Skip to main content

These questions come up all the time here on the hsbbweb and I would like to have a thread to point to when someone asks.

How many players are drafted each year (approximately) from the following levels:

High School?
D1?
D2?
D3?
JUCO?
NAIA?

Also, beyond the statistics, does anyone know what the trends are. For example, is the number of draft choices from the college level going up?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CD,

I'm not at the office right now, but I believe we have those statistics. Will check when I get back.

Just guessing, but I think Rob is fairly close other than the DIII numbers are probably even lower. Maybe not though!

It's the lower rounds that throws everything off. If possible we will see how the first half of the draft relates to the last half.

I do know the college draft picks has been increasing over the years. The draft can be a bit misleading, though, because it is so dependent on signability.

infielddad, Didn't see your post in time. I would have guessed even less.
Last edited by PGStaff
I dont think I am going to answer exactly what you are asking but here are some fun numbers.

Draft Numbers – source 2009 mlb draft tracker

Round 1 (32)
15 - 4 Y (1so), 16 HS , 1 indi player.

Round 1A (17)
12 4 year (1 so), 4 hs , 1 indi player

Round 2 (31)
12 4Y (2 sr, 1 so), 1 CC (j2), 18 hs

Round 3 (30)
17 4Y (2sr), 3 CC (J1, 2J2), 10 hs

Comp B (1)
1 hs

Round 4 (30)
17 4Y (1fr, 1 so, 5 sr), 4 jc (j1,2j2,1j3), 9 hs

Round 5 (30)
23 4Y (5 sr), 7 hs

171 players drafted thru 5 rounds
96 4 year university players (19 of them were not juniors)
65 high school seniors
2 independents
8 JC players
Observations – number of hs players drafted reduced by round 20,18,11,9,7 – number of college players stayed consistent or increased by round.
Numbers:
56% of players drafted in rounds 1-5 were 4 year college players
80% of 4 year college players drafted were juniors.
38% of players drafted in rounds 1 -5 were hs seniors
Slightly less than 5% of players drafted in rounds 1-5 were JC players

I will do rounds 6 - 10 and see how the trends move.
Round 6 (30)
13 4Y (2 sr, 1so), 5 CC, 12 hs,

Round 7 (30)
16 4Y (1 sr), 3 CC, 11 hs

Round 8 (30)
21 4Y (7sr), 3 CC, 6 hs

Round 9 (30)
21 4Y (5sr), 4 CC, 5 hs

Round 10
21 4Y (5sr), 1 CC, 8 hs

150 total players drafted in rounds 6-10 (mlb 2009 draft tracker)
92 4year college guys (20 sr, 1 so)
16 CC players
42 hs players

150 players drafted in rounds 6-10
92 were 4 year college players (20 seniors, 1 so)
42 were hs players
16 were CC players
61% of players drafted in 6-10 were 4 year college players
47% of the 4Y college players were juniors – 13% were 4Y seniors
28% were HS players
Slightly above 10% were Community College players

4Y college player percentages went up in rounds 6-1 by 5%
college junior percentage went down from 80% in rounds 1-5 to 47% in rounds 6-10
hs players drafted went down by 10%
cc players moved up by 5%
Our guys just gave me this for last year.

Total College Players Drafted - 804
Total High School Players Drafted - 505
Total Junior College Players Drafted - 206
Total No School Players Drafted - 6

Out of the college players drafted last year (2009)

42 were 5th year seniors
328 were 4th year seniors
410 were Juniors
23 were sophomores (21 years old)
1 was a freshman (21 years old)

Sorry, we haven't figured out the various divisions the college players came from yet. We do know it leans heavily towards DI.
There must be a big shift in the later draft away from juniors toward seniors for those two numbers to end so close. (328/410)

I also noticed heavy D-1 and the JC kids came from the big winning programs.

I also (just for fun) looked by position (Catcher) to see if position tracked along with overall draft.
14 catchers taken in rounds 1-5 and it was an even split of 4yr college players (7) and hs players (7) taken.
In all rounds 130 total catchers were taken
64 were 4Y players 49%
59 were hs players 45%
6 were CC players 4.6%
1 no school
Rounds 11-20 300 total players drafted

185 4Y college players taken or 61%
89 of the 185 4Y players were seniors equaling 48%
112 hs players taken or 37%
44 Junior College players taken or 14%

Totals through 20 rounds of this year's draft

621 total players selected
373 4 Year college students or 60%
242 of the 373 were 4 Year college juniors equalling 65%
177 hs players were selected or 29%
68 Junior college players were selected or 11%
quote:
Originally posted by playfair:
There must be a big shift in the later draft away from juniors toward seniors for those two numbers to end so close. (328/410)

I think it's pretty easy to figure that one...Unlike any other category Seniors have no options so no negotiating power so they are a HUGE bargain...and seasoned...a very important factor at a time when budgets are strained and players in positions of negotiating power can command six figures and up...

Cool
Last edited by observer44
While the Draft and Follow ended a couple years ago, JC still gets many kids who want to play professional baseball and don't want to wait 3 years.

Often you will see current draft picks who are committed to DI schools change their mind and go JUCO in order to be draft eligible the following year. ie. Levon Washington was drafted early this year and was committedt o attend U of Florida. For some reason he didn't sign with the team that drafted him, but he went to a Juco rather than Florida.

Typically at a 4 year college the draft classes are juniors and seniors. At most 4 year schools the junior and senior classes are the smallest. At all juco's everyone on the roster is draft eligible. Then, there are many more JC's than DII programs.

Put it all together and there will almost always be more JC draft picks than DII.
Great reposonses from everyone! PG - I figured you had some of the information but did not want to put you on the spot for it - thanks for contributing. playfair - thank you. infielddad - those are staggering numbers when you think about it. Thanks to eveyone who has contributed.

