Skip to main content

Commissioner Robert Manfred has mentioned several times that the international draft is a topic that must be handled right away. Either one big international draft, or a second draft shortly after the first year player's draft. Supposedly this will continue to make things more fair for the small market teams, so that the Puig's, and the Moncada's don't go to the highest bidder. While our boy's are required to have a birth certificate and a GED, these undocumented so called 16-19 year olds can go to the team with the deepest pockets. (A Derrick Jeter type highschooler here in Arizona, is limited to how much he can sign for. But if he is from Italy, or Cuba he can fetch a 40-50 million contract) I was wondering who thinks 2 drafts would be more interesting than 1 large international draft. This could start as soon as 2017 if the owners get their way.

Last edited by The Doctor
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by The Doctor:

Commissioner Robert Manfred has mentioned several times that the international draft is a topic that must be handled right away. Either one big international draft, or a second draft shortly after the first year player's draft. Supposedly this will continue to make things more fair for the small market teams, so that the Puig's, and the Moncada's don't go to the highest bidder. While our boy's are required to have a birth certificate and a GED, these undocumented so called 16-19 year olds can go to the team with the deepest pockets. (A Derrick Jeter type highschooler here in Arizona, is limited to how much he can sign for. But if he is from Italy, or Cuba he can fetch a 40-50 million contract) I was wondering who thinks 2 drafts would be more interesting than 1 large international draft. This could start as soon as the 2017 if the owners get their way.

Funny how that works. Or maybe not funny.

Even if they change the international draft, they will still pay 16 year olds a lot of money.

The Cubans or Japanese have nothing to do with the draft, they come here as free agents and some have been playing the game for years. They will always go to the highest bidders, as do all high priced free agents. These are not 16 year olds.

Last edited by TPM

I agree that they need to do something about these huge signing bonuses for international players, while American kids have a slot bonus. No problem with the international kids playing over here, but as in the Moncada kid, he hit .273 and was signed for 31.5 mil. If MLB is gonna give this kind of money , they should spread it out to the local kids as well.

Originally Posted by Tom Dorminy:

I agree that they need to do something about these huge signing bonuses for international players, while American kids have a slot bonus. No problem with the international kids playing over here, but as in the Moncada kid, he hit .273 and was signed for 31.5 mil. If MLB is gonna give this kind of money , they should spread it out to the local kids as well.

It use to be  America's Pastime!

Originally Posted by The Doctor:
Originally Posted by Tom Dorminy:

It use to be  America's Pastime!

Its really hard to understand why our kids will get less chances or money than international players.  I know that I did at one time, and resented it just like so many do.

I don't get the whole draft for 16 years old, but do remember these players have been playing baseball, everyday, for many years. And they cannot come here until they are 18?

Many are much better bb players than many american born players.   I think many don't make it not due to lack of skills or talent but rather lack of support, missing families, etc.  

And they don't have other options like our boys do, and in reality much hungrier as well.

FWIW, MLB budgets their money accordingly, two separate funds for international and national draft.  But Moncada was not drafted, he was a free agent who did play internationally. His numbers were .375/.483/.542 in 29 plate appearances and projected as a .280 hitter and 20-25 HR per season. He is a switch hitter with top bat speed, and a middle infielder, at 19. Imagine what he will be like at 25,26. This is what they pay for, can you name any other american player at 19 who is a middle infielder that projects that way?

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.