Skip to main content

Gov posted:
JCG posted:
proudhesmine posted:

Worst mistake he/we ever made 

Huh?

Going to Indiana, or posting his name here?

Given his son's name isn't on the roster at this point (only showing 22 right now) I'd guess going there. 

I'm interested myself. IU is about an hour from us and at one point we were "high on our list". So much so they asked a local TT to pick him up. Ironically him and the TT coach didn't see eye to eye to say the least. Guy actually told others later how badly he treated him. I'm sure he sabotaged any chance the kid had there.

A couple of kids off his team and some local players we know are there. Looking like they may not be on the roster. Was a lot of talk about the the amount of offers they made and that there were going to be some disappointed kids at some point.

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Gov posted:
JCG posted:
proudhesmine posted:

Huh?

Given his son's name isn't on the roster at this point (only showing 22 right now) I'd guess going there. 

I'm interested myself. IU is about an hour from us and at one point we were "high on our list". So much so they asked a local TT to pick him up. Ironically him and the TT coach didn't see eye to eye to say the least. Guy actually told others later how badly he treated him. I'm sure he sabotaged any chance the kid had there.

A couple of kids off his team and some local players we know are there. Looking like they may not be on the roster. Was a lot of talk about the the amount of offers they made and that there were going to be some disappointed kids at some point.

FWIW, I took a glance... IU, as do many others this time of year, only has returners listed on the roster at this time.  The only frosh is s transfer.  So no new incoming players would be listed yet.

cabbagedad posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Gov posted:
JCG posted:
proudhesmine posted:

Huh?

FWIW, I took a glance... IU, as do many others this time of year, only has returners listed on the roster at this time.  The only frosh is s transfer.  So no new incoming players would be listed yet.

His kid is a 2016. That said maybe we should stop speculating. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:
cabbagedad posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Gov posted:
JCG posted:
proudhesmine posted:

Huh?

His kid is a 2016. That said maybe we should stop speculating. 

Agree, Somebaseballdad.  I put that there as FYI for you being interested in the kids you know, not for the question about Proud's son.

cabbagedad posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Gov posted:
JCG posted:
proudhesmine posted:

Huh?

Purdue is doing the same thing.  Ryno won't be listed on the roster until sometime in January.

cabbagedad posted:

Agree, Somebaseballdad.  I put that there as FYI for you being interested in the kids you know, not for the question about Proud's son.

Understood. I knew they weren't going to enter the season with a 22 man roster and were still working it out. 

I shouldn't have posted anything/didn't mean to hijack the thread. It just struck a little close to home. While he is 10 hrs away instead of 1 I feel he's in a better situation. Just looking for a little validation I guess.

definitely on the downhill side of baseball now. Somewhat sad, but we do love to fish together.

Eric played 4 years of College Ball, finishing up at University of Tampa and was drafted in the 24th round by the White Sox. He had a great Rookie Year hitting .356 and earning Post Season All-Star Honors and Team MVP. Spring training the following year he received an injury that he was not able to recover from quickly enough and was released after his second season.

He then played in the CanAm league for three seasons winning a Championship for Trois Rivieres. In the winter he played in Australia.  The following year he was a Manage/Coach/Player for the Grasshoppers outside of Vienna Austria. We were able to see him there and catch a few games. It was a wonderful trip for his mom and I and we were able to catch one game against the defending league champions where he struck out 18 and hit a 3 run HR to get the win. That was very memorable and one of the last games I have seen him play.  While in Austria he was also asked to coach a 16u team for an International Tournament where he faced Russia, France and Germany.

He is back in Australia where he played last season, and this year he was offered to play on the Perth Heat. He is unsure if he will accept the position, they want him to Pitch and Hit as well as Field.

He has been asked to take an 18U Team to Melbourne to play in a Tournament in January and was also asked if he wanted to take a team to Japan, but was unable to do so.

The time is winding down. I have great disappointment with how he was treated by the White Sox, and I can barely watch a game on TV. Actually I cant watch a game on TV yet. Still healing. But there is no doubt that Baseball has taken my son far and he has had a ride denied most.

So, Do Enjoy The Ride. It is a wonderful time! But for most of us it will come to a screeching halt long before we want to get off.

Last edited by floridafan
floridafan posted:

definitely on the downhill side of baseball now. Somewhat sad, but we do love to fish together.

Eric played 4 years of College Ball, finishing up at University of Tampa and was drafted in the 24th round by the White Sox. He had a great Rookie Year hitting .356 and earning Post Season All-Star Honors and Team MVP. Spring training the following year he received an injury that he was not able to recover from quickly enough and was released after his second season.

