Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
Jeff is doing great. He decided to transfer after last season and is now at Lander University in Greenwood SC. His new coaches are oustanding guys HC Kermit Smith and AHC Chris Anderson are just super folks. It was a good move for him for many reasons.

From all accounts he is having a great fall season and he really loves the school and the area. I will certainly let Jeff know you asked about him the next time I talk to him. I am sure we will cross paths sometime next season!

Coach May - I believe this is the first time you have posted publicly on the subject. I just wanted to say publicly what a big Jeff May fan I have become. Not once did I hear that kid (or his Dad) whine about things. I didn't hear one single excuse. All I saw posted here was how other people were noticing how hard Jeff was working even when his name was not in the lineup. When his name was in the lineup, all he did was field his demanding position (catcher) and hit for high average. Not easy to do when you don't know when your number will be called. Like I said in the other thread, deeds - not dialog. Jeff, and how he handled things, is what we stand for here at the hsbbweb.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
Luck was a tremendous pitcher and player for that matter. He signed with Surry CC but went to Tampa in the 07 draft. He had two outstanding seasons and was on the fast track. Then he up and decides he would rather not play anymore. Chris was so talented but he didnt love it enough to go through the grind it was going to take.

Maynard is at NC State and has really done well. He is a Jr this year and should be a nice draft pick. They got him at Catcher , corner infield but its his bat from the left side that plays. I think he will end up in LF at the pro level.

UNC was just not a good fit for Jeff. He is a decent student works very hard but the academics were killing him. The smaller class size and the smaller campus situation seems to be a great fit for him. He is excited about the upcoming season and feels they will have a very good team this year at Lander.

Matt did in fact play for me at South Granville. He graduated the year before Luck arrived. And then the next year Jeff and Pratt were freshman when Luck was a Soph. We had a nice run with those three bats and those arms around.

Nice to have you around here. Keep in touch.
I errored on stating I saw Jeff this fall, when in fact it was last fall, ugh. I was wondering why I didn't see him behind the plate this fall during the WS and I'm happy he is somewhere he'll get playing time. Lander isn't too far away and Kermit is a great guy.

I didn't know that Chris decided to hang up his spikes. You always worry about that when scouting players, that why you try and check their hearts as much as possible, but with only one or two looks and no followup or digging you won't really know what's inside a player. I've seen many good ones quit, some for religious reasons and some that just didn't want to work out every year. I wonder if they would still quit if they were making 7 figures a year though, LOL! Wink

Best of luck to Jeff, Coach, and yes, do keep in touch!

I'm just down the road off US401.

X
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams:
Did you read these comments from Craig Wallenbrock
and Don Slaught

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2696

During my 17 years operating the Area Code games, I relied on each of these professionals for their advice. Craig and Don were two of my instructors at a Area Code 5 day camp at UCSB.

Don coached our American team to Japan in 1995.

They have studied the "art of hitting"and from the interview you can learn their evaluations on young hitters.
"I miss the friendship from Don and Craig"

Bob

Valuable post by Bob Williams, indeed. Click the link he gave us and browse around for a while like I did last night, and you will find a "mountain of top level data relating to upcoming drafts" incuding 7 videos of the top 2011s in the country.

The updated information about the following draft prospect didn't come from there, but HSBBW's own IL H.S. 2011 Sr., Nick Burdi was the surprise RHP cruising at 94-95MPH touching 96 & 97 at Jupiter a few weeks ago. PG already has him ranked pretty good but you may see an even better draft slot possibility if he shows up this spring showing that same type of movement on his Lance McCuller like fBs. The great thing about this webster's son is he still has more upside potential even with the recent 3-4MPH jump in Jupiter. Good to see a HSBBW son get this type of attention. I send my blessings. Keep up whatever it is that's making him exceed the scouting world's expectations!

Look for a Huge coming out party very early this spring from the entire scouting world for one Nick Burdi! Stay ready, and stay in the best possible shape you can in the next few months.

Also, congrats on your commitment to the University of Louisville. A big decision is coming your way, and many other webster sons here at the HSBBW. Smile That's a good thing!