After this thread has run its course, I'll move it down into the draft forum where people can reference the numbers in the future.

Everyone please feel free to keep updating the stats here. Also, feel free to post other statistics that might also be interesting to consider. Thanks!
Stayinside11, The thing that really struck me about the Juco players drafted is this.....

Only 24 Juco players in the entire country were drafted in the top 10 rounds. I think that is a very small number when considering all the "going to a Juco to stay draft eligible" talk. That is 24 of 321 picks.

In the top 20 rounds only 68 Juco players were selected. 68 of 621 picks. Even if we subtract the hs players out of the equation and compare college picks to college picks that would be 68 of 444 or 15.3%. That is a very small number to "want to stay draft eligible" for.

Because I dont think there is a lack of talent in JUCO I am left wondering if there is a lack of urgency in drafting JUCO players.
playfair,

You're correct, the numbers don't always add up. Though, once again, numbers mean different things to different individuals.

The number of players who want to be drafted, or stay draft eligible, is much different than the number that actually are drafted. Many go to JC thinking that they are likely to get drafted only to find out they don't get drafted. Of course, they then are draft eligible the following year.

In the early rounds (Top 20) they draft players based on ability, potential and signability. I would look at the figures (more than one out of every 10 being a JC player) as being fairly high for those rounds.
This took me a long time to compile and then when I went back through to double-check my work it didn't seem to add up exactly. They might be off + or - 2 players. But anyways these are pretty close and I will try to post exact numbers in near future:

D1- 680 players
D2- 61 players
D3- 14 players
NAIA- 47 players

---------------
Last edited by OnWabana
2009 Division III draftees

Nineteen players were selected in the 2009 MLB draft from Division III schools

The draft list:

Overall Player,School Position Team (round)
260 Robert Whitenack, Old Westbury RHP Chicago NL (8)
432 Matthew Tone, Cortland LHP Minnesota (14)
592 Jack Walker, Concordia (Ill.) 3B Washington (20)
734 Michael Johnson, Concordia-Austin RHP New York NL (24)
786 Dan Kazrowsi, Hamline SS Arizona (26)
792 Mike Giovenco, North Park RHP Minnesota (26)
794 John Semel, Chapman OF New York NL (26)
862 Evan Bronson, Trinity (Texas) LHP Washington (29)
918 Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity (Conn.) RHP Boston (30)
929 Adian Kummet, St. Scholastica RHP Cincinnati (31)
949 Aaron Dott, UW-Whitewater LHP Tampa Bay (31)
1057 David Iden, Cal Lutheran 2B Los Angeles (35)
1079 Chris Burleson, Southern Maine SS Cincinnati (36)
1211 Daniel Sarisky, Oglethorpe RHP Houson (39)
1237 Chris Handke, Cornell RHP Los Angeles (41)
1363 Harold Baines, McDaniel OF Chicago AL (45)
1464 Brett Holland, Texas-Tyler RHP San Diego(49)
1517 David Hissey, Emory OF Philadelphia (50)
1518 Drew Hedman, Pomona-Pitzer 1B Boston (50)
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
lefty,

Handke is from the Cornell in Iowa. That Cornell is a DIII school. Three of those listed were at our National Predraft Showcase.... Including Handke a 6'10"/235 RHP who pitched something like 9 innings all year at Cornell. He averaged a HBP every inning.

PG,
There's gotta be something there, c'mon, share with the class! Smile Kid throws 9 innings all year at a D3 and gets drafted?!?!?!?

The kid is 6'10"...is he a fireballer or do they just love tall kids throwing downhill?
Last edited by CPLZ
CPLZ,

Yes, Chris Handke is an interesting story. He’s actually a good basketball player, big tall athlete, who hasn’t pitched much. Great kid, great student who will be very successful in life. His story can be googled... Chris Handke baseball

Handke is another example of most anything being possible.

Handke stats for DIII Cornell College last year…

Games - 6
IP – 10.2
ERA – 15.19
K – 8
BB – 12
Velocity – 85-88

After Cornell’s season ended he came in and worked on his mechanics and got his velocity up to 93 a week before the predraft.

Here is another draft pick story out of the predraft showcase the previous year (2008)…

Part time Catcher for DII school, hit .200 his senior year.

One player at the same college was named team MVP and DII all-american – not drafted
A couple players earned all conference – not drafted
MVPitcher – not drafted
Coaches Appreciation Award for dedication and attitude (part time catcher who hit.200) - Drafted out of the predraft showcase.

Fast forward to 2009… The above player finished 2009 in AAA. He was drafted as an organizational guy and is being groomed to coach within the MLB organization.

These kind of stories do exist. So often we tend to talk about the high draft picks and well known successful college and high school players. Sometimes the stories behind the, not so well known, kids is just as interesting.
Last edited by PGStaff
Jerry (PGStaff),

I did Google "Chris Handke baseball" and that is a pretty cool story.

http://www.qctimes.com/sports/...4c-001cc4c03286.html

"A former teammate of mine works for Perfect Game in Cedar Rapids, and he encouraged me to take a couple of pitching lessons," Handke said. "I did that, and my velocity came up to where I was hitting around 93 (mph)..."

"I've never been very refined as a pitcher, and in the lessons I learned how to use my hips and midsection as I pitched instead of just trying to throw with my arms and upper body like I had all my life," Handke said.

I've been interested in pitching mechanics ever since 2003 when my son (then a HS pitcher) started working on correcting his mechanics (with the help of several HS Baseball Web members, especially cap_n).

Just curious, do you remember who gave Handke the lessons? I wouldn't be surprised if it was you...

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.