Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Trying to slow it down so that I can really tell.   But at first blush, it looks to my admittedly non expert eyes like he doesn't let the ball travel very deep at all.   Seems like he striking it  past the point where he could deliver maximum force to the ball.   The force lines from his  hips and hands and bat converge nicely to  a point, but they converge to that point before the ball reaches that point.  So it looks like he ends up striking the ball sort of at the start of what should be his  follow through motion, which happens past the point of maximum force convergence,   thus robbing himself of some power. 

LibertyBB posted:

Well I deleted that video by mistake.  

http://www.hudl.com/v/RPuvm

ha ha.  Would be nice to be able to watch it both in slow-mo and at regular speed, but I think those with more trained eyes can easily ee what's up at full speed.    Me, to really get at what was going on with my son's swing, (and my player's swing when I was still coaching,  I used to tape and watch in slow-mo and regular mo.   I found that really helped  me personally.    But my son's hitting coach could see it all at regular speed.   So it's probably  no big deal.  there are a lot of guys here who know a lot about hitting,  who can probably see what they need to see without having to slow it down. 

GolfMan25,

Not necessarily fix but how can we clean his swing up.  Your pointing out one issue he had with rolling back on his right heel during his load.  We mostly corrected it with a better stance and weight distribution.  Looks like he could focus on that area again.

Ironhorse,

I think your approach question is why I posted this.  He's had one approach....hit the ball hard.  With good hand/eye coordination and very quick hands he relies more on his upper body to make contact.  I see it in his swing and we talk about it but I'm dad.

LibertyBB posted:

Ironhorse,

I think your approach question is why I posted this.  He's had one approach....hit the ball hard.  With good hand/eye coordination and very quick hands he relies more on his upper body to make contact.  I see it in his swing and we talk about it but I'm dad.

I think the swing is decent and I can see the bat speed.  But really in those clips he isn't letting the ball get to him.   Letting it get deep is one key to hitting the ball hard.   And you can see that he isn't contacting the ball at the point where maximum force has been generated, but slightly after that point. 

Last edited by SluggerDad
LibertyBB posted:

Ironhorse,

Simply hitting the ball hard really isn't an approach. That's every hitters goal. My point was really to change the focus. Some kids spend to much time learning to swing and never learn to hit. While there's minutiae in his swing that could be refined, talk to him more about how to hit. That swing is solid enough to become a very good high school hitter. If he wants to be better than that than I definitely wouldn't advise message board coaching.

I would like to see it at a higher Frame rate.

Some issues I see( only watched the first swing):

1) hip slide: he slides his hips a lot after the foot Comes down, this locks out his front hip and hurts Rotation. that also causes his hips to stall and the Hands (who are back well and in a good Position initially) get ahead of the hips early. the front hip should not slide Forward but rotate left and even slightly back at foot plant.

2)maybe a slight swing plane issue, I would like to see the front arm work up more and have his Extension Position after contact up at shoulder Level instead of pointing down

He also could sit into his legs a Little more and get a more stable back leg in his load but at this Frame rate I can't really tell much more.

Last edited by Dominik85

Solid athletic swing...  would advise spending time to hunt down a reputable and accessible hitting coach that can refine his swing where needed.  Make sure the hitting coach incorporates "approach at the plate" while he tweaks the swing.  High school ball almost here, you don't want to be doing serious mechanical changes, just some tweaking...he has to be ready to perform soon and not caught up on mechanics.

Similar to what IronHorse said, avoid the message board coaching.  You'll likely get too many inputs which could work against your son's development.  A lot of these will be high quality, but just too many.

What area do you live in?  You'll likely get a few good referrals from this board.

Cheers...

(edited a typo..)

Last edited by Gov
Gov posted:

Solid athletic swing...  would advise spending time to hunt down a reputable and accessible hitting coach that can refine his swing where needed.  Make sure the hitting coach incorporates "approach at the plate" while he tweaks the swing.  High school ball almost here, you don't want to be doing serious mechanical changes, just some tweaking...he has to be ready to perform soon and not caught up on mechanics.

Similar to what IronHorse said, avoid the message board coaching.  You'll likely get too many inputs which could work against your son's development.  A lot of these will be high quality, but just too many.

What area do you live in?  You'll likely get a few good referrals from this board.

Cheers...

(edited a typo..)

bolded is spot on, example here is one poster comments was he is hitting the pitch to early and losing power, while that may be the case it is not certain and the camera angle doesn't show where the pitch was...it may have been early or may have been late depending on location.

Ironhorse,

I know what you mean with kids who have perfect form but can't make solid contact.  He falls into the "I just hit it type" and couldn't tell you how he does it.   He's always hit the ball extremely hard with less focus on swing mechanic's other than us working on it together.  Which has gotten us this far but it might be time to take him in for lesson's with his summer coach who is also a hitting instructor.

Dominik85,

Thanks.  I'll show him the video.

Gov,

I have know desire to make any real changes other than have him focus on xxxx in practice.  Trying to keep them consistent with what good muscle memory they have is hard enough. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.