Skip to main content

This was asked by CanadianLefty:"Do you have any kind of relationship with your clients, or does that only come AFTER they sign with you. That is why you need to see the kids play. It's all about a relationship."

With that said, the average Agent with ANY kind of experience is probably at least 30+ y.o. Taking for granted that your kid is 18-21 y.o., what path should the "realtionship" take i.e. it seems CL & others are looking for a "buddy" type relationship. How many other 30+ y.o. "buddies" does your kid have?

Other professionals Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Investment Advisors etc. Do you expect them to be your kids' "buddy"? Isn't professional enough? If I want a buddy I'll go to the pound & get a dog. If I need a Dr., Lawyer etc. OR an Agent, give me the guy who's going to do the BEST job possible.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

VC

I dont think that is what he is implying-- a relationship can mean many things

I worked in the entertainment business as both an performer with and agent and then as a manager/agent for performers--- we had a special relationship in that we knew each other well, not buddy buddy, but could pick up the phone and talk when needed with full faith in each other.

As a coach I don't get a buddy buddy relatiuonship with my players and parents but we have that special relationship in most cases where they can pick up the phone and talk about whatever is on their mind,

My relationships with my lawyers, doctors etc are not buddy buddy but they are such that if I call I know I will get a call back ASAP.

If there is not that "special click" between the two parties then it will be tough to make the relationship work--

It takes more than just money and professionalism to do the BEST job possible as you put it.

TRhit
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TRhit:
VC

"I dont think that is what he is implying"

You're entitled to your opinion.

"I worked in the entertainment business as both an performer with and agent and then as a manager/agent for performers--- we had a special relationship in that we knew each other well, not buddy buddy, but could pick up the phone and talk when needed with full faith in each other."

Any time my clients need to talk to me they know they can reach me & they know that if they told me they had a problem as soon as they hang up the phone I'll be on it.

"As a coach I don't get a buddy buddy relatiuonship with my players and parents but we have that special relationship in most cases where they can pick up the phone and talk about whatever is on their mind"

Then you know that is something that grows over time & requires work from both sides. I've got the same thing with my clients.

"My relationships with my lawyers, doctors etc are not buddy buddy but they are such that if I call I know I will get a call back ASAP."

Same thing I have with my clients.

"If there is not that "special click" between the two parties then it will be tough to make the relationship work"

Don't know if I agree. Seen too many cases where professional relationships have worked without it.
Last edited {1}
This word "Relationship" is the vehicle so many unqualified, irresponsible and unscrupulous individuals invoke to dupe the prospective client into hiring them into service. Please, anyone that is in need of reviewing for an advisor this spring, investigate the industry to determine your needs before you interview. Without education you will be vulnerable to the person or group who befriends you and makes you feel special with this sense of confidence based on "Relationship" not worthiness.
Consider this scenario: You have just developed a disease and you need advice on this medical dilema. Are you going to look for expertise or opportunity for a Relationship? The relationship whether good, bad, or indifferent will come about due to the situation which brings the parties together and will probably be reflective of the outcome of that event or events. Selecting an Advisor should be finalized after thorough knowledge of what one needs and what someone else can offer.
Find ethical accomplished expertise. Don't be fooled by the "Relationship" act.
Vooodoooo,

quote:
Please, anyone that is in need of reviewing for an advisor this spring, investigate the industry to determine your needs before you interview.

I think PCX gave us some great advice.

I was disappointed that you didn't respond to bbscout's interview questions, because, as bbscout knows, I was observing......

And we have some articles on the home page that give us a good start.

But, Vooooooooodoooooooooo, would you post some web reference links for yourself and/or some of your competitors, so that I can observe for myself?
Golden,

It seems my post offended you. I didn't intend to offend anyone.

I am sorry that I did not have the facts straight.

Like bbscout, I would have liked to observe the 6-8 items, he mentioned. I was on the edge of my seat, too.

I'd really like to do a little homework on the issue of selecting an agent and I wouldn't be surprised if others are too.

bbscout asked a serious question and I have too.

If Voodoo chooses not to respond that's OK.

I choose not to post who my son is.

It seems that you have made the same choice.

Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by PCX:
This word "Relationship" is the vehicle so many unqualified, irresponsible and unscrupulous individuals invoke to dupe the prospective client into hiring them into service. Please, anyone that is in need of reviewing for an advisor this spring, investigate the industry to determine your needs before you interview. Without education you will be vulnerable to the person or group who befriends you and makes you feel special with this sense of confidence based on "Relationship" not worthiness.
Consider this scenario: You have just developed a disease and you need advice on this medical dilema. Are you going to look for expertise or opportunity for a Relationship? The relationship whether good, bad, or indifferent will come about due to the situation which brings the parties together and will probably be reflective of the outcome of that event or events. Selecting an Advisor should be finalized after thorough knowledge of what one needs and what someone else can offer.
Find ethical accomplished expertise. Don't be fooled by the "Relationship" act.

AMEN!
GoldenArm,
I have not noticed that you listed your sons name...or perhaps you already did and we have yet another incognito posting....just my observation laugh
Perhaps we can have a big hit off the golden arm and slide a piece down the base line biglaugh
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by GoldenArm'04:
Former Observer,

quote:
I was disappointed that you didn't respond to bbscout's interview questions, because, as bbscout knows, I was observing......

bbscout did not post any interview questions. He simply baited him in an effort to make him look bad.

