Skip to main content

This a a sad and gigantic loss. Doug would sometimes PM me to say he agreed with something I might have posted or ask a question rather than open a can of worms by posting. I took it as a big compliment always, that someone like him would take the time to do something like that.

deemax, I'm so very sorry. All I can do is pay Doug the ultimate baseball compliment!

RIP Doug, You were very good for the game of baseball.

Probably more important though, is the way Doug felt about his family!

We will all feel the loss and Doug's family has my very deepest sympathy. God, please take good care of this great man!
deemax:

Like many other members who have posted previously I didn't know your father, but from the posts of those who did know him it is abundantly clear that your father was a great, knowledgeable, caring, and loving man. He was devoted to baseball, this website, his family, and helping others.

Your father's legacy is secure deemax. Be very proud of him. Your family was blessed to have him as a father. We were blessed to have him as part of our HSBBW family as well.

Thank you for letting us know.

Michael
Last edited by gotwood4sale
Stunned....Saddened...and saying goodbye with great reverence..

IMO...The best measure of the man is the human results he leaves behind...

...Didn't know bbscout personally but his posts always commanded my attention, respect, and perhaps more importantly always carried a personal touch...

...charcateristics that I am certain will continue with his following generations...

...and with those thousands he touched here...

...The best measure of the man...

Last edited by observer44
Deemax;

My friend from Seattle received the news from Scott Ramsey.

Doug McMillan was a great friend and our AC Manager for the SF giants team. I am in tears as I write this e-mail.

Doug in 1996 selected several players from Oakland who did not have ability to travel to Long Beach. With the coordinated efforts of the
Northern California Scouts Association, we assisted in bus fare from Oakland to Long Beach.

Doug is story of a "hero" to the game. Doug recognize Nick Johnson, Jimmy Rollins and many others to our programs.

Bob Williams
Such a great loss to the Baseball Community, I truly am sorry for your loss.

He was one of the very first people I met on this site when I joined, him and Fungo made me feel very welcomed here. He was always one to answer any question I had over the years that I talked to him.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
quote:
Originally posted by deemax:
Many of you know bbscout the thread poster, scout, baseball man, and friend... I simply know him as Dad. My Dad passed away last night in his sleep. He loved his family, friends, career, and this website.

I'm so sorry.

He was a great asset to this board, much less the game.

He was also a classy guy on this board, and I'm sure in life as well.
I was shocked to read your post, but so grateful that you took time to let us know. Your dad was a wonderful man who helped so many through this site. He always took time to answer my questions, support posts, and provided congrats for accomplishments.

He was a good man and will be missed by all of us! I pray that God will give you peace and strength in the days to come.
Bubba's Baseball Bashers Bonanza
Southern Recruiting & Showcase Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A High School Baseball Web message board classic!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bama Bomber
posted January 02, 2002 10:54 AM
I think I'll start a Southern Recruiting & Showcase Service: Bubba's Baseball Bashers Bonanza, LLC.

We'll hold ten (3-Day) events a year at a cost of $499.99 per event to the participants.
We will guarantee that you will be seen by a professional scout and a college recruiter;
Be listed on our website, which is fully accessible to every college coach in the nation that has the time to surf the internet for his players;
Get a Bubba's Best Bashers tee shirt;
Furnish you a place to stay (better bring your own sleeping bag and pillow); feed you once each day (hope you like pinto beans, cornbread, & onions - plenty of sweet ice-tea):
And a signed baseball from Bubba himself.

For a modest additional fee of $99.99 we will put you on The Bubba's Best Bashers List (throw in another $50 [cash only] and get in the top 100) . For an additional $49.99 we will send you a copy of this prestigious list (scouts/recruiters only have to pay $19.95 per copy).

Attend all of our events will automatically place you in the top 100 and we will send your Player Profile to every major league club in the USA with a special letter from Bubba himself recommending you as a quality player.

Our events will be played on the best outdoor facilities (available) in the following places:

#1- Chalkville, Alabama (Hittin'In The Lines Showcase)
#2- Smackover, Arkansas (Hittin' Homers Showcase)
#3- Ball Ground, Georgia (Fieldin' Grounders Showcase)
#4- Slaughter, Louisiana (Run Up the Score Showcase)
#5- Guntown, Mississippi (Radar Gun Special Showcase)
#6- Cement, Oklahoma (Runnin' Showcase)
#7- Gloverville, South Carolina (Catchin' The Ball Showcase)
#8- Ducktown, Tennessee (Dodgin' Them Heaters Showcase)
#9- Cut and Shoot, Texas (Tern The Double-Play Showcase)
#10- Blue Mound, Texas (Gettin' Shelled On The Mound Showcase)

We accept cash, money orders or cashier's checks only made out to Bubba's Baseball Bashers Bonanza, LLC. Absolutely NO REFUNDS.

