Skip to main content

Let's not forget the "radar gun messenger" guy...who ambles over to the nearest gun for a few moments when "junior" is pitching then strides back to the group quickly with "he's consistently in the 90's and just threw 2 92 mph sliders" or "that gun only showed him at 84 on his fastball but I know he was throwing 93 last week at practice."

And you can't forget the "scout locator/counter" guy who thinks every guy with a college or pro hat on is a scout and points them out to everyone.
I thought of this thread as I was at a game the other day. So I actually looked around. There are a few more groups and differences that I’ve noticed:

There are some parents who cheer differently depending on circumstances.

A young kid on my son’s team recently went from DH to starting 3B. The older kid that is now the DH didn’t seem happy at all when the younger kid hit a RBI double to the gap. But when his son, the DH, hit a can of corn to LF, he was all smiles and clapping. Mentioned something about the “wind” being a factor too..LOL

You can sometimes tell who’s kid isn’t playing vs who’s is, by the intensity or lack of, when they congratulate a hit or a nice play. Sad but true.

The “Back of the Bleachers Guy” – You know him. On the smaller bleacher, they are too cool to sit down. They instead rest their elbows on the last row in the bleachers. Here’s to you.

The “Proud Dad” – If his kid is playing and doing well, he’s talking to everyone. If he’s not playing well or not at all, you’d think he wasn’t even there. Never understood that one either.

What about the “Good Eye” “Way to Watch” camp?
Batter ducks a pitch that would have plunked him…it’s inevitable..wait on it…here it comes.. “Good Eye.” “Way to watch.”
Really?

My travel kids laugh, because when they dodge a pitch I always either say “It’s about BASERUNNERS right?” or “I would say good eye, but that almost hit you.” My kids in the dugout inevitable start up with “Come on…you gotta WEAR that one!!!”
And last but not least..

The “Argue with the Umpire Coach, and doesn’t understand why he doesn’t get calls” guy.
“Where was that one Blue?” “That’s gotta go both ways.”
This same Coach / Guy then can’t understand why all the “close” calls never seem to go his way…..LOL.
This is not one found in very many stands, but I enjoy the teams that have the "chatter guy". He is like an extra infielder as he sits in the bleachers and exorts the home team pitcher with every throw to "hum babe", "show him the dark one", and my favorite, "Hum, pitcher, pitcher, swing!" His reply to what he considers a bad call is to quickly inform the pitcher, "Not your fault, keep firing."
A dieing breed, but a fan to be appreciated.
How about the weather man. He can give you up to the second forecast info, wind direction AND visibility conditions.

"Sun is going to be tough for that Left fielder today"

"Wind is really going to cause some problems today"

"Looks like we will just get this one in before the clouds open up"

"Going to rain around the fourth inning"

"No way we get Fridays' game in"

Oddly, he is right about as often as the TV weather men.
quote:
Originally posted by hsbasballfan:
At just about any field in America all these roles are filled....

How about :

"The Guy From the Other Team"

He usually has some connection with your own team(his son played on a summer team with someone) and ventures to your side of the field to share informaion/compare notes.

If his team is struggling he fills you in on how bad their coach is and may even go so far as to tell you "wish my son was on your team"

At some point something happens in the game making his pesence uncomfortable and he retreats to his own side of the field most likely providing a report to his fellow fans that starts with...."I was just talking to __________ _________ and he said....

lol, good one. The Liason- diplomat or double agent?
Guilty as charged...at some point I think I've been all of them (excluding the references to the ladies!). I've also coached against several fathers here and had a great time...wouldn't trade any of it, not for a minute. Now that 'Junior' is holding his own...I just like to be 'Happy Father and Team Fan' parent. But I still hate when they lose...almost as much as they do!!!
This is one I haven't read on this thread. How about the grandmother (who BTW never played any sports) who stands directly behind the catcher and ump and proceeds to call balls and strikes. Albeit in a low voice but still calls what she THINKS she sees even though she has cataracts and can't see anything very well! I'm her D-I-L and it drives me absolutely crazy!! I know, relax mom. Easy to say, hard to do. Thanks guys for letting me vent.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hsbasballfan:
At just about any field in America all these roles are filled....

How about :

"The Guy From the Other Team"

He usually has some connection with your own team(his son played on a summer team with someone) and ventures to your side of the field to share informaion/compare notes.

