Skip to main content

My son has received indications from a number of scouts and at least one national crosschecker that he is likely a first day choice between rounds 10 and 20. Anyone have experience on whether an agent would be useful for him--and us? Comments concerning the benefits from representation in those rounds would be greatly appreciated.

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Honestly, No. The only time you REALLY need an agent is to sign a Big League contract. All cotracts coming out of the draft are the same minor league deal, just have different signing bonuses. Granted some teams do give Big League contracts to kids they draft, but that is rare... i.e. Delmon Young who was the 1st pick. The draft is going more and more to slot money anyway. Agents are great, but why give them a piece of the action you would get anyway, especially if you don't sign for alot of money?
quote:
Originally posted by Hoss74:
Honestly, No. The only time you REALLY need an agent is to sign a Big League contract. All cotracts coming out of the draft are the same minor league deal, just have different signing bonuses. Granted some teams do give Big League contracts to kids they draft, but that is rare... i.e. Delmon Young who was the 1st pick. The draft is going more and more to slot money anyway. Agents are great, but why give them a piece of the action you would get anyway, especially if you don't sign for alot of money?

Right, don't get any input from a professional before you negotiate and/or sign a contract. That way a scout who has signed dozens of players and an organization who has signed thousands of players will have TOTAL advantage over you & can sucker you into the best deal for their team that they can.

If you get a cavity, will you drill & fill your own tooth? Why bother consulting a Dentist? What can his training and experience possibly have to offer you?

BTW Hoss how many Professional Baseball contracts have you negotiated in the last 5 years?
I didn't know sarcasm was professional for a so called "agent". Your point is taken, of course you are going to take that stand because you claim to be an agent. Tell me this, if I was going to be taken in the 5th round, that is probably anywhere from $150,000-$250,000 give or take some depending on a team. Teams when it gets down to lower rounds tend to stick to slot money, correct? Why would I give you 2 or 3% of money I will get anyway? Now if someone was going to go in the first round or 2nd round they would probably need an agent. But I just dont see someone in the 20th round needing one. All Minor League deals are the same.Its just stupid to give someone easy money like that for doing nothing, money you worked hard for your whole life. Voodoo I was just giving my opinion, who do you think you are, Scott Boras or something? Im curious, where did you go to school? Did you ever play baseball? Do you have a law degree? Help me to understand why I know nothing, and you know everything.
I can think of several reasons to need an agent all the way through the top 20 rounds. If there have been injuries in the past, then there are some special concerns. I believe that an agent is valuable in making sure that the club that drafts the player and the player get off to a good start in a way other than the team saying, "Well you signed for what we offered and we are happy now". Everyone talks about slot money, How do you know what that is if the guys 5 spots ahead of you and 5 spots behind you have not signed yet? A good agent can take advantage of the timing to help them figure out the slot. Big Grin

To focus only on "money" and not the fit and history of player development of the particular club, is short sided in my opinion. I know that agents are perceived as only money conscious. The advice I have gotten has been helpful. The college coach has his agenda, the summer coach has his, the hs coach has his, the agent has his, a smart parent will use all resources to help guide his son through the process. JMO Also as issues arise in the future it is my belief that having an intermediary to speak for you is invaluable and keeps emotion out of the equation. A player will need to continue to get guidance as he grows as a player and it can be helpful to have someone around to give that advice who has seen the pitfalls. JMO

I have found the advice to be invaluable. With all due respect to the hsbbw, it is a great vehicle for the college process, but it has lacked some valuable information in the draft process. I find some views parroted on this site that I have found to not be the case when actually dealing with the scouts and scouting directors. JMO This site does a great job of getting information out there and hopefully I will have more to add after the process completes.
Isn't that what I said?
quote:
I have found the advice to be invaluable. With all due respect to the hsbbw, it is a great vehicle for the college process, but it has lacked some valuable information in the draft process. I find some views parroted on this site that I have found to not be the case when actually dealing with the scouts and scouting directors. JMO This site does a great job of getting information out there and hopefully I will have more to add after the process completes.

I tend to agree with Big, he had some really valuable things to say. A smart person takes what knowledge they can from the different people they are dealing with and then processes that information and decides which direction to head in. It's their choice.
I agree with TR that more parents come here for advice for college, only a select few might eventually need advice for the draft. I agree with VC, if they have questions they should seek out a professional for help, no matter what the circumstance. And Hoss has a right to his opinion just like anyone else.
I don't think anyone would have an argument with that.
Some people just don't know where to go for proper advice, so they come here.
What is happening more and more often is that when someone asks for advice and if by chance a person responding gives his or her opinion (for whatever reason) and another one disagrees the next thing you know is that 4-5 pages of arguments follow, lots of them in the form of attack against each other, sometimes the question is never really answered.
I know that there are some here that know more than others, some parents have been through the process (college or draft) and have valuable information to share. Others are HS, college, LL coachs, scouts,lawyers, former players and advisor/agents. Be helpful, be courteous answer the question the best you can, don't hide because you have some nasty things to say. Say them in a constructive way, no one would criticize anyone for that. Remember some are coming here because they might not know where else to go.
People tend to lose their credibility when they show improper behavior and I think this goes for all of us. Thee is one webster in particular, as an example who has identified himself only as a father of a college player who has been through the college recruiting and draft process and although I realize his situation was similar yet unigue, he is courteous and respectful and always identifies his posts as his own opinions as a parent. To me he is one of the most credible here on this site because of the way he handles himself. There are others and I commend you for your efforts.
In repsect for Bob, the creator of this website, why can't we all just try to HELP one another in the best way we know how. If you find that another webster has given what you feel is the correct advice, help to clarify. If it is perhaps the wrong advice help them to understand your position, why you feel you are able to provide the correct information. Everyone should act as they would here as they would in the real world, if you can't, don't post. I shall follow my own advice as well.
In answer to your question Infielddad, you may wish to seek the advice of a professional or two before you proceed. I just am suggesting that you do your own homework before so that when the time comes you can make your own decision as to what course to follow.
TY for listening everyone!
An agent or advisor, if you are lucky to find the right one, can be well worth the 2-3% one of the posters implied was the going rate. I have had former players sign contracts with and without the assistance of an agent. We have a licensed agent here in MD, been in the business about 7 years, who works his tail off for his clients. He frequently talks to the clubs on behalf of his clients, assists in getting his players benefits and endorsements, and provides a great line of communication for the player in understanding his future with the club. Good Luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.