Skip to main content

BaseballWebTV.com announced the launch of the 2009 MLB Draft Video Series (http://www.baseballwebtv.com/), highlighting team by team analysis by industry experts, Allan Simpson, founder of 'Baseball America' & current director of PGCrosschecker.com, & David Rawnsley, a national scouting director for independent scouting service, Perfect Game USA.

BaseballWebTV is a video-based website that documents the best prospects in amateur baseball by gathering information, video, & scouting reports from its founding partner companies, Perfect Game USA (Cedar Rapids, IA) & Skillshow, Inc. (Seattle, WA).
ClevelandDad -

Thank you for adding son's name to the list of drafted players! This week has been one crazy week for son (and us) in a great way .... drafted on Wednesday, took his last final on Thursday, moved out of his college apartment by Fri, moved everything home on Sat., and flies out on Monday to meet up with his new MiLB team. We're very happy for him .... and that there will be more baseball in our future too. Wink

Congrats to Tyler & the rest of the HSBBW family who's sons were selected in the draft.
Last edited by RHP05Parent
quote:
Originally posted by RHP05Parent:
ClevelandDad -

Thank you for adding son's name to the list of drafted players! This week has been one crazy week for son (and us) in a great way .... drafted on Wednesday, took his last final on Thursday, moved out of his college apartment by Fri, moved everything home on Sat., and flies out on Monday to meet up with his new MiLB team. We're very happy for him .... and that there will be more baseball in our future too. Wink

Congrats to Tyler and the rest of the HSBBW family who's sons were selected in the draft.

I know how exhausted you and your son are right now. Mine drove home 12 hours from South Carolina yesterday and had to leave Cleveland today by 1:00 PM for another 8 hour trip to NY. We had to get up early this morning, completely unload his car of hundreds of clothes and personal items, and then re-pack the car with the absolute essentials. He was supposed to be at his hotel this evening at 9:00 but he was so tired, he had to stop at a rest stop and take a two hour nap. He just called from the hotel and we are thankful he finally arrived and could relax. The team had food waiting for him and apparently he will have a roomate at the hotel with him this week. They get physicals tomorrow and get to work on Tuesday. The short season club's first game is on Friday. A whirlwind indeed!

Again, congrats to Eric!
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:
njbb, actually I just want to know if they signed.
However, I am an investment broker and thought I'd drum up a little business.

Ha ha!

If you are serious, you are a little late. The financial advisors are interviewing potential signees at the same time the scouts are, before the draft.
My son will probably sign tomorrow evening. Meeting is set, negotiations are probably as far along as they will go, etc.

Not looking for help with that part but wondering what it will be like in Orem, Utah when he reports to rookie camp?

Son naturally thinks he has to have a car with him.

I naturally think that in looking at the schedule he will not need one and figure it will just sit around unused while he's traveling, playing and sleeping.

He's had the use of our old family clunker (15 year old 4-Runner) while in college but isn't ready to buy a car yet and we're not sure the clunker will make it all the way to Utah.

Hence, my question. Do they live in apartments on their own or what at rookie league?

I'll ask the scout all of this at the signing meeting tomorrow, but figured some of my dear old hsbbwebbers could help me get a grasp on this next phase.

Thanks!
while i'm sure things are different everywhere, i would think in utah (bringem young territory) Big Grin there would be quite a few host family's. thats a good deal, they usually treat the players like family.
my son hooked up with 3 guys that rented an apartment. they split the rent, just tell him not to put his name on the lease. Wink
getting around in some towns can be difficult. i would suggest a bike. good exercise and cheap.
Congratulations on your son's signing.

I'd leave the car at home, because he may not remain where he will initially be sent and if he is sent out, they do not allow you to drive to your next destination (just ask jerseydad who just drove his son's car back up north from FL Smile). Teams usually either help first season players find host families, apartments or put them up in a hotel for the short season. It's a little inconvenient for those used to having their own transportation, we were advised against it and I do as well. The team should do everything they can to make his first experience a good one, though the college guys usually get less TLC then the guys out of HS.