Fathertime71
Last edited by fathertime71
Posted these in June at the Tournament of Stars in Cary, NC where the USA Training facility is located off Green Level road.

- removed the players and thumbnail remarks on each as a courtesy not to offend or get parents in an uproar, such as TPM.

But anyways, be sure to check out the TOS events in Cary for those parents who have kids in HS that aspire to continue playing baseball beyond the HS ranks! Good luck

I guess when there are other threads that have info about the coming drafts, they don't have players' names in them huh? oky doky

X
Last edited by XMLBScout
quote:
Originally posted by XMLBScout:
Do the moderators feel it would be of interest to start a "SCOUT TALK" forum/message board chat on this site? PG had a nice forum/message board and it appears they are going to continue to be down, since it's been well over 6 weeks. There has been no real explanation other than they are trying to improve the site. X

I got a question for ya.
I kind of got the impression that this wasn't thought of as being too favorable, for here. I had some concerns that were posted by PG, yet you guys seem to have decided to go ahead, not particularly caring about what others think. Is the general population here interested in scouting reports of players we don't know? Or is it really appropriate to post info about a websters son, some people really don't find this posted information flattering?
I am not sure you guys really understand that concept.
Don't you have any other place to go to post this information? I am not clear of your purpose, doesn't PG and other sites offer reliable info on players?

JMO.
TPM, if you have a problem with people posting info about HS players, why would that be? Isn't the message boards for posting information? Also, are you the chief moderator? And why do you ask others or accuse others that have been posting here before I joined the board last year that they were posting as me under another presumed name, etc.? If you have a problem with me, please PM me.

I was just posting general info about players I saw, it's not intended to defame or exploit anyone and I don't charge a fee for my analysis of a player(s) etc. If there were other sites to post info, I'm sure we'd find them.

I do post on my own page and I will continue to do so if you feel so inferior as to have info posted on players in the HS forum message boards and that will appease you, but I'd rather have the moderators or others who post information about players have the say so in that respect.

Thank you for your concern!

Respectfully,

X
by XMLBScout:
"My question was to see if a forum could be started here, but if it's going to cause that many problems, I will not start a thread for the upcoming and future drafts and keep my posts to my personal site. I don't charge for my services or for what I write about and If I do help players get a chance at a scholarship or professional baseball, because of something I passed onto a club or school, or what they saw that I wrote, that's fantastic."

I was wondering if you got an answer to that question?

I am asking you as was stated in another post, what is the need to post player's reports, here? Is some scout, crosschecker or GM of a ML team going to read your reports here for consideration for the upcoming draft?

Actually, being a moderator or not has nothing to to with voicing my opinion.

Yes, I do have a problem with it. And I am voicing that concern, you may do as you wish.
I too agree with GED10 on this one. This is useful information. Many of our reports, and scouting insight will help parents get a better idea on what we're looking for in a H.S. player. Take Nick Burdi, for example. He has "popped" and should be aware that he has more leverage now. Do you think full-time scouts will tell Nick he should get more slot money now?

Only "1" who seems to have issues with our posts. Out of respect for our recent "truce of peace", plz allow me to leave it at that.

Out of Love and Respect for all I post this message.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
by XMLBScout:
"My question was to see if a forum could be started here, but if it's going to cause that many problems, I will not start a thread for the upcoming and future drafts and keep my posts to my personal site. I don't charge for my services or for what I write about and If I do help players get a chance at a scholarship or professional baseball, because of something I passed onto a club or school, or what they saw that I wrote, that's fantastic."

I was wondering if you got an answer to that question?

I am asking you as was stated in another post, what is the need to post player's reports, here? Is some scout, crosschecker or GM of a ML team going to read your reports here for consideration for the upcoming draft?

Actually, being a moderator or not has nothing to to with voicing my opinion.

Yes, I do have a problem with it. And I am voicing that concern, you may do as you wish.
TPM, you didn't answer my questions and you didn't state what your problem is with me, you said you have a problem with "it". Also, why are you accusing other board posters that have been here for a long time, that they are me or I am them? I have had several folks tell me this and I will leave them nameless.

