Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

NJBB:

Back in 2001 we made two out of three trips. The Reds, Cardinals and Marlins all invited him to the pro Parks.

The Reds sent a letter a few weeks before the draft and Cardinals and Marlins called us through a scout. The work outs were all within three weeks of the draft.

In St. Louis they ran the 60 yard dash, took infield and outfield, catchers threw down for pop times, pitchers threw in the bull pens and were clocked, and then the position players took bp. In Cincinatti the players hit live pitching but everything else was about the same. We took in a ball game and had a good time.

My son was one of just a few high schoolers and the rest were JUCO or 4 year college players. I think there were about 25 players in all at both places. Didn't get to make it to Florida for the Marlins workout.

This is something you don't want to miss. I had goose bumps watching my son work out with these teams. He is now a college Junior, Here we go again. Wink He has met with a few clubs and took some tests.

Don't ever get exited till they call your name during the draft because anything can happen. You just set yourself up to get diappointed if you expect to much. You may have out priced yourself or they feel you are commited to going to college and they don't want to risk a higher pick on high school players who may not sign.

Good luck to all! Big Grin

Last edited {1}
Twoseamer,

In 2003,the NCAA did allow major league teams to pay for the expenses of the high school player for a pre-draft workout. Having said that, some teams won't, or some will reimburse the player if they are drafted by that team. Other teams will offer to pay and make the travel arrangements for the player. I haven't checked the NCAA website "frequently asked questions" for this year, so my info might be dated. Take care.
MEMORANDUM
March 11, 2004

TO: NCAA Divisions I, II and III Directors of Athletics.

NCAA Director of Agent, Gambling and Amateurism Activities.

Sandy Parrott
Certification Coordinator for Basketball and Baseball.

SUBJECT: Reviewing NCAA Eligibility — Baseball Draft.

The Major League Baseball first-year player draft is scheduled for June 7-9, 2004, and many prospective and enrolled student-athletes will be facing difficult decisions in deciding whether to participate in collegiate or professional baseball. The following questions and answers have been developed to assist the athletes, their parents and NCAA schools in the decision-making process. The following questions and answers have been formatted to apply directly to the individual who has been drafted:

Question No. 8: I have heard that I can receive an expense-paid tryout to the city of a major league team. Is this true?

Answer: Yes, but only if you have not yet enrolled in a collegiate institution (including a two-year college). In this regard, NCAA rules do permit, prior to collegiate enrollment, a student-athlete to receive an expense-paid tryout with a major league team, provided such a visit does not exceed 48 hours and any payment or compensation in connection with the visit was not in excess of actual and necessary expenses. Thus, you may receive an expense-paid visit from a professional team, provided you participate in tryout activities that allow that club to evaluate you. You may receive such a visit either prior to or subsequent to the Major League Baseball draft. Additionally, you may try out at your own expense with that team for any length of time, provided you cease your tryout when you become a full-time student at any NCAA school.
You honest think a MLB team is gonna pay for 30 players travel costs to attend a pre draft workout , when there is 30-1 chance against that team actually drafting them. Most MLB teams have no idea who will actually show up for a pre draft, All the top players are being asked to attend every teams MLB pre draft workouts

The local player was called by the Red Sox the day before the draft to fly to Boston and get work out by the Scouting director, GM and owner of the Red Sox. The players family paid for the travel costs, not the Red Sox, when he was drafted by the teamin the 2nd RD and signed then they reimbused him then. If someone else drafted him, the dad would have been footing the bill.
Last edited by Dibble
Voodoo
Hmm 30 years, that would be since 1974 or before free agency started at the MLB level.

Quiz for you Voodoo( agent quiz)

1)who was the first player that challenged the reserve clause

2) 1st player to hire an agent

3) First free agent on open market

4) name the player and agent that caused all the loophole free agents in 1996

1)who was the first player that challenged the reserve clause . Curt Flood

2) 1st player to hire an agent. Mr Coffee Joe Dimaggio hired a Hollywood agent and held out during spring training

3) First free agent on open market . Catfish Hunter, Charlie Finley broke a his contract by not sending $50,000 to Catfishes Mom. Went on the open market after winning the 1974 Cy Young and got 3.5 million for 5 years with the Yankees. Dave Mc Nally and Andy Messersmith went through the courts and gave all the players the rights to free agency when their contract was up

Bobby Seay, with Scott Boras help learned of a loophole where the teams had to submit a written minor league contract withing 5 days of drafting you, 20 teams hmmm forgot, 5 players took advantage of it
quote:
Originally posted by Dibble:

1)who was the first player that challenged the reserve clause . Curt Flood

2) 1st player to hire an agent. Mr Coffee Joe Dimaggio hired a Hollywood agent and held out during spring training

3) First free agent on open market . Catfish Hunter, Charlie Finley broke a his contract by not sending $50,000 to Catfishes Mom. Went on the open market after winning the 1974 Cy Young and got 3.5 million for 5 years with the Yankees. Dave Mc Nally and Andy Messersmith went through the courts and gave all the players the rights to free agency when their contract was up

Bobby Seay, with Scott Boras help learned of a loophole where the teams had to submit a written minor league contract withing 5 days of drafting you, 20 teams hmmm forgot, 5 players took advantage of it

Quiz for you Dibble:

1) How many wannabes does it take to change a lightbulb?

2) If a car carrying a wannabe is heading west @ 50 mph & hits a tree that is 20' tall & 6' around, how long will it take before I care?
The teams can pay for the trip but the MLB offices tell them not to. I would be adamant that they pay if my son was going. Do not buy the line we will pay if we draft and sign him.

Yes PB Staff it is me and I have a new one for you. John Potterson is the best HS power prospect in the 2004 draft! This kids hits the ball like no other HS kid I have EVER seen. Including Kotchman and the like.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.