take notes on each visit. You would be amazed that after a couple of weeks, you forget little tidbits, etc of what the scout may have told you.

Don't get stressed about it at all. Let your son answer the door, look him in the eye and grip his hand with a firm handshake.

As has been mentioned on this site many times, enjoy. After a couple of visits, you could almost ask the questions for the scouts. After the scout leaves, spend a couple of minutes talking amongst yourselves about questions that could have been answered a little differently by you and your son. 

Last edited by RedFishFool

One of my favs..."Do you like to pitch inside?" others we were asked:

Do you have a serious girlfriend?

Would leaving home and being away be something you could handle?

Whats your #1 pitch, #2 and which pitch do you need the most work on?

What is the #1 thing you could improve concerning your pitching?

How long have you been pitching?

Originally Posted by younggun:
The visits my son has had have been VERY casual. Most of the info Red Fish talked about is spot on.  No talk about money or signability. The all said to enjoy the spring and keep working hard. Continue to do what got you to this point. When May rolls around is when the talks will become more serious. Each of them said they typically will come see the player early and late. They also made it a point to tell us they would say hello but other than that would leave us alone at the field. The visits have been very informative but also very informal.

Spot on.  Very casual.  Regarding the amount of time the interview might take Redfish mentioned?  One was here for two hours.  Had dinner and just great conversation. They also said to try and organize your time as far as calls go.  It will heat up in the Spring.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.