He then played in the CanAm league for three seasons winning a Championship for Trois Rivieres. In the winter he played in Australia.  The following year he was a Manage/Coach/Player for the Grasshoppers outside of Vienna Austria. We were able to see him there and catch a few games. It was a wonderful trip for his mom and I and we were able to catch one game against the defending league champions where he struck out 18 and hit a 3 run HR to get the win. That was very memorable and one of the last games I have seen him play.  While in Austria he was also asked to coach a 16u team for an International Tournament where he faced Russia, France and Germany.

He is back in Australia where he played last season, and this year he was offered to play on the Perth Heat. He is unsure if he will accept the position, they want him to Pitch and Hit as well as Field.

He has been asked to take an 18U Team to Melbourne to play in a Tournament in January and was also asked if he wanted to take a team to Japan, but was unable to do so.

The time is winding down. I have great disappointment with how he was treated by the White Sox, and I can barely watch a game on TV. Actually I cant watch a game on TV yet. Still healing. But there is no doubt that Baseball has taken my son far and he has had a ride denied most.

So, Do Enjoy The Ride. It is a wonderful time! But for most of us it will come to a screeching halt long before we want to get off.

FF,

Sometimes a post is so encompassing, that it requires no response; no further questions or discussion.  And the number of likes you’ve received in past 24-hours w no written replies I think demonstrates this.  

It sounds like your son’s baseball journey was (and still is)  in many ways like all baseball journeys; full of joy and pain, celebration and disappointment,   gratitude and bitterness.   Aside from the high levels of play Eric has reached (MiLB), and the exciting destinations the game is still taking him to (Quebec, Austria, Australia), his baseball journey is actually quite easy to identify with.  And I think that’s why so many have “liked” your post but have not written a response.   Your post about Eric stands alone by itself, and has clearly resonated with many.

I applaud Eric for making his baseball journey a true adventure, and although you state he's on the "downhill side now," you still don't know what's around the next corner.  Best of luck to him and you and your wife.  Great Ride for sure!

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach
CTbballDad posted:

With all the recent discussions about early commits, how binding they are until NLI/Admissions, I think I'll zip my lips until it's all official this fall.  

good move, I have already decided I will keep mine quiet until he is done college...with all the egos in college baseball it seems like the proper thing to do.

old_school posted:
CTbballDad posted:

With all the recent discussions about early commits, how binding they are until NLI/Admissions, I think I'll zip my lips until it's all official this fall.  

good move, I have already decided I will keep mine quiet until he is done college...with all the egos in college baseball it seems like the proper thing to do.

Old school....nice!

IMG_1834OK, this thread needs reviving...  when it was first started, Cabbage was a nine y.o. Little League kid.  He has since completed a five year college playing career (1 RS yr) and is into his third year of coaching college ball.  We just spent a great holiday weekend with another HSBBW member (Picked Off) and his wife who have become some of our favorite friends.  Our sons were college teammates and roommates.  We came to find out that, many years earlier, they had attended the same PG event ( a tip of the cap to the OP, PGStaff).

The baseball world is a small and special one, as is HSBBW.  Keep it going... please identify your son!

Image result for alex kotheimer

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1834
Last edited by cabbagedad

I'll play, although i think i did it a while back. I always enjoy seeing pics of the kids/men and family etc.

Great pic Cabbage...i too have met a few HSBBWers along the journey. Good people.

Ryley Gilliam

RHP in the Mets Organization

I'm not sure where he'll start...AAA maybe, since he ended there last season?  Hoping for big league S/T invite this spring. Pic below is from AFL this past fall.ryley AFL.

One more from last week at the gun range with my daughter & Ryley.IMG_1239

Attachments

Images (2)
  • ryley AFL
  • IMG_1239
Shoveit4Ks posted:

I'll play, although i think i did it a while back. I always enjoy seeing pics of the kids/men and family etc.

Great pic Cabbage...i too have met a few HSBBWers along the journey. Good people.

Ryley Gilliam

RHP in the Mets Organization

I'm not sure where he'll start...AAA maybe, since he ended there last season?  Hoping for big league S/T invite this spring. Pic below is from AFL this past fall.ryley AFL.

One more from last week at the gun range with my daughter & Ryley.IMG_1239

Been hearing good things about Ryley. Hope he makes it to the show this year. 

Happy Holidays!

TMM_Dad posted:

ZZzzzzzzz...

This thread has been dormant for a while. How 'bout a little twist? Why not link to the PG site's photo of your son? I'll start.

Tim Melville

Pictures from other sites are cool, too.

On page 15, 4 years after this thread began in 2004, I added the above post.

Tim's most recent game...

imgsvr

Attachments

Images (1)
  • imgsvr
hshuler posted:

Happy Holidays!