He said that he had 8 of them (questions) and then expected VoodooChile to use his Kreskin abilities to determine what they were.

quote:
VoodooChile says, I'm on the edge of my seat... what are the other 5 questions?

bbscout says, voodoochile, Actually, I would rather see you list 6-8 things that you think would be most important to do as an agent if you wanted to represent a young man being drafted out of college. Sell yourself to us.

VoodooChile says, Not biting.

bbscout says, Not hired.

quote:
But, Vooooooooodoooooooooo, would you post some web reference links for yourself and/or some of your competitors, so that I can observe for myself?

Let us at least observe the facts.

Why don't you post who your son is in the thread on "Please Identify Your Son" so that we can observe. Or does posting info only apply to others?

Hi Goldenarm 04, I feel bad that you would post something saying I am baiting. I promise you, that there was no baiting involved, just asking some questions that did not get answered. The 8 questions that I have are for our own use, but I would venture to say that most experienced agents who are good at their job would answer 3-5 of the questions to my satisfaction during a nice casual talk about the player, without me even asking. The only guys I tried to make look bad were the hitters that I faced, and that did not always work out the way I wanted.

You don't have to be Kreskin, just an agent who may or may not be suited to represent a young player.

I interview players before I make the move to draft them too, and it is not baiting, just finding information that I feel is necessary.
quote:
Originally posted by voodoochile:

With that said, the average Agent with ANY kind of experience is probably at least 30+ y.o. Taking for granted that your kid is 18-21 y.o., what path should the "realtionship" take i.e. it seems CL & others are looking for a "buddy" type relationship. How many other 30+ y.o. "buddies" does your kid have?

Other professionals Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Investment Advisors etc. Do you expect them to be your kids' "buddy"? Isn't professional enough? If I want a buddy I'll go to the pound & get a dog. If I need a Dr., Lawyer etc. OR an Agent, give me the guy who's going to do the BEST job possible.

No, I'm not looking for a buddy/buddy relationship. I am looking for someone that has experience, and can advise him in what to expect at the various stages. I would expect him to be at least 30-35 +. I would hope that he has only one agent his entire (hopefully long and successful) career - that would mean we picked the right person. Giving advice to someone is a lot more than just getting them the most $.

The only point I was trying to make was that in order to give relevant advice, you need to know the person (ie. their strengths and weaknesses - personally and professionally), and that comes from building a relationship with them.

I am curious to know when you actually contact the players you are interested in representing, and how do you qualify them (ie. projected in top 5 rounds, top 7 rounds?). You said previously you don't see a lot of your clients play prior to signing them, so interested in your process.

Obviously, from your previous posts, you have been doing this for quite a while, so interested to know your thoughts on how you decide who you want to work for? What happens if you find out a highly rated player is a "nutcase", after you meet him? And, how do you compete with agents that are at the parks, watching the kids play?

"Give 'im the stinky cheese"
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CANADIANLEFTY:

No, I'm not looking for a buddy/buddy relationship. I am looking for someone that has experience, and can advise him in what to expect at the various stages. I would expect him to be at least 30-35 +. I would hope that he has only one agent his entire (hopefully long and successful) career - that would mean we picked the right person. Giving advice to someone is a lot more than just getting them the most $."

Agreed.

"The only point I was trying to make was that in order to give relevant advice, you need to know the person (ie. their strengths and weaknesses - personally and professionally), and that comes from building a relationship with them."

I agree it is essential to get to know the people you're working with. However, notice your own use of the term "building a relationship with them", this is something that occurs over time & not necessarily from going to a game to watch them. I have friends that I've known for 20 years& I'm still learning new things about what makes them tick.

My point was that going to watch a HS/College Baseball player play 5 or 10 or even 20 games doesn't tell me as much about him as time will teach me given the chance to learn what makes him tick.

"I am curious to know when you actually contact the players you are interested in representing
and how do you qualify them"

I rely on information from people I know in Scouting/Player Development as to who the prospects are. When they tell me about a particular player, I contact the player's family. My sources know I'm interested in good players regardless of where they will be drafted. The name of the game is MAJOR LEAGUE Baseball & my goal is to recruit players with the potential to play in the Majors. There are many players who weren't #1 draft picks in the Majors.

"You said previously you don't see a lot of your clients play prior to signing them, so interested in your process.'

Don't believe that's exactly what I said. I believe I said it wasn't essential. I TRY to see all my clients play before the draft but I won't spend too much time watching players who aren't committed to me. Why waste time on someone I may never work with? Also, I feel that my view of their talents is not as important as the input I get from my sources in Scouting/P.D. They're the ones who have the experience in evaluating talent.

"Obviously, from your previous posts, you have been doing this for quite a while, so interested to know your thoughts on how you decide who you want to work for? What happens if you find out a highly rated player is a "nutcase", after you meet him?"

The FIRST questions I ask when I'm told about a prospect are what kind of person is he, what kind of family does he come from. If someone is as you put it a "nutcase" or comes from a family of "nutcases" I want nothing to do with him regardless of how talented he may be.

I'm also not interested in players who don't get good grades. It tells me that either they're not too bright in which case I'll have to work twice as hard to achieve half the results or their families have let them slide in school because of their athletic ability in which case their priorities/view of the world is usually all screwed up. If I wanted to be a "shrink" or a social worker I would have gone into those fields. When my clients have problems, I'll do everything in my power to help but there's no sense taking on players with obvious "baggage".

"And, how do you compete with agents that are at the parks, watching the kids play?"

Not a problem for me. Because of what I have to offer, it's more a case of how they compete with me. I have a pretty high rate of success in recruiting.
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.