I do not work for any ML team currently and I was asking if info on HS players who may have an opportunity because there is no guarantee, being possibly drafted, could be posted in a "SCOUT THREAD". Are scouts going to read my reports? I don't really care to be honest with you! It would be flattering, but that's not the point of posting info on players I've seen. The point was to help players, because you are not going to get a scouting report unless, a) you pay for a service or b) scouts don't give out player reports that are currently working for a ML team. Since I'm not a service nor paid to scout, there you have my point.

You state you have a son playing professional and scouts came to your house, yadda yadda and the club didn't come calling before the draft? Hmm.. A lot of scouts I know don't always talk to the family before they draft or do draft a player, that's their preference because some bizzy boddy parents tell the whole world that "scout alpah" came over last night and they asked how much my son was worth, etc. Blabbidy blab blab doesn't help the family any and it definitely doesn't help that area scout any. If I was currently working for a club right now, I would not be posting any info any where on the web/internet.

So there you have it!! Period, end of story!

Thanks for those who appreciate baseball info and I will not post "Draft" information in the "Draft" thread about players on the HSweb. But I will still take PM and read the boards for questions/concerns that parents/players have.

Take care everyone! Happy Holidays!

X
Last edited by XMLBScout
X,

Why not just provide your link to your site, they can read all your player info there? Begin your own blog, google makes it easy, people can ask questions and you can interact. If you want to help on recruiting and what scouts look for in the draft, that is surely needed here, but I don't see that happening. Have you helped out with any of the recruiting questions asked here?
We are 8 months from draft and you want to talk about players that MIGHT get drafted, now? What is the purpose, I don't understand that.

BTW, I asked a question, what is your name and what organizations did you work for, did you ever have a player drafted? You came up with one team and you said you worked for the scouting bureau, where, when. You have never had a player drafted. You do not even provide your name on your site, do you? If you don't work for anyone, why not tell us who you are, so we can do some homework. I guess that's why so many feel confidant about Jerry, Bob, Coach May and Doug. I know I feel better knowing who people are, when tehy give info, don't you?

Do you actually see these kids play all over the country or do you take your info from other sites where you have to pay for those reports and tweek them a bit? Are you like the Robin Hood of the scouting world? You are providing free info for what other sites charge for? If so, then that means you and others feeo that it's ok for that info to be given out free here on the HSBBW?

If that is your purpose that really isn't right to do is it?

I have no clue what you are talking about regarding scouts coming to a players home before the draft, I am not sure you do either.

I made a mistake, I thought you were someone else, but I do still beleive you post under another name here, I can't prove it, just my opinion.

Shep, I thank you for your kind words about son, but I wasn't aware we made a "truce". Some of us kind of see you as an uninvited guest, so yes, let's not go there.

Players can be provided info from their advisors who will be knocking on their door if they "pop".

BTW, if you guys are not scouts, what's with the "what we" are looking for?

Yes, I do have a big problem with this, I really do, if some can't understand, that's ok, that's their option.
Speak for yourself TPM and not in the "we" plural sense of the word. If there truly are others who feel this way, let them speak for themselves. All I can say is I forgive you a thousand times a thousand, and then some.

Now that we have that out of the way....I have a few questions for you that I bet you won't answer w/o further personal attacks.

Why are you no longer a forum moderator? (Inquiring minds want to know)

Did you lose your power? Why do you suppose that is?(one can only wonder)

Coincidence or did ya just decide to retire

Was all this undue lack of respect towards those who give and continue to demonstrate passion for the "love of the game" really necessary? (pray tell)
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
X,

Why not just provide your link to your site, they can read all your player info there? Begin your own blog, google makes it easy, people can ask questions and you can interact. If you want to help on recruiting and what scouts look for in the draft, that is surely needed here, but I don't see that happening. Have you helped out with any of the recruiting questions asked here?
We are 8 months from draft and you want to talk about players that MIGHT get drafted, now? What is the purpose, I don't understand that.