As far as a bike, my son bought one while up in Batavia, while trying to fix the seat one night, he sprained his ankle very badly, no more bikes for him. Eek
Last edited by TPM
The out field view is beautiful in Orem and very close to BYU.
I'd take a car. i don't think there is much movement on a short season team and some teams do allow players to drive to and from their assignmaents.
Don't depend on host families not all teams have them, My sons pioneer league teams didn't he stayed in an old motel..had to eat out every meal out. some host families won't provide rides to players when they get back from a road trip at 3am.

You may be interested in reading the new book thats out about a pitchers season with the orem team.(i forget the name)
Last edited by njbb
RJM,

"A kid I know was told rounds 15-30 by his advisor. He went undrafted. He signed today."

That's a great story; I'd like to know the rest of it.

njbb,

"You may be interested in reading the new book thats out about a pitchers season with the orem team.(i forget the name."

I would DEFINITELY like to read that. Will Google to see if I can find it.

I think we'll find out tonight about when he's leaving and if he's driving or not driving after scout give us the lowdown.

MN-Mom,
In which forum or topic do you think updates on the experiences of the drafted kids should go? I'm going to mention what happens as it unfolds on my own blog, but would like to go in and read everyone else's stories too, ongoing.

TMM_Dad,
Great of you to list all the draftees in one post. Appreciate seeing them all there together, standing in a row smiling!

ClevelandDad & spizzlepop,
Thanks for the shoutout on Dillon last week! It's taken a week to come back to earth and catch up on all these posts!

Love you guys!
ktcosmos,

The book is called "Odd Man Out" by Matt McCarthy. It has been mentioned several times on this board, and one thread had a number of comments by posters who have read the book. It appears that thread has been deleted, probably because some posters (and perhaps a moderator or the original poster) feel pretty strongly that the book tells stuff that should have stayed within the team.

I have read the book, and found it to be very informative, but I can also well understand the other point of view.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:
Originally posted by ktcosmos:

Great of you to list all the draftees in one post. Appreciate seeing them all there together, standing in a row smiling!

ktcosmos,

It was an idea borne out of frustration. I can remember only a handful of the HSBBW sons who were drafted last year. This way I can find this year's crop a little easier.

There is a page here that shows where our boys are. I am most guilty of not contributing. I will PM Julie to correct this.

Last year, I read Harvard Boys, written by a first year minor league player and his dad, who also played in the MiLB. I thought that it probably gave a good idea of a player's first season. Since I think I read most of the same here on HSBBW, I wasn't too excited about the book. I imagine all the small town stories are similar.

I read some of the preview of Odd Man Out and didn't like the tone, so that was off my list of books to read. You may be more interested in it, as njbb suggests, its setting is in Orem.

Best wishes to Dillon as he continues his dream.
TMM_Dad,

Well, good on you. However you managed to sort out all the kids on here and then make note on them as the draft unfolded is beyond me. (and I am a professional organizer of sorts!)

Harvard Boys sounds like a good one; think I will pass on Odd Man Out, and then just experience Orem directly when we visit.

I found an awesome old library cart last year and decided that's where our baseball book collection should stay. We've got some good ones. Love to go to a hsbbweb book swap some time.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
ktcosmos,

It wasn't all that hard to do, but it is probably imprecise. I went to the link below of the 2008 draftees and read through each post. There are probably omissions and corrections are welcome.

As for your inquiry where the draftees' experiences are discussed on HSBBW, try the After High School. Sometimes the About the Draft forum will also relate experiences. I look forward to reading about your son.

2008 Draftees:

• SDBB -- Allan Dykstra, Padres - signed
  • DB2BMom -- Vance Worley, Phillies – signed
  • TMM_Dad -- Tim Melville, Royals – signed
  • Grasscutter -- Dan Hudson, White Sox – signed
  • justbaseball -- Erik Davis, Padres – signed
  • jerseydad -- Quinton Miller, Pirates, signed
  • (anonymous) -- Lee Ridenhour, Twins
  • Bum -- Rusty Shellhorn, White Sox
  • Midlo Dad -- Daniel Marrs, Phillies
Last edited by TMM_Dad
2007 Draftees:

• TigerParent -- Blake Beavan, Rangers - Signed
  • TPM (formerly TigerPawMom) -- David Kopp, Cardinals - Signed
  • 04Parent -- Connor Graham, Rockies - Signed
  • (not identified) -- Gary Perinar, Tigers
  • itsinthegame -- Darin Mastroianni, Blue Jays - Signed
  • rz1 -- Ryan Zink, Yankees - Signed
  • Bear -- Casey Baron, Brewers - Signed
  • Prepster -- Robert Woodard Padres - Signed
  • AcademyDAD -- Karl Bolt Phillies - Signed

Is that all from HSBBW who were drafted that year?

