Skip to main content

Barbra17, here is our experience.  

I recently had to revisit all of my son's records.  As previously posted, he elected not to play college baseball, instead going to college and joining the Air Force ROTC.  In going through the military medical review process, we discovered that OCD is a potentially disqualifying condition.  When you state that you have been treated for OCD, you will get Medical Review Board's full attention.  He had to produce all medical and physical therapy records.  Then, they required a current surgeon's examination (he described the elbow as "perfect", the approx. 10 mm diameter lesion fully healed, 100% range of motion).  Then they required a current MRI, which was done on 2/20/18, a little short of 4 years after his surgery.  Thank god the military paid for the MRI; my insurance carrier certainly wouldn't.  The MRI report was that he had a fully healed elbow with no adverse effects.  

Last week he was called into the office of the commander of his detachment.  As his last encounter with the colonel was not entirely pleasant, he was rather worried.  He was informed that he was being awarded an AFROTC scholarship.  At a state school, it is basically a full ride plus a $450 per month stipend and $300 per semester for books.  As you can imagine, he was elated and I felt like I had hit the lottery.

Our son (now 14 and in 8th grade) was diagnosed with OCD when he was 11.  He sat out from baseball for about 4 months with the hope that the lesion would heal without surgery.  He then played with no further problems until last summer (13) when the OCD lesion (>10mm) separated and lodged in his elbow joint (resulting in significant pain and inability to straighten his arm).  After considering his surgical options and seeking three different expert opinions, in September, we decided to go with his primary ortho's advice, which was arthroscopic surgery to remove the loose body, debridement and possible microfracture.  Fortunately, when the surgeon got inside the elbow, he found that the lesion had already started to heal (fill in with new cartilage) so he removed the loose body and did not go forward with the debridement or microfracture.   Looking back, we believe the lesion may have actually separated in June, but did not lodge in the joint until August so it had time to begin healing prior to the surgery.  (Note:   Before the surgery, we discussed having the surgeon perform the more involved OAT procedure because we know that our son will want to continue playing sports long-term, and many articles indicated that the long-terms success rate with the OAT procedure was very high.  However, our surgeon recommended going with the less intrusive procedure first with the understanding that if it did not work, our son could then undergo the OAT procedure.)

Surgery took place in late September.  Surgeon had son moving the elbow within a week and started physical therapy 2X/week within two weeks of surgery, which continued through January.  By the end of physical therapy, he had full range of motion back in is elbow with no pain.

Son started hitting around Christmas and started a throwing program in early January.  Played his first baseball game in early February and has had no problems with the OCD area this spring playing a full schedule, while also playing basketball.  (Note:  We have not let him pitch, but he has caught some games, and otherwise played various positions in the field.)  We keep a very close eye on him to make sure he isn't experiencing any pain or range of motion issues, and so far so good.

One thing that we believe helped his recovery is he was VERY highly motivated to get back to baseball and other sports.  As a result, he was kind of a fanatic with his physical therapy, and he and continues with his PT and other exercises everyday.  Also, to make him continue to feel part of his team, his travel coaches allowed him to take on a physical trainer role while he couldn't throw or hit.  He developed a speed/strength training regimen for the team that they continue to do at practice.  Having a great supporting cast of family, coaches and teammates is key.

I'm sorry to have created such a long post, but reading about other families dealing with the same condition has really helped me in dealing with my son's OCD.  If you have any questions regarding our son's ongoing OCD journey or would like to discuss your son's options, feel free to PM me.  I wish you and your son all the best! 

Just to be clear, my previous post was primarily directed to Barbra17 since her son is getting ready to go through a similar procedure.  However, I would be happy to PM or speak with anyone dealing with the OCD issue.  Also, I want to thank all of the previous posters, MATTHERN28, BBALLMOMG13, SOUTHSIDEVADAD, MUSKYSHANE, BASEBALLSURFMOM and any others I may have missed, that have taken the time to post about their childrens' OCD experiences.  When my son was first diagnosed, I feared it was the end of his baseball journey, but your posts gave me hope that he can continue to play the game he loves.  

I am new to this and not sure how to private message but will try to figure it out .  I can't thank you enough for your post.  There is a desperate feeling as a parent to make sure you are doing what is right with the hopes your child can continue to play something they love so much.  It's part of his identity.  This has been very hard but your responses have truly helped me a great deal.  Despite all of the research my husband and I are doing, I am learning more by reading these posts.Thank you

Thank you JDubsdad, I appreciate that shout out. Love all the good news!! It takes a special parent and parents with the support like everyone on this chat and raising good kids who buy in and trust it and have a passion.  It has been 4 years and a long time Since replying, but I have watched from afar and keeping up. I have since become a science teacher and HS pitching coach, throwing baskets of batting practice, playing catch with the kids every day now at 28 and 15 years after surgery my OCD and Screw are doing okay! 

Matty, 

Congratulations on becoming a teacher and high school coach.  Those are both positions where you have the opportunity to influence a lot of kids' futures. It's too bad that you are in Texas or I might hire you to throw some BP sessions for my son.  My old shoulder is not what it once was (son keeps telling me to move closer in BP and I'm throwing as hard as I can!).

I would be interested in some insight from anyone who has had a son diagnosed with OCD and had it treated with OATS recently.  My son had his original surgery in January 2021.  Original surgery was loose body removal and micro fracture.  Never regained full ROM, but went though six months of PT without problems and returned to playing successfully.  Started feeling pain again this summer and we are now scheduling OATS based on two ortho evaluations.  Everything I’ve read about OATS is mostly positive, however, the orthos we’ve spoken with are not optimistic about a return to baseball.  Any insight or experience would be much appreciated.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.