Skip to main content

Are 4 year schools in danger of having kids go 1 year and skipping to the bigs? How would that impact jucos if guys could go draft and follow to 4 year schools? Will that have all the really good talent going to college for a year and then re-enter the draft?

the Florida Bombers
"I love the HSBBW"
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

bighit,

Why do you want to compare ANYTHING that a baseball player does to ANYTHING that a college football player (who gets dismissed from his school's program after his freshman year) does?

You are talking apples and oranges. College football is the NFL's minor leagues- college baseball players go straight from college to the minor leagues(not the MLB).
Bighit, A player could do that and then have to spend a lot of money on lawyers and then maybe spend more on appeals. The NFL has already appealed the ruling by the Judge.

MLB would rather have players stay in college for four years. The 2-4 rule is something that the owners are considering, but they will have to get together with the MLPA before anything gets approved one way or another.
Clarrett's situation is bascially a coninuation of the suit Spencer Haywood brought many years ago to be allowed early entry into pro Basketball.

The judge's decision WILL be upheld & Clarrett WILL be allowed early entry to the NFL.

If a player decided to challenge MLB'S rule he would win on the same "restraint of trade" basis.

As to how long it would take & how much
it would cost, Clarrett started this action about 3 months ago so obviously it went through the system pretty quickly & the lawyer who handled the case just MADE his career so he probably cut Clarrett a deal or has an agreement to represent him and/or be paid after Clarrett collects from the NFL.
Big. I don't think it will have any impact on the MLB draft at all and this is why.

1) Draft and Follow: Team drafts coming out of HS and gets player to go to a JUCO.

2) JUCO's.. You can get drafted after your HS, Freshman year, sophomore year and, if you transfer to a 4-year college, junior and senior years also.

If the player feels like he want's to be drafted after his freshman season at a 4-year institution, he can always play his sophomore year at a JUCO and enter the draft. A player is, potentially, never more than 1 year away from the draft in baseball.
Dont bet on Clarrett going to the NFL so quickly

Did you see those pros licking their chops when they were interviewed in Hawaii ??

As one pro said "Let them all come out and play with the big boys!"

The Clarett kid wore down in his frosh college season , did not play this past season as a soph season and now he expects to be a stud in the pros--HA!!!!

Who is paying for all his lawyers?
Who is giving him advice?

He hasn't even shown the maturity to be a mature man on a college campus--lying on police reports et al

Bottom Line-- this ruling in my eyes won't effect the NFL much less baseball !!

Heres a what if for you to think about--the NFL does not challenge the ruling the owners all decide as a unit--we will show this kid and do not draft him --who gets the last laugh then---------

TRhit
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
Dont bet on Clarrett going to the NFL so quickly

Did you see those pros licking their chops when they were interviewed in Hawaii ??

As one pro said "Let them all come out and play with the big boys!"

The Clarett kid wore down in his frosh college season , did not play this past season as a soph season and now he expects to be a stud in the pros--HA!!!!

Who is paying for all his lawyers?
Who is giving him advice?

He hasn't even shown the maturity to be a mature man on a college campus--lying on police reports et al

Bottom Line-- this ruling in my eyes won't effect the NFL much less baseball !!

Heres a what if for you to think about--the NFL does not challenge the ruling the owners all decide as a unit--we will show this kid and do not draft him --who gets the last laugh then---------

TRhit

Clarett when he wins a lawsuit for more $$$ than he could have made as a player.
VC

Did you see the experienced pros licking their chops when they heard the news-- the Clarett kid played a portion of one college year as a frosh and wore down then--- he hasnt played in nearly 18 months now-- wait til he gets hit by a few linebackers going full tilt--one guy simply said "Bring them all on!"

Do you think a kid his age is ready for the bigtime mentally and physically?

added--funny --- there is no byline on the article

TRhit
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
VC

Did you see the experienced pros licking their chops when they heard the news-- the Clarett kid played a portion of one college year as a frosh and wore down then--- he hasnt played in nearly 18 months now-- wait til he gets hit by a few linebackers going full tilt--one guy simply said "Bring them all on!"

Do you think a kid his age is ready for the bigtime mentally and physically?

TRhit

They said the same thing about Spencer Haywood, Darryl Dawkins & some skinny kid from the U. of Massachusetts by the name of Julius Erving who all turned out pretty well.

Bottom line, not everyone who is a great athlete belongs on a college campus. As has been the case in the NBA, NHL & MLB there will be successes & failures with HS kids going to the NFL. At least the failures will have more to show for their marketable skills than room, board, books, tuition & fees.
VC

The more you post the more you amaze me !!!!

Basketball in now way compares to football in talking about a 17/18 year old coming out of HS. A 6 ft 10 inch HS center can make things happen on a 5 man team and even there they need help--ie LeBron James

In football it is a 22 man team and much more physical.

And then we have the aspect of mental maturity-- most kids out of HS are just that --kids out of HS--they lose the entire aspect of social life maturity because they cannot hang out with their team mates in the normal places that pro players hang out.

TRhit
Bighit

I know this has nothing to do with the Clarett situation, but I have limited time to visit this site.

How is your son doing. I've kept up a little bit, but I've read he is a monster(A compliment).

The last time I saw your son was 2 years ago in Jupiter. He pitched against us ( On Deck O's)...and you could tell then how impressive he is.
He is hanging in there. Has signed with New Mexico. He is very happy to have done so. He is throwing pretty hard. Still is inconsistent in my opinion. Learning his breaking balls and doint that well.

I got to wath the Ondeck team at Jupiter against the East Cobb buzz saw. Great group. I was rooting for you guys.

Pro scouts are sniffing around, but we will see. Just to be looked at is an honor. I have no idea what will happen.

Thanks for asking. I wish that I could have met you, but I was not there.

the Florida Bombers
"I love the HSBBW"
Is the Clarett kid misguided or what ??

He hasnt played football in nearly 18 months and then he shows up at the combine overweight and out of shape.

I guess he expects to be drafted on the basis of the partial season he had at OSU as a frosh.

Talk about immature and foolish

No !! What he is doing won't impact baseball-- baseball players are smarter than that

TRhit
Last edited {1}
"baseball players are smarter than that"

TRhit[/QUOTE]

How can you make a blanket statement like that?
It is beyond idiotic.

In my 30 years "in the game" I've known some kids that were dumb enough not to be allowed out in public without a keeper.

Won't name names but some of them were great players, some were washouts in "A" ball, the one thing they had in common was that they were so stupid their hair hurt.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.