2006 and earlier look to be more difficult to compile, sorry.
Last edited by TMM_Dad
Coastal Carolina pitcher Nick McCully signed a contract with the St. Louis Cardinals on Saturday, officially ending his college career.

As a junior, McCully had the option of returning to Coastal for his senior year, but the Cardinals offered him a $100,000 signing bonus and will pay for any future schooling. He leaves Monday for Iowa, where he will play with the Quad City River Bandits, St. Louis’ Single A affiliate.

McCully said the coaching and experience he gained at Coastal played a role in his ability to skip rookie ball.

“Everybody here [at Coastal] is happy for me,’’ McCully said. “I’m really happy to have had the three years I had here.”

http://thesunnews.typepad.com/...-cardinals.html#more
I wanted to copy the earlier list and post it on this page with the 2008 and 2007 lists for easier viewing. More importantly, I wanted to update those who have signed.

2009 Draftees

• BigRed -- Nick Franklin, Mariners - Signed
  • ClevelandDad -- Tyler Bortnick, Rays - Signed
  • spizzlepop -- Sam Spangler, Pirates
  • LHPitcher -- Blake Keitzman, Mariners
  • puma1 -- Nick McCully, Cardinals - Signed
  • catcherdad -- Alex Burg, Giants - Signed
  • kjtj -- Tommy Peale, Marlins - Signed
  • ktcosmos -- Dillon Baird, Angels - Signed
  • HiHardHeat -- Tom Porter, Padres - Signed
  • SDBB -- James Dykstra, Red Sox
  • RHP05Parent -- Eric Massingham, Phillies - Signed
  • SoCalDadx5 -- Robert Stock, Cardinals - Signed
  • SoCalDadx5 -- Richard Stock, Brewers
  • Clint Taylor -- Matt Taylor, Pirates

Source - Baseball America's Advanced Draft Database (and a few friendly HSBBW posters) Smile
Last edited by TMM_Dad
Just to update the late signing of Alex Burg, He signed early and reported. He failed his physical with the team due to a knee injury that happened during the college season and basically his contract was voided.The Giant's doctor performed surgery on him to repair a torn Meniscus and a tear in his PCL ligament, They also found a severe bone bruise from the hyperextension that will heal in time.He has been on rehab in Scottsdale and ahead of schedule from his reports.After favorable reports from the doctor the Giants signed him .
Our best wishes to all!!
catchersdad
Last edited by catchersdad
Update from LA Times this morning. I pasted in but formatting looks funky.

Article here:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...ug19,0,5332641.story

Looking at the variability in the bonuses If I was in this class I would find out who the agents were for numbers 6, 9, 11, 19, & 29 ...

PK TEAM PLAYER POS. SCHOOL BONUS
1 Washington Stephen Strasburg RHP San Diego St. $7,500,000
2 Seattle Dustin Ackley OF North Carolina $6,000,000
3 San Diego Donavan Tate OF Cartersville (Ga.) HS $6,250,000
4 Pittsburgh Tony Sanchez C Boston College $2,500,000
5 Baltimore Matt Hobgood RHP Norco HS $2,422,000
6 San Francisco Zack Wheeler RHP East Paulding (Ga.) HS $3,300,000
7 Atlanta Mike Minor LHP Vanderbilt $2,420,000
8 Cincinnati Mike Leake RHP Arizona St. $2,270,000
9 Detroit Jacob Turner RHP St. Louis Westminster C.A. $4,700,000
10 Washington Drew Storen RHP Stanford $1,600,000
11 Colorado Tyler Matzek LHP Capistrano Valley HS $3,900,000