Skip to main content

The catcher position is evolving these days..it's no longer being viewed as the slowest guy on the field..coaches have told me they are looking for quickness and athleticism in their recruiting..my 2019 catcher who is 6ft 170 runs a 6.7 60 in showcases and it stood out to a lot of coaches along with his ability to move like a cat behind the dish..helped a lot in his recruiting, so as far as what is the ideal height, I would say it's not a big factor as long as you are athletic.

speed is never a bad thing, at any position, but I can tell you that catching is the one position that will take your speed away more than any other. 

When I was coaching the little guys in youth BB, and everyone put their hand in the air when I asked who wanted to catch, the first thing I asked the catching volunteer was, "Do you like pain?"

No point in sugar coating it.

Last edited by 57special
57special posted:

speed is never a bad thing, at any position, but I can tell you that catching is the one position that will take your speed away more than any other. 

When I was coaching the little guys in youth BB, and everyone put their hand in the air when I asked who wanted to catch, the first thing I asked the catching volunteer was, "Do you like pain?"

No point in sugar coating it.

At 13u we attended pool party in a very upscale neighborhood, my boy put his trunks on a commenced to fun! A neighbor called cops, cop shows and asked who was beating the kid and where was parent? He began questioning, I interrupted and stated, sir, he's a catcher...the end. Bruises everywhere from blocking.

I would say it’s about the player and skill level , my son a senior in HS is 5’10 , switch hitter with speed and pop in his bat  . And has a pop of 1.84 . His Arm velo  is 85 mph to the bag on a laser . Some scouts have given him a 70 grade for his arm . While others say it’s a cannon . He just committed to one of the  top jucos in The Midwest.  I think over the years they overlooked him for his height but never for arm .speed and pop in his bat . I would also agree , be the best you can be and don’t worry about size or position . They will put where they want at the next level .

c2019 posted:

I would say it’s about the player and skill level , my son a senior in HS is 5’10 , switch hitter with speed and pop in his bat  . And has a pop of 1.84 . His Arm velo  is 85 mph to the bag on a laser . Some scouts have given him a 70 grade for his arm . While others say it’s a cannon . He just committed to one of the  top jucos in The Midwest.  I think over the years they overlooked him for his height but never for arm .speed and pop in his bat . I would also agree , be the best you can be and don’t worry about size or position . They will put where they want at the next level .

Switch hitting catcher with 85mph catcher velocity! SICK! worth his weight in gold. Bravo!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.