Skip to main content

Just like some input from people who have been down this road before. Son has already committed to D1 school and has been contacted by an agent/advisor offering his services. In the letter he says, "According to his sources" my son will get drafted and are on several teams short list. I have already been warned by many of you to be aware of these things. Any input, suggestions, would be appreciated. And I wonder who his "sources" are and what a "shorlist" is????

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Batman,
Congratulations to your son. It's exciting to receive that kind of letter. If you received notice from one advisor, you will probably hear from others if your son is on the "shortlist". Approach this process carefully. Check out who you are dealing with by asking for references. I actually called the parents of the players that advisors handled. I felt that was my best source of information regarding how the advisors handled their sons and I asked them if they would use the same advisor again.
Bottom line: I would ask the advisor who his sources are and to define to you what a "short
list" is. I would ask for references and check them out. Also, I would ask this advisor if he has ever seen your son play. If he hasn't, he may just be fishing, casting out the net to tie up as many players as he can.
As an aside, after we were notified my son was drafted, it wasn't five minutes later before our home phone rang with an "advisor" 2000 miles away wondering if my son had representation. Advisors are much more than contract negotiators. The good ones are part of the process at least 6 months to a year in advance. Good luck to your son. Take care.
Last edited {1}
And make sure you read over the NCAA rules regarding agents/advisors. I believe there's an article on this site as well. Bottom line, you do not want them to ever "negotiate" or act as a representative with a MLB club on behalf of your son. If they do, he could lose his college eligibility. You also need to make sure your son knows that he can never take anything from them for free (including a hamburger). There are lots of grey areas, but just be careful.
Last edited {1}
justbaseball

"you do not want them to ever "negotiate" or act as a representative with a MLB club on behalf of your son. If they do, he could lose his college eligibility"

NOT TRUE! YOUR SON WON'T "LOSE HIS ELIGIBILITY" AS AN EXAMPLE, JEREMY SOWERS FROM VANDERBILT WAS DRAFTED BY CINCY #1 IN 'O1 & HAD AN AGENT NEGOTIATE FOR HIM. THE NCAA BUSTED HIM & HE HAD TO SIT OUT 6 GAMES HIS FRESHMAN YEAR.

THEY WILL NEVERNEVER EVER, I REPEAT NEVER EVER TAKE AWAY A PLAYERS ELIGIBILITY BECAUSE THEY FEAR THIS STUPID RULE BEING CHALLENGED IN COURT. THEY KNOW IT WOULD BE THROWN OUT IN A NEW YORK SECOND.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.