Skip to main content

I'm an amateur player who has had a late start (20 years old now 30). I started to play just a little for fun and did not put much work into it because I did mostly track and field ( Won some local competitions) but the last years I really got obsessed with batspeed. I was able to raise my batspeed from mid 60s to about 82-83 and now I got really motivated hoping to break 90 in spring.

I put some research into it and started my own blog about it. I hope I can post it here it is not selling anything or advertising and just a hobby of mine. If it is against the board rules just note me and I take it down.

Here is the program. I will do it the next 4 weeks and hope that you or your kids join in and report the results. I expect at least 5 mph of batspeed or exit speed gain. Make sure that the kids are strong kids with solid swings and warm up really well as plyometrics can be really tough on the body. I don't suggest starting that before at least age 12-13, preferably older.

is anyone interested in taking part in that experiment and train with me? I will do it and report regularly.

This is an easy program for starters. Do it 3 times a week. Note that it only should be done by players with stable mechanics, I would not start before 12-13 years old. Before that work on mechanics and other stuff.

Here is the program. Do it 3 times a week on non conscutive days:

1.extensive warmup

This is extremely important because otherwise you can get injured. Especially make sure to warm up obliques and back, I once strained my oblique doing overload/underload not warming up properly and missed half a season. So REALLY warm up.

2. The tire drill

http://batspeedfitness.com/?p=40

Do 3 sets of 10 swings at full force. Two sets of the strong side and one of the weak side to balance it out.

3. Back step turn drill

3 sets of 6 swings as hard as you can.

http://batspeedfitness.com/?p=59

4. Overload/underload training

2 rounds of 5 swings each with the light, regular and heavy bat ( 30 swings overall)

http://batspeedfitness.com/?p=31

5. Jumps for the legs

a. 2 sets of 8 vertical jumps

b. 2 sets of 10 skaters jumps.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son and one of his teammates tried the tire drill about a hour ago. Unfortunately, my son decided to do it in his bedroom and  now we're missing a 4-foot wide chunk of drywall.  His teammate did the drill in the family basement but was not prepared for the rebound and took a Michelin to the nose.

Neither were able to get any MPH readings.

mds1 posted:

My son and one of his teammates tried the tire drill about a hour ago. Unfortunately, my son decided to do it in his bedroom and  now we're missing a 4-foot wide chunk of drywall.  His teammate did the drill in the family basement but was not prepared for the rebound and took a Michelin to the nose.

Neither were able to get any MPH readings.

No kidding? I should have used a disclaimer. You need a really solid wall or alternatively a tree. Do it outside.

Never had a problem with a player hit by a rebound ( make sure you hit the wall square at chest height and not on edge) but I had problems with the wrists. To avoid that do not grip the tire with the thumb and hand but just hook it with the index to pinky fingers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.