Skip to main content

Watching the Phillies Cardinals game and one of the announcers had one of his Game Gloves with him. He had played 15 professional seasons including minor leagues and stated that he had only used 5 gloves over that time!

Now he was an outfielder, and my son is an infielder that plays in the dirt, but my guy goes through a Pro Preferred every season!

How long do gloves last your sons, or even you?!

The Journey Continues!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Likewise, my son an infielder and tends to goes through Pro Preferred and the like once a year.  

Although, these high quality cloves he hangs up after a year could be reconditioned and probably last another year (IMHO).  But, for some reason, my son would rather get a new glove and take some time to break it in.

My son has used Akadema since he was 9 or 10.  He normally gets at least 2 HS seasons....and a summer (50 games) out of one...and could go longer, but he always seems to talk me into letting him get a new one sooner than he really needs.  I guess I don't mind....I'd rather spend money on a new mitt than have him blowing $60 on new video games....lol

Oldest has two full seasons on his heart of the hide and will likely get another season or two out of it.  He never lays it flat and cleans/conditions it about once a week.  Youngest has two seasons on his "high quality" (not pro preferred) glove and MAY get one more season out of it.  Both of my boys are infielders and their gloves have regular use from Feb until Sept each year. 

Son begged for a Rawlings Primo. Bought it for his birthday in May, 2013 when he turned 16. He played 3B some at the time but is strictly a PO now. Still going strong with it. I can't remember what it is but he even has a nickname for it.

When he goes off to college next Fall, I guess he may be required to use the "college issued brand", not sure how that works.

I read an article several years back about how pros have their gloves "reconditioned" by the manufacturer (probably only 2-3 folks who have been working leather for 20+ years) - what this meant was that about 25-50% of the material was replaced and all new material was cut to exacting standards using their personal templates.  I think it also spoke about individuals in the organization that were responsible for breaking in the glove.  This may be limited to the top tier folks, but I assume the announcer must have had some access to this type of service (given he was a 15 year veteran).

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

Son begged for a Rawlings Primo. Bought it for his birthday in May, 2013 when he turned 16. He played 3B some at the time but is strictly a PO now. Still going strong with it. I can't remember what it is but he even has a nickname for it.

When he goes off to college next Fall, I guess he may be required to use the "college issued brand", not sure how that works.

My son isn't looking forward to changing to a new brand after 8 years....hopefully it doesn't give him too much trouble in the fall!!   He did change to the college's  "brand" of bat.   He's hitting .521 with 4 HR's with it....so no complaints...lol

My son is a sophomore in HS.  Has used 2 gloves since he was seven.  For 5 years he used a Nike glove he found in the park.  After that he switched to MY Wilson A2k.

3 days before the 2015 season started he found out that he was to be the starting 1st baseman.  Bought him a used Rawlings Pro Preferred mitt at Play It Again Sports.

Here is my 2cents

My son plays about 120 -140 games a year and gets about 2 years max out of a glove before it seems like its time to replace.  He is an OF.  On the other hand as a fun note I had a Rawlings 12 inch from my teen years that was about 25 years old.  I sent it out to be reconditioned (ie new palm padding leather conditioning, re-lace) and gave it to my lefty 10 year old daughter to use for softball and it works great and she absolutely loves it and cherishes it since it was mine.

I would say as a general rule of thumb

IF 1 year or a little more.

OF 2 years or a little more

and it all depends on the quality of the glove and leather used, and how well you care for it. Don't let your IF put it in his bag and smash it up.  You will see most upper level guys hang theirs on the outside of their bag (using a carabineer or whatever) to ensure they maintain a good shape.   

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

My son has used Akadema since he was 9 or 10.  He normally gets at least 2 HS seasons....and a summer (50 games) out of one...and could go longer, but he always seems to talk me into letting him get a new one sooner than he really needs.  I guess I don't mind....I'd rather spend money on a new mitt than have him blowing $60 on new video games....lol

I could never get my son to go with anything like a $60 glove. . . .though I often tried to get him to do so.  I would limit how much I was willing to spend on him for a new glove, but then he'd take the difference an pay from his saving or Christmas cash to get his very expensive top of the line gloves he insisted on.  I wasn't going to try and control how much he spent of his own money on gloves or anything else and over time he's learned to be more prudent with his money.  I had hoped his expensive gloves would last much more than a year, and they can and do. . .but he insists on a fresh glove to start a season.   Well, still buys the most expensive gloves, but now he manages to find ways to get deep discounts.  

PS:  . . . same thing with bats.  ;-)  

Last edited by Truman

Can you break in a glove twice?  Have looked a good bit at ebay and seen some intresting gloves - very low mileage that still appear to have significant life.  This is especially true with some 1B gloves (thought they would play 1B but now PO).  Realizing that having a poorly fitting glove is a bad thing, I have not pulled the trigger on any of these.  Anyone have any success going this route?

Originally Posted by Truman:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

I could never get my son to go with anything like a $60 glove. . . .though I often tried to get him to do so.  I would limit how much I was willing to spend on him for a new glove, but then he'd take the difference an pay from his saving or Christmas cash to get his very expensive top of the line gloves he insisted on.  I wasn't going to try and control how much he spent of his own money on gloves or anything else and over time he's learned to be more prudent with his money.  I had hoped his expensive gloves would last much more than a year, and they can and do. . .but he insists on a fresh glove to start a season.   Well, still buys the most expensive gloves, but now he manages to find ways to get deep discounts.  

PS:  . . . same thing with bats.  ;-)  

Lol....no, unfortunately he isn't using a $60 glove....but since I'm an Akadema dealer, I normally can get him a pretty good deal.  My $60 comment was in reference to video games....and that's EACH game....lol.   Fortunately he's good with 1 or 2 games/year at Christmas....and doesn't feel the need to spend hours and $$$ on more games.

Son used one pitchers glove and one first baseman's mitt 8th grade until he got to college. Each had one complete and several partial re-lacings. He borrowed my outfielder's glove, which is older than he is, for the occasional times he played outfield in high school.

His college bought him a new pitchers glove freshman year. It's in good shape, and he's still using it as a redshirt junior after 100+ college innings and a similar number of collegiate summer league innings.

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

Ryno got a Primo for his pitching glove as a Freshman, and he is still using it now.

Middle son played D1 so he got a new glove every year and was PO and passed the old ones down to little brother.  Youngest has never got a new glove since he was 10 but has brothers 3 used ones.  Same brother bought him a custom made glove by a friend that had the orange T on it after he committed to UT.  Played outfield with it and it has held up for 3 years.  Son takes exquisite better care of his gloves than anything else in life.  Never throws them, always sets it down where it stays open, never lets anyone else put it on, and never puts it in a bat bag.  When he flew for games, it always rode in his lap.  Names everyone a girl's name.  Has named the last two after friends that were killed, one in horse riding incident and another in car wreck.  Got a new glove before Christmas by college. 

I have a friend that re-conditions gloves for about $30-50 according to work needed.  They come out looking brand new and keep the feel that players are used to.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.