BTW, I asked a question, what is your name and what organizations did you work for, did you ever have a player drafted? You came up with one team and you said you worked for the scouting bureau, where, when. You have never had a player drafted. You do not even provide your name on your site, do you? If you don't work for anyone, why not tell us who you are, so we can do some homework. I guess that's why so many feel confidant about Jerry, Bob, Coach May and Doug. I know I feel better knowing who people are, when tehy give info, don't you?

Do you actually see these kids play all over the country or do you take your info from other sites where you have to pay for those reports and tweek them a bit? Are you like the Robin Hood of the scouting world? You are providing free info for what other sites charge for? If so, then that means you and others feeo that it's ok for that info to be given out free here on the HSBBW?

If that is your purpose that really isn't right to do is it?

I have no clue what you are talking about regarding scouts coming to a players home before the draft, I am not sure you do either.

I made a mistake, I thought you were someone else, but I do still beleive you post under another name here, I can't prove it, just my opinion.

Shep, I thank you for your kind words about son, but I wasn't aware we made a "truce". Some of us kind of see you as an uninvited guest, so yes, let's not go there.

Players can be provided info from their advisors who will be knocking on their door if they "pop".

BTW, if you guys are not scouts, what's with the "what we" are looking for?

Yes, I do have a big problem with this, I really do, if some can't understand, that's ok, that's their option.
TPM, thanks for the reply.

I do not pay for any service, nor would I ever pay for a service. I will leave it at that. Do I steal info? NO! Have I cut and pasted info found on a publication site or PG site? yes, I have and I gave credit/credence to that post pointing that out.

I did not give my name out nor do I have to. Did you give your name out and does everyone know who your son is? I gave out who I worked for and no I didn't draft anyone, my scouting bosses did that, scouts don't draft players, trust me on this, only scouting directors. Many times the area scout doesn't even get their name on contracts, it might be the area supervisor, crosschecker or the scouting director, but hopefully the area scout does get their name on the contract as they should for giving credit where credit is due, today they probably do get their names on contracts, but not always and I'm 100% correct on that, trust me. Before the day of the internet and sending in your reports via the internet, scouts had to send their reports in via fax or snail mail and some scrupulous scouts, even a couple I worked for, never sent in the reports either other part-timers, full-timers or myself had sent in, case in point on one former player I sent a report in on was Jim Thome years ago which never hit the scouting bosses desk and stayed in a pile, which I later found on my former supervisors' box of moving supplies in Texas. (boy this is going to make someone mad, lol) But anyways, I worked started in 1983 as a bird dog for SD, then Tx, then MLSB, then NYM, then Tx, then Cleve, now since 2001, NO ONE! Charles & George Isringhausen will tell you whom I am, so will Brian Daubach, Benny Agbayani, Donnie White, Jon Lieber, Rick Dunnum, Chad Linadmon, Jimmy Wynne, Chris Fye, Mike Valla, Mike Jones, Billy Vosik, Jim Manfred, Miles Woolf, and countless others, tell you who I am. And I am not Ray Shepard, but Ray is a friend of mine and both of us have been mistaken by others, which is easy to do, for those of you who think you are sleuths to think this person uses this screen name, types like this, yadda yadda bing bang! I don't hide who I am, nor do I need to state my name. And if you think just Jerry posts under PGSTAFF here, you are NUTS! There are others who have access to PG email interfaces, like Tyson, Andy, Jim Ecker and others that work for PG, even Allan Simpson and his son have screen names and former Rockies scout who I ran into in Nebraska a few times in the past, who I will leave nameless as well.

When I said that scouts may draft a player and the family wouldn't know, that is concrete and the truth, not all scouts contact players and their families if they are interested in them and they can get their info from a scouting bureau report or a card, often I asked a player to fill out an information card years ago and never told them or their parents who I was, nor did they ask, if they did ask, I was polite to tell them. It's not a pre-requisite to tell someone who you are. Building relationships often goes for not for a scout who really wants a player badly and prays that no one else finds out about that player, but in today's world, it's virtually very very tough to hide out anyone, and it's more than just luck, you do have to be in the right place at the right time however, LOL!