That would be pretty cool. We are planning to come to that Tiger vs Gamecock series. Prolly Sunday at Clemson so we can get into the Cheap Seats. We have some HS friend's son on Carolina, Bryant Bowen...USM grad transfer. Gamecocks will be better this year for sure.

Shoveit4Ks posted:
hshuler posted:

Happy Holidays!

That would be pretty cool. We are planning to come to that Tiger vs Gamecock series. Prolly Sunday at Clemson so we can get into the Cheap Seats. We have some HS friend's son on Carolina, Bryant Bowen...USM grad transfer. Gamecocks will be better this year for sure.

We’ll plan on seeing you there. I think I owe you a beer. 😂

What I have learned.

The baseball journey can be disappointing as well as rewarding.  The ups are enjoyable, the downs are excruciating.  If you can stay healthy, more than likely you will be rewarded. Even when you get a great shot by being a full scholarship guy or a high draft pick, if you can't stay healthy, after awhile, no one really wants to deal with you anymore. Our player has been in those situations many times.

The day that son decided he had enough with those nagging injuries and off season rehabbing he decided to return to Clemson to finish his degree.  My husband was devastated. I mean really, not a little but a lot. I gave him the old speech many times about how it's not his journey, Dave drives the bus, we are only along for the ride. 

However, that was the beginning of the best journey we could imagine. While being offered some really nice lucrative opportunities, he decided to make the baseball field his office. Better yet, we both seem to enjoy this ride a lot more than some of the others he has taken us on.  

We are older now, our priorities have changed, but it's fun watching son continue his journey as an adult making great decisions, all while still being a student of the game.  He still has a lot to learn but has made great goals for himself, and I don't doubt that he will achieve them.

This topic is now 15 years old.  I love hearing about all of your sons journeys, kind of disappointed that some folks never share who they really are or about their sons. That's their priority to do so. 

There will never be a better topic on this site than this one.

Lots of kudos to Floridafan for his gutsy post. The end of the journey is tough, but when one door closes another always opens. Our sons are who they are because of baseball.  But don't let that define who your son or sons are, just love them for who they are, with or without baseball.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.  And always remember to enjoy the ride. No matter where it takes you!

Last edited by TPM

It is definitely is quite a ride! I'd say to not get too caught up in what may be next, or what possibly may be, at the cost of really appreciating and enjoying the here and now. I believe it is possible for the parents to have a tougher time when the end of the road is reached than the players do. So much time, emotion, and money is invested.

I think the same thing is true whether they are 6 years old, or 20 years old. The journey needs to be more important to the player than the parents. If not, things can get way out of whack.

Our guy is a redshirt So RHP. Transferred to a new school this fall. We are looking forward to a big time this spring.

Included is a summer ball pic 

And adding a pic from this fall. Matt Blair, Georgia College

Attachments

Images (2)
  • FR 2018
  • GC 19
Last edited by High Change Ups Go A Long Way

I was cruising through this thread over the Holidays to see (again) all the players I've known over the years playing high school, college and some going pro.  I realized I forgot to post something about my youngest son.  He played rec baseball as a youngster but really caught the baseball bug around 8th grade.  He decided he wanted to play high school baseball and worked really hard to make the roster on a perennial powerhouse team.  He had a great high school coach that taught him a lot.  His HS team would go to the state 6A semi-finals twice and he pitched some big games along the way.  He was an extremely hard worker and was being seriously recruited by some regional D3s before he came down with a throwing injury his senior year.  He went on to college and tried ROTC but had to give it up.  But, he didn't give up on a military future.  He eventually came back to the military after 2019 college graduation and is currently serving in the Army Corps of Engineers.    

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip1
Last edited by fenwaysouth

Couple more small world examples:

Connected with a poster on this board a couple years ago during the recruiting process. Sons end up not only going to same school, but they’re now roommates and great friends

Another poster’s daughter goes to same school as my son.  Turns out, the two are very good friends and the poster actually took my son, and above roommate, out to dinner last semester.

Son is Jack DiLauro freshman at Holy Cross.  I don’t have any HC pictures, here are a couple of my favorite from HS

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 914C099E-0D7B-43DA-9B94-A2EFBDE6698A
  • C06F4F9C-A6F4-4CE7-ADD7-F1AF350C51C6
CTbballDad posted:

Couple more small world examples:

Connected with a poster on this board a couple years ago during the recruiting process. Sons end up not only going to same school, but they’re now roommates and great friends

Another poster’s daughter goes to same school as my son.  Turns out, the two are very good friends and the poster actually took my son, and above roommate, out to dinner last semester.

Son is Jack DiLauro freshman at Holy Cross.  I don’t have any HC pictures, here are a couple of my favorite from HS

Of Mets fame? just kidding.........

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.