If his team is struggling he fills you in on how bad their coach is and may even go so far as to tell you "wish my son was on your team"

At some point something happens in the game making his pesence uncomfortable and he retreats to his own side of the field most likely providing a report to his fellow fans that starts with...."I was just talking to __________ _________ and he said....

OMG..this guy doesn't stop at the high school level. The wife and I drove 800 miles to Orlando last month to watch the younger kid's JUCO team open their season. We arrive at the field in the middle of the first inning of the first game. This is no lie, I haven't even settled in after driving 12 hours and this guy walks up to me and says, "Where ya'll from?" I say, VA Beach, the team is from MD. And the next words out of his mouth were, "Yeah, my kid is on the other team, we got 3 or 4 D1 kids, couple more should go in the draft this year. My kid is the closer." After fifteen minutes of this, he finally walks off and my wife indicates to me, "how do you attract these guys"?
Wow this makes me look back over my 13 years being around the game. How many of these hats have I wore over the years ? We all have our top one or two so I will share mine. I have the extra score book ( its retired and has been replace with the video camera ) BTW we need to had that to the list. You no the guy\gal trying to get that special clip to send to a college coach. LMAO " Guity here" I have ask for that cup full of ice or better yet shown up with that Bubba mug. Did you know you can get 3 cold ones in that thing. Wink Now I am thirsty !!! Its noon somewhere right? Great topic and enjoyed reading this morning.
My least favorite is the mom who shouts out "it's OK - it's not your fault" whenever her kid doesn't get the job done.

That one makes me angry.

The others humor me but these moms (and dads) who think that failure is a bad thing just kill me.

other than that, I am guilty of being the "self policer". Or as I call it - the "personal restraining order". The only place safe during the game is 150 yards from the ears of umps, coaches and the "not your fault" mommys.
I was Scorebook Lady for a while, too. The reason I kept it was to help me keep my mouth shut! I never computed stats. My friend Stat Lady did that. Big Grin

I quit keeping the book due to the dreaded Cellphone Mom. Cellphone Dads are out there, too. Too busy talking on the phone to pay attention to the game. They are only there to watch their son, and don't really care about the game.

"What's the pitch count?"
"What's the score?"
"What inning is it?"

One of the last times I kept a book, a 14 year old 2B popped to third for the last out in a 16U BCS game that Cellphone Mom's son was pitching. We lost. Sitting right behind me, yapping on her phone, she said, "Choke, choke, choke."

I have fantasized ever since about just where on her person I might have placed that scorebook. Big Grin
Last edited by 2Bmom
Has anyone listed the "run for the home run ball MOM". They are the one that thinks someone will steal the HR ball and they will race anyone to get it first. They will cross an 8 lane highway during rush hour or spend the better part of the next two innings looking in the woods, swamp, parking lot or home team dugout for their prize. They are very serious about getting their trophy and their anger will have no mercy for the umpire or coach that allows anyone to throw their ball back into the game. The funny part is that the player has probably hit 20 or more home runs over the years and the ball will just end up in their bat bag or bucket.

Anyway......Here's to you Home Run MOM!
I was coaching a team of 14 year olds once and we were struggling at the plate.
Lots of strike outs looking.
The kids were down and I was too.

We had some "thats OK johnny Moms"

At a practice on day I called the kids together to talk aout our lack of success at the plate.

I asked them as a group "when you strike out and walk bck to the dugout whose voice do you hear fist?"

One kid looked at th ground ad said "my mom's" I asked "what does she say?"

She says...."thats OK you will get it next time"

I paused until they were all lking at me and said "is it REALLY ok?
They all kind of smiled and said ..."not really"

I told those young men that day going forward lets approach every at bat with the goal of making he PITCHER'S mom say "thats OK you will ge him next time."

It was a conversation at 14 they were ready to hear. They seemd to unerstand that year that the hitter/pitcher match up produces a winner and a loser. Alot of that battle is won by who wants it the most!
Couldn't some of the referenced individuals be consolidated into "Cheerleader" - The "Great Hit Guy" who says great hit as the player heads to the dugout after making an out, the "Good Eye, Way to Watch" guy, the "It's Not Your Fault Mom?" Added into that category is the team supporter (not necessarily a parent) who stands behind home plate and encourages the pitcher after each pitch he throws - "good pitch," "just a littler higher," "bring it in a little," "nice drop," etc. Or the sister of "It's Not Your Fault Mom" - "just a loud noisy strike" to the pitcher (when the ball goes over the fence barely foul), "you'll get 'em next time" (when the player strikes out for his third time of the day), "you can do it with two" (when the player has an 0-2 count on him), etc. All of these folks are The Cheerleader.
Fun thread...