Take care TPM and good luck to your son and to you!

Oh by the way, you stated something about "what we" look for, etc., and why post anything, yadda yadda bing bang, because over the last 30 years I have built relationships with many people in baseball, many are GM's currently, agents, D1 coaches, etc., and from time to time, at least a few times per month I have conversations with them nor would I divulge info on what they ask me or who(m) they might be interested in, because that is no one's business! So perhaps, stating "what we look for" is just a bad habit! LOL And if you want homework, well, you got some now!! I probably answered 99% of what you need to know.

X
Last edited by XMLBScout
quote:
Originally posted by fathertime71:
Now that we have that out of the way....I have a few questions for you that I bet you won't answer w/o further personal attacks.

Was all this undue lack of respect towards those who give and continue to demonstrate passion for the "love of the game" really necessary? (pray tell)

Shep,
I still have my moderating tools, though upon my own request I asked to have them taken away, several times and just recently.

Interesting that you should ask, unless you are aware of something that I said to someone when I apologized for a mistake, then that would mean I was correct all along.

Just remember folks, I do not have multiple names or personalities, never have and never will.

FWIW, I really detest people with agenda's. Take that for what it's worth.

I got to go with Jerry's warnings in his post and wonder why he closed the PG forums, he's our biggest supporter here and big fan of the HSBBW and provides great insight and advice as to what scouts look for, not sure why the info isn't good enough. No one has to post players names to let parents know what scouts look for draft consideration.

Find it strange that X who claims he goes out on the road to watch many players (yet not a scout and very busy with his job) and never been to PG in Jupiter. For sure that's the scouting event of the year, yet in all of these years he's never gone, I find that strange, very, doesn't anyone else find that strange.

Yes, it's we, Shep, only I just am the type who speaks up, and, just like you, in some cases, I can be annoying.

I do beleive that making the HS team and recruiting was the intended purpose of the site. Let's not forget that. In reality, very few will ever get drafted out of HS and sign, but a lot more will go to college. Aren't there sites out there that provide more info on players being drafted? Why not leave that to the PG and the BA type sites? You gonna tell me that here you guys can provide information on that? Or it's just for free?

This has nothing to do with having lack of respect for those who have an undying love and passion for the game.

If you are talking about lack of respect, some need to take a close look in the mirror, IMO, I can't get over how some come here for the first time (or sneak back in), try to kiss up and then just take over, or do the same thing they did to get booted out in the first place.

One last thing, if you know anything at all about people, then you know that most don't like someone else talking up their kids on a message board.
TPM must have hit a nerve with Shep and XMLB because now we can see the darker side of things - from both of them.

I can assure everyone here that PGStaff only posts under one name. It should be obvious to even the casual observer.

When you are a name dropper, you lose credibility imho. Your ideas should stand for themselves. They shouldn't require name-dropped attribution to back them up.

XMLB - I caught the slip-up on Jeff May right away when it was posted and it raised my eyebrows frankly. Others have suggested that you are an Internet scout and I am starting to believe that. BTW, I am the best Internet scout on the planet and if you don't believe me, just ask me (sarcasim off)
quote:
Originally posted by fathertime71:
Speak for yourself TPM and not in the "we" plural sense of the word. If there truly are others who feel this way, let them speak for themselves. All I can say is I forgive you a thousand times a thousand, and then some.

Let's not leave out the most important aspect of my post TPM.......FORGIVENESS.

Have a good remainder of your weekends baseball people, and if nobody's told you lately, God loves All of Us, even the annoying ones Smile

Peace
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
TPM must have hit a nerve with Shep and XMLB because now we can see the darker side of things - from both of them.

I can assure everyone here that PGStaff only posts under one name. It should be obvious to even the casual observer.

When you are a name dropper, you lose credibility imho. Your ideas should stand for themselves. They shouldn't require name-dropped attribution to back them up.

