Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

Originally Posted by The Doctor:

Remember just a few short years ago when all the folks were saying Harper wasn't ready and he would burn out......hmmmmm.

I think the word "punk" was used in more than one post concerning B. Harper. lol

Still kinda think he is - but he is one heck of a ball player. What he is doing is unprecedented.

Do you mean people were saying that he wasn't ready to play in the Bigs, or wasn't ready to be a #1 pick super star?

And I don't think anyone was saying he was going to burn out; people questioned whether or not he would flame out or burn up, because he plays so hard. He posted this on twitter after running face-first into an outfield wall in Dodger Stadium and getting 11 stitches in his chin 2 years ago.

https://twitter.com/Bharper340...s/334346063009943552

He's only 22 years old, so I guess the jury is still out on that one.

MidAtlanticDad,

Interesting you provided that link.  "I'll keep playing this game hard even if it kills me.  I'll never stop!"

With today's world of texts, tweets, camera phones and the like, I wonder if when he is 26 and his body has taken a beating and he needs to be more selective about when to sacrifice his body, he will feel more pressure to keep going all out because of such quotes being preserved and redistributed.

I loved the way Grady Sizemore played and can't help but think that Harper and Trout are destined to similar physical fates.

Originally Posted by Three Bagger:

bballman,

Actually this is not unprecedented. It is tremendous but even Shawn Green hit 7 Hrs in three games and multiple players have hit 6 in three games.

Not at his age...  He is on pace to hit 100 HRs before his 23rd birthday as well. Don't think that's ever been done before. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Bryce Harper fan, but you have to respect his talent.

Harper is a stud, a freak of nature and i think he is going to get better. I also think he is a punk and personally i don't like him at all.

Trout in my opinion is a no brainer over Harper in just about any phase of the game...how Trout acts and carries himself, at least as far as i have seen, is impressive for a young man. Harper could certainly learn a few things from him.

During the Braves' telecast a few days ago, the announcers noted a story from when Harper was 7 years old and playing in a 10U division. Pitcher threw a fastball that he turned on and hit foul well beyond the fence. From that point, all he saw was curves. Harper noted that he needed to listen to what his Dad had been telling him and learn to hit to left field. So, at age 7 he started learning to hit the breaking ball and hit to all fields.

Without even considering how hard he plays, I wonder if his body will hold up from his violent swinging motion.

Originally Posted by bballman:

bballman,

Actually this is not unprecedented. It is tremendous but even Shawn Green hit 7 Hrs in three games and multiple players have hit 6 in three games.

Not at his age...  He is on pace to hit 100 HRs before his 23rd birthday as well. Don't think that's ever been done before. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Bryce Harper fan, but you have to respect his talent.

Tony Conigliaro was 22 when he hit his 100th homer. Mike Trout did it this year at 23.

I have no idea what Harper's parents are like. But how many kids wouldn't be arrogant if they've been told they're baseball's version of the second coming since age twelve? It's a lot for a kid to deal with. Harper has been growing up in the majors under the bright lights of scrutiny. Most players his age are still in the minors. He's in his fourth season in the majors.

Originally Posted by RJM:

bballman,

Tony Conigliaro was 22 when he hit his 100th homer. Mike Trout did it this year at 23.

OK, maybe not unprecedented, but pretty unusual for his age... 

Originally Posted by RJM:

bballman,

Harper has 67 career homers currently. He needs to hit 33 more this year to hit 100 before his 23rd birthday. Maybe he makes it, maybe not. If he makes it this year at age 22, I think only Conigliaro has done it before. If he makes it at age 23, a few great players have also done that. Besides Trout, there is ARod (perhaps a chemically enhanced 23 . . .), Mickey Mantle (and he won the Triple Crown when he was 24) and Ken Griffey Jr.

To say it's not unprecedented is no knock on Harper -- he's on a hall of fame track if he stays healthy.

Consider that PG wrote this about himin its comments in the summer after his freshman year:

"Bryce Harper is a 2011 C/P/SS with a 6'3'', 195 lb. frame from Las Vegas, NV who attends Las Vegas high school.  Then comes this one from Las Vegas.  We did a story a while back about young Bryce Harper.  It's all true!  He is the #1 prospect in the 2011 class and that's not likely to change.  Plus arm, no plus plus arm!  Quickness and agility.  Only a 2011 but probably the best high school hitting prospect in the country right now.  Extreme power.  Unlimited ceiling!  Not sure there has been anyone to compare him to at the same age."

Lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.