I always got a kick out of "Mr.Handicapper Guy".

He's the dad that will tell you all the reasons why his son might struggle before the game starts (especially applicable to pitchers dads Wink).

If the boy does well... then it's, "yeah he really dug down today after having to deal with..."

If the boy struggles... then it's, "yeah, had to expect that after having to deal with..."
Last edited by jerseydad
Best thread I've seen. At our tournament today I took time in between games to notice some of the above assailants, really funny when you know what to look for! Not sure if this has been posted yet but what about the "Dugout Visitor Dad"? You know, the father that trots into the dugout like a coach or calls his son to the fence after every at bat or inning in the field to physically demonstrate what the player did wrong, by getting back into his old playing stance, albeit finishing it off with "great job though."
Did we mention the "video tape every single game in its entirety" Dad?

One of my kid's HS teammates dad did this. He was a fine guy - very into his son's baseball, obviously, but no problem with the guy.

But I always wondered what he does with all that footage.

Maybe when I am 80 I will wish I could watch all of my son's HS baseball games again, and the last laugh will be with him. I'm just not a very good memory chronicler. I have a few dozen at bats of my son's from HS on video, but that is about it.
As a player I have seen the group of LF line dads change, as well as their roles change from LL to HS ball. Here's the lineup of guys we have down the LF line at my HS:

1. The Relief Pitcher Bullpen Warmup Watcher/Evaluater:
This is a dad that stands right behind the bullpen backstop to get the inside scoop on how Lefty's curveball looks today. He also manages to completely distract him from getting his warmups done right.

2. "Right/Don't You Think/Are you following me/Am I seeing this right" Guy:
Another dad who always looks for approval with every comment he makes throughout the game because it's plainly obvious that he can't even dress himself in the morning without feedback from someone else.

3. "Senior Backup Catcher's Dad" Guy:
Just along for one more ride and loves to soak everything in.

4. "News I picked up today from other teams in the league" Guy:
He seems to have more connections than Peter Gammons.

5. 2 dads who think their kids are big stuff because they made varsity so they feel like they need to make appearances down the line even though they have no real value to the function of the operation and their kids ride the pine.

6. Stud 8th grader's dad who will be on varsity next year, but still never misses a game. Likes to soak things in.

7. One former All Star coach, and one former travel coach who coached the core of these kids growing up. These guys have the bulk of the actually decent insight.

8. AND FINALLY... maybe the most important man mentioned on this thread... "The Man":

This is the man's last hoorah, his kid is going to play college ball. The man is the oldest in the group because this is his last kid to go through the school. The man is the staple of the group. He has locked down the group for years now, watching his older boys. Others have come and gone, but the man remains. He knows the most, yet he only speaks when spoken to. He is an observer, not a rah-rah guy. Everyone else in the group look to him for approval when they question calls, coaching moves, AB's, whatever. Everything is run by the man. The players say hi to him before every game. He is friendly enough, but doesn't joke and never smiles. Everyone knows he is in his heaven.
quote:
Originally posted by idahojoe:
As a player I have seen the group of LF line dads change, as well as their roles change from LL to HS ball. Here's the lineup of guys we have down the LF line at my HS

8. AND FINALLY... maybe the most important man mentioned on this thread... "The Man":

This is the man's last hoorah, his kid is going to play college ball. The man is the oldest in the group because this is his last kid to go through the school. The man is the staple of the group. He has locked down the group for years now, watching his older boys. Others have come and gone, but the man remains. He knows the most, yet he only speaks when spoken to. He is an observer, not a rah-rah guy. Everyone else in the group look to him for approval when they question calls, coaching moves, AB's, whatever. Everything is run by the man. The players say hi to him before every game. He is friendly enough, but doesn't joke and never smiles. Everyone knows he is in his heaven.

Great overall list!
On the last one, you know a lot about this guy. I have a feeling this man may have been your grandpa's son... Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.