Hurry while we have spots available! Sign up for all ten events and become a Golden Bubba Basher. This exclusive honor will entitle you to extra beans and cornbread, extra straw in the barn loft, use of the outhouse (w/ moistened corncobs) instead of the designated tree and $1.95 off each event bringing the grand total to only $4,980.49 for the complete package - what the hey, just make the check out for $4,900.00 even. AND, you will be automatically added to the Bubba's Best Bashers List in the top 100 and receive a FREE copy of the list. WHAT A BARGAIN?! Better hurry and sign up, before the limited number of players is reached.

Addendum 1: There will be plenty of room in the adjoining pastures for vendor booths. Call me for prices at BR-549.

Addendum 2: We will not accept food stamps, "shine", eggs, chickens, hogs or possums as payment.

quote:
bbscout
posted January 02, 2002 11:10 AM
Where do I sign up?
Last edited by FormerObserver
Dale,

I just logged on, and was shocked to read this. I am very sorry to hear this, please accept my sincerest condolences. I'll be sure to let some of the local boys who've grown to know your wonderful father of his passing. I hadn't known him all that long or well, but will remember some wonderful conversations about local kids, and about his playing days that he shared stories of. He truly was one of the grand gentlemen of baseball in these parts, and is going to be greatly missed by lots of local people, both inside and out of this great game he loved.

I'm very, very sorry to hear of this. Doug, and your family, will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Dan
Last edited by 06catcherdad
Deemax,

I never met your dad in person but considered him a friend and felt I knew him through this board, where I've always enjoyed his knowledgeable posts, never with a trace of "Big League'ing", which he could have rightly done as he knew far far more than most of us regulars.

My dad died in 1981 and I still miss him, but have always remembered something a guy told me at the funeral-"In time, you'll get used to this but you'll never get over it, just keep on plugging". He was right.

My sincere condolences and may God bless your family and hold you close.

Hokieone
DeeMax, I am another who feels a loss and sends my sympathy and prayers to you and your family.

We often looked to BBScout for advice, read his words like we were in class, learning and absorbing.

For all the differences with others, your dad always delivered his opinions with class and dignity.
I have learned much here from him, but more than baseball, about people in general.
He seemed to always be giving back.
Deemax ...

Didn't have a chance to check boards or message yesterday and was advised of your dad's passing in an e-mail from a friend. It is no surprise that in your time of deep sadness, being the son of Doug McMillan, you would take the time to remember his friends and admirers and let us know what has happened. Thank you so much for honoring us that way.

Had the good fortune to meet up with your dad at a baseball game in So Cal several years ago, and several times after that. He was so easy to locate in the stands ... a very classy looking man who had more class in his little finger than many people have in their whole bodies. His wisdom and knowledge of the game was enlightening, and he always managed to share it with a calm and caring demeanor. His love for his family was probably even more evident than his love of the game of baseball. He will be sorely missed by everybody who had the chance to bump elbows with him, in person and in cyber-space.

May you and your family find comfort in that and may God cause your memories to outshine your sorrow.

Mary Ann Shappi
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
deemax - my deepest condolences on the passing of your father. Most importantly, it sounds like he was a great husband, father, and grandfather as well as a great friend to those who knew him.
I read everything he posted and still have dozens of pages printed out of his posts over the years. It always amazed me that he and a few others of the true professionals in the game took time to post here and help people.
bbscout will be missed and again so sorry for your loss.
bbscout and I met on the hsbaseballweb. We agreed. We disagreed. We sparred with each other many times. We even yelled at each other. Me more than him. Yet, in the last year or so, it became obvious that we saw things the same way. A result of my learning and his patience.

I would throw him a dagger and he would deflect it. I would throw a dagger at someone else and he would intercept it. And when the daggers came my way he would do the same for me. He never whined about it. He just did it. It was his presence, his wisdon, his way, that would redirect the discussion back to the topic.

It was like school kids bickering and then the prinicpal walked in. It was like the rookie pitcher was shaken and then Sparky came to the mound.

It was like players talking hitting and then Ted Williams walked in.

bbscout and I had several private conversations, both by email and by phone. I was always impressed and humbled by his knowledge.

I read every word he ever wrote with the utmost respect. I would read it. Analyze it. Digest it. I would try everything he said...hitting or throwing. I would be excited every time I opened a site and he had made a post. What was I going to learn today?

How does someone you barely know make you hurt like this?
Last edited by Chameleon
Stunned and saddened is an understatement. Your dad was a great man who earned all the respect he received. We have PM'd many times and as others have stated, I looked forward to his posts as they were always insightful and had a wealth of information from someone who has been there.

My sincere condolences to you, Brett and the rest of the family. He will be missed.

Frank
I know this is a repetitive sentiment (but so a very true one), but I am just truly shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of BBscout. I had never personally met him. Nor had I ever even communicated personally with BBscout via PM. But I still feel a profound sense of loss. I will miss his presence on this board and the knowledge he so freely shared. My condolences Deemax to you and your family. Heaven is a bit richer now for having BBscout in its ranks.
Last edited by luvbb
My deepest condolences to the family of bbscout...he was deeply, deeply respected and a great personality. I, too, did not know him, but stopped to read everything he posted. I always pictured him as one of those "old school" scouts who really loved and knew the game.
deemax, thank you for taking the time in the midst of your profound loss to allow us to share in your sorrow.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.