Skip to main content

CaCO3Girl posted:

Good luck JoeMKTG and all the HSBBW'ers who have a personal interest in this Draft!  I really hope it turns out the way you all want it to! Try and get away from all electronic devices if you can!  What will be will be.

Thanks, but we need the phones on as there is much discussion taking place. I wish I could turn the damn thing off.

joemktg posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Good luck JoeMKTG and all the HSBBW'ers who have a personal interest in this Draft!  I really hope it turns out the way you all want it to! Try and get away from all electronic devices if you can!  What will be will be.

Thanks, but we need the phones on as there is much discussion taking place. I wish I could turn the damn thing off.

LOL, It's a great problem to have!  Really truly, good luck!

old_school posted:

the one thing I am fairly sure of is that whoever the Phillies draft will be the wrong guy....

Lol. That is way too funny. As a white sox fan I feel the exact same way!  Unless of course they pick one of our HSBBW guys or our Wisconsin guys!  Good luck for you guys out there for whom tonight is of personal interest. I can't imagine the pride and joy - and nerves you are feeling today!  God Bless and good luck!

Last edited by 2020dad
TPM posted:
redbird5 posted:
TPM posted:

So are you expecting your son to be an early draft pick?

Yes, his son is one of the top 2016 hitters in the class.  He is ranked very highly and has a chance to hear his name called tonight.

Do you have a group up at Clemson this weekend?

We do but it isn't my team.  I will be at Va Tech.

The Doctor posted:

What if Groome was not the first HS lefty selected this year? what a surprise that would be.

Joey Wentz has ERA 0.00 95 Ks in 45 innings with only 10 walks. what a rise for a kid at the right time.

Well it looks like Groome will not be the first HS lefty selected. Braxton Garrett took the honor as Groome slipped. Very very interesting draft this year.

don't understand the braves. their farm System is very weak in bats and they draft 3 HS pitchers and at 3 not even the Consensus best or second best HS pitcher. reports on anderson don't read exciting at all. 

also those guys won't really contribute before 2020 so the rebuild will take many more years.

with the new park I thought they would be aggressive into 2018 at latest.

"Manage" might be a better term than "trick".  The team picking #1 may not really need to #1 player on the board so forcing them into a fixed bonus would seem overly strict.  I do wonder who came up with the minimum 40% offer so as to get compensatory pick if not signed - not sure why this isn't 60% or greater.  Knowing Boston took Groome, I was interested in who they took in round 2 - you can see that they reached down and according to reports picked a below slot kid so they could he fund Groome - I guess the thinking is that they will need to offer above the $3.2 million slot value, but I'm guessing they might not be able to go too far over $4 million unless they lowball picks 3-10.

I think there has to be some flexibility built into the process or the team picking #1 needs to be able to "sell" that position to another team that wants to shell out $9 million for some guy.  Speaking of bonuses, I'm taking bets on the highest bonus this year.  I'll start off with an over/under at $6.5 million and I'll take the under.

joemktg posted:

Once all the bonus information is released, go ahead and reorder the draft by bonus $$. That will tell you everything you need to know. The draft is not about talent, but the talent/value ratio.

but overslotting in later rounds can also go wrong if another Team takes that Player. why not just make it a hard Slot and if you don't think that Player is worth that much Money sign another guy?

I'd like to see the player deserving of the $9 million for first pick.  Or for that matter, 7.8 million for #2 or $6.5 million for #3.  So far, me and BACDORSLIDER have taken the under $6.5 million for any pick.  If each of the top 3 get $5 million, then those three teams will be $8 million below slot  I think the slot values are more about funding a bucket of money as opposed to strict bonus recommendations.  For backing into the #1 pick, the Phillies get $9 million added to their bucket and no one ever expected them to pay $9 million to their #1 pick.  It helps to get the #1 pick, but it also helps fill up the bucket so you can make some additional moves throughout the draft.  Then, there are the signability issues later in the draft.  If some high school kids says he wants $2 million, but folks really think he might sing for $1 million, then where do you pick this guy?  You stash away a little slot money and when you get to 7th round (slot vlaues go below $200k) you draft and offer the $1 million.  If he doesn't sign, then you loose out on <$200K for bonuses but you avoid losing out on $1 million if you tried to grab him in the 2nd round and failed.  With a fixed value, the signability kids would quickly get passes over.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.