XMLB - I caught the slip-up on Jeff May right away when it was posted and it raised my eyebrows frankly. Others have suggested that you are an Internet scout and I am starting to believe that. BTW, I am the best Internet scout on the planet and if you don't believe me, just ask me (sarcasim off)
Cleveland Dad and TPM, I appreciate the feedback.

PG had a terrific "SCOUT TALK" message board that I loved over the last 5 years posting info on about the upcoming draft and players seen etc., and since I don't work for any ML affiliate, I didnt' see any harm in it and from the many emails, private messages I had from parents, all positive by the way, I was glad to have been any help in giving information to them along the way.

TPM asked why I never have been to a PG National Event or the Jupiter event, etc., and that answer is simply, why should I pay for a list of names that I can accumulate by paying a gate pass to and writing their names down? A lot of the players I report on don't necessarily attend a PG event and you will find players that are listed on their PG Profiles, as attending World Bat tourneys, but not attending one of their pay for showcase events.

I've been to the first ever AFLAC event before it moved over to San Diego and attended a couple out there when it did move, I went to the first Under Armour Classic in 2009 and was not able to attend this years, you can ask around if you really feel the need to, LOL, no sarcasm intended, and I regularly attend tourney's in Charleson SC, Greenville NC, Conway SC, ACC events in Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, juco games in Louisburg, Big 12 games in Lincoln Neb or Austin Tx. I go to where my former job allowed me to go and by chance just happened to lineup good matchups of pitchers or players going against one another. Is there anything wrong with that?

Sharing information and not being paid for it is a bad thing? Is it hurting anyone's chances to gain a scholarship or another look from a scout? And to think that area scouts don't read this or the PG message boards is true, would be a farce, because I know of several current front office folks and area guys that do read what's posted on certain message boards, so the world as we know it in the scouting world is smaller than we might think!

Again, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, no sarcasm intended to the "bird dogs" out there, nyuk nyuk, :::slapstick humor from the 3 stooges:::, but I just wanted to see what folks thought and I gathered enough info to know the answer to that.

I truly respect what PG does for baseball and I don't mean any disrespect to them at all. When I stated that not only Jerry posts, I meant that, because STAFF does not mean one person, last time I knew, if I'm wrong, than so be it!! LOL

Oh and one last point, if I only scout on the internet, does the internet give out ticket stubs at $5, $8 and $10 dollar increments like I have accumulated the last several years? Because I have a slew of them I could send ya.

Thanks again and good luck to ya'll!

X
Last edited by XMLBScout
quote:
And if you think just Jerry posts under PGSTAFF here, you are NUTS! There are others who have access to PG email interfaces, like Tyson, Andy, Jim Ecker and others that work for PG, even Allan Simpson and his son have screen names

Just to be clear, the above statement (rather than someones opinion) is 100% incorrect. I can't imagine why you would claim that without knowing for sure, which is my biggest problem with all of this stuff. I don't think any of those mentioned have ever posted on HSBBW under any screen name. At least one of those mentioned has told me I am NUTS for spending so much time on here. Every post (it's been many) by PGStaff has come from one person, no one else knows the password! Not many people in our organization even log on to HSBBW, let alone post anything.

quote:
I truly respect what PG does for baseball and I don't mean any disrespect to them at all.

This might be true, but then you say...

quote:
TPM asked why I never have been to a PG National Event or the Jupiter event, etc., and that answer is simply, why should I pay for a list of names that I can accumulate by paying a gate pass to and writing their names down?

My question... Why do so many MLB scouts, front office people and college coaches pay for this information and go to those events? The obvious answer... It's to SEE the players! The more you can see at one place is better than spending 100 times more to fly around the country seeing them. We know because we actually do fly people all over the place to see players. For sure we have people covering all the events that have a large number of talented players. It's very expensive!

We are aware that our player lists are given out to those not in attendance. We know because we have a method for checking this. Odd how a players name can be listed and he receives invitations to other evnts claiming they saw him. Problem is he wasn't there, he didn't make it there, he was just listed on the roster for that event.

Anyway, so long as everything stays positive, but more importantly factual and truthful... I guess we will just have to see how this plays out.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
quote:
And if you think just Jerry posts under PGSTAFF here, you are NUTS! There are others who have access to PG email interfaces, like Tyson, Andy, Jim Ecker and others that work for PG, even Allan Simpson and his son have screen names

Just to be clear, the above statement (rather than someones opinion) is 100% incorrect. I can't imagine why you would claim that without knowing for sure, which is my biggest problem with all of this stuff. I don't think any of those mentioned have ever posted on HSBBW under any screen name. At least one of those mentioned has told me I am NUTS for spending so much time on here. Every post (it's been many) by PGStaff has come from one person, no one else knows the password! Not many people in our organization even log on to HSBBW, let alone post anything.

quote:
I truly respect what PG does for baseball and I don't mean any disrespect to them at all.

This might be true, but then you say...

quote:
TPM asked why I never have been to a PG National Event or the Jupiter event, etc., and that answer is simply, why should I pay for a list of names that I can accumulate by paying a gate pass to and writing their names down?

My question... Why do so many MLB scouts, front office people and college coaches pay for this information and go to those events? The obvious answer... It's to SEE the players! The more you can see at one place is better than spending 100 times more to fly around the country seeing them. We know because we actually do fly people all over the place to see players. For sure we have people covering all the events that have a large number of talented players. It's very expensive!

We are aware that our player lists are given out to those not in attendance. We know because we have a method for checking this. Odd how a players name can be listed and he receives invitations to other evnts claiming they saw him. Problem is he wasn't there, he didn't make it there, he was just listed on the roster for that event.

Anyway, so long as everything stays positive, but more importantly factual and truthful... I guess we will just have to see how this plays out.
Jerry/PG, thanks for the reply and sorry if I mistaken you for not being the only one posting under PGStaff, but my point has always been to be informative, as accurate as possible and give positive info, and share what I know, not trying to toot my own horn or be a braggart, which I know comes across that I may be that way, but it's not intended. As I mentioned above, I will not post player reports on the HSBBweb.

As far as me not attending PG events, I have in the past, the Iowa Wooden fall/spring league, first time was when Hanrahan pitched and Nelson was a 3b'man and very young then at IWCC-CB, it must have been '93 or so, anyways..........I know that MLB scouting bosses, GMs, the Bureau, etc., attend the world class showcases that your group puts on PG and I have always been a huge supporter of those events and the clubs pay for going because that's where they all can gather as much info from one site as they can for the limited time that they can. Why do you think that 30 scouts from one club go to the World bat tourneys in FLA? Because there are so many fields, etc., and a mass of talent out there which I know and read about. I remember years ago East Cobb used to send teams into Omaha during the CWS and that evolved into something even bigger for East Cobb baseball which is one of the best programs around in the nation. It's tough for one or two area guys to cover over 60 teams at 6 plus fields simutaneously, LOL. Sure I could pay to attend the event, but when my job was taking me to large cities where there was relevant talent to see for each year's MLB Draft, it was already company expensed, so the rest was out of my own pocket and many times it didn't cost me anything to get into a game, having known the coaches/ADs, etc. IF and when I do have the time to go to Tropicana or where-ever a PG major event is where there is well over 100 talented players who have a shot of being high drafts, etc., I will make a concerted effort to be there, but in reality, my itinerary is as it is with what I do for a living and that's what pays my bills, no ML club does that for me, LOL, and I like it this way for now. I do get to mingle with some of the young interns for a baseball publication and I always praise how PG does a great job at promoting baseball, and you are all great ambassadors for the game of baseball.

Again, I didn't mean any disrespect to you PG, but I felt slighted for the hard work and information I give out and dig for when I am at games and viewing classified videos, etc., or attend all-star events. The first was in 2003 when Nelson won the HR Derby years ago for AFLAC. I remember seeing the young man the Halos had who lost his life after starting a game on tv I was watching and I offered my condolences to the family and to the scout who pitched for me at IWCC-CB who signed him.

So again, I will not post any player reports, but I will contribute when the opportunity arises and someone wants advice or info that I may be able to share about.

Thanks again!

X
Last edited by XMLBScout
PG Jerry,

I will remain positive and have vowed not ruffle any feathers. I am a renewed person who would like to contribute here without being questioned at every turn by people who really don't know me at all.

It never even entered my mind that someone else posted under PG STAFF. I knew better because you are the only PG STAFF I've ever known here. Always helpful, truthful, and just PG Jerry. Not sure why X thought otherwise. I'm very aware that only one person posts under that avatar ( even if it is another college logo Smile), and so is everyone else here, except for newcomers.

I know exactly what you were saying in your earlier post when X first started this thread about those that manipulate the messageboards for self-serving purposes. Believe it or not, I have no alterior motives involved with my "passion for the game of baseball". None, whatsoever! I am on nobody's payroll involving these prospects, it's just what I enjoy doing around my teaching job of 17 years. I teach science, and have a good working background involving athletic related movements with countless hours of research, and video analysis. I am a person who enjoys my profession because it involves everything around us and can impact all of our future if someone doesn't come up with some answers to solve many current worldwide trends.

I want you to also know, personally, I think the absolute world of the PG family. You all have made "HUGE SACRIFICES" through these many years, and it hasn't gone unnoticed. And especially for baseball prospects who never would have received the opportunities that the PG service provides in the modern age of baseball scouting.

I've said this to you before, I wished you guys would have been around when my brothers and I all played because I do believe things might have turned out differently for several of us back then when we played in the 80's and early 90's. As it has turned out, I believe I'm exactly where I am supposed to be helping inner-city student/athletes stay on track, and reach a level of success that will make them productive citizens in this tough economical environment we find ourselves in nowadays. It's a calling that is sometimes not easy for a person to see without a little help along the way. Euphoria has blinded many with unreasonable goals and dreams, including me. My goals were way too tunnel vision back in my playing days, and I had to fail in the reality of my own selfish dream before I could be of any use to these kids I teach. I am blessed, and I count my blessings every day. Like you, I don't have time for this type of behavior on a messageboard, and certainly don't invite it! I find myself seeking an avenue to stay involved. Unfortunately, I have encountered those out here who have taken it upon themselves to be my judge and juror. That's a shame because I do have old school hard knocks experience that may help someone traveling down a similiar path as I have. That's really why I'm here, and will post in the hitting/pitching forums over the holidays. I am looking forward to talking with Bluedog, and many others over this Thanksgiving/Winter Break. That's the scout talk I really want to be involved with, not the scout talk about prospects up in this forum. You guys do a good enough job for me, along with Baseball America, when it comes to scouting and evaluating talent. It needs to be said by an unbias person that the travel costs you guys must incur must be astronomical! I know this from my own limited travel in the past to baseball events, especially, a 2-flighter across the country as in the AFLAC trips! WOW! I hear you on that very valid point you made above! WOW! I do enjoy attending your events though, when I can. Heck, it's only $10 for a one day pass in Jupiter, for example. That is the best $10 investment any baseball person can possibly make! In fact, I have been to two Jupiter tournaments in the past 3 years. Saw you at both, along with many others.

Well, it's certainly not about me, and I shoulda stayed on the sidelines in the "all to familiar, let's get to know each other party between the two posters above". I find it almost comical that the same strategy and questions were asked at my party a few years back! It's like being screened for an FBI job! Enough rambling. Have a good week, sir.

Respectfully,
Fathertime71
No, I don't think they are the same person. Father Time, if he is who he's been identified as on this thread, had numerous web names on another site. He would use them mostly to shill incessantly for one or two prep players. He would generally use one name until he pushed the envelope too far with the webmasters, then disappear for a little bit and reincarnate himself under a new moniker, but the message never changed, so you knew it was him.

XMLB frequented the same site. He didn't seem to be as bad. He would trumpet some kids, but it never appeared he had nearly the same agenda as Father Time. He certainly mentioned lots of players across the nation for someone who did not do this for a living. Whether he saw all the kids he wrote about, I can't say, but I think we'd all love to have that much free time to watch baseball.
Link copied to your clipboard.