Skip to main content

My last post stirred up another reason why I think Steve has such good results. I think that because he teaches kids how to hit so well that they can then learn from and feed off of each other. I know ive picked up alot from Steve just by watching how his other hitters hit. Its like he really does leave a little piece of his knowledge with each one of his students.

It doesnt get any better than feeling like you've improved everytime you hit. Thats what you get with steve
I'm thinking of starting my 10 year old w/Phil Apostle because of the strength workouts I saw him putting a student through. It seems you have some first hand knowledge of Phil, and feel he's a good hitting instructor; could you elaborate?

quote:
Originally posted by K13:
I agree, there are many outstanding hitting instructors in the area. Steve Hayward is great. Also a big fan of Phil Apostle at the StrikeZone in Glenview.
For those of you still looking for a hitting coach this winter, I highly recommend Joe Mazzuca.

Joe is out of Holy Cross,Creighton and NIU. He was signed by the Florida Marlins in the 11th round. He is currently starring in 1 of Italy's top leagues.

You'll love this guy,the price is right and you'll get excellent results.

Joe can be reached at (708)456-9650.
Back in the early 90's, Jack Perconte was the only one to give me a chance to give lesson's. I will always be thankful to him for that,plus I learned so much from Jack. I wish him luck, the White Sox or Cubs would be smart to get him to work with the young kids in rookie and class A and teach them the right way to play the game, like Jack did.
It hasn't become official yet but I believe CoachB25 will enter the private sector as a partner in a baseball operations. Don't know how good he is but he sure is ugly!

I have agreed to give a one day free clinic (approximately 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours) on hitting at a new facility in one of our communities. I've been offered a position as a partner there but will wait to see the response. More on the date to follow. I might just amaze some of you with my ignorance if you're able to attend.
Last edited by CoachB25
I have not read the pbr so I don't know what it said about Mick. I have watched Sorce for many years and he always impressed me with his coaching abilities as his teams were funadamentally sound and all his players played the game the way most of us would like to see it played.
That being said I thought Mick did his hitting lessons at Strikes with an instuctor named Steve Hayward, I don't know if he hit with sam also but he was at Strikes almost every Sunday last winter.
Last edited by lineshot
Lineshot,

With the happenings regarding Prairie Gravel, Sam Sorce is now coaching for the Bergen Beach, NY Midwest team. I hope those players know just how fortunate they are to have Mr. Sorce as their head coach. He can instruct one day and use his experience to turn a loss into a victory on game day. I've read posts on this board from Mick Doyle giving credit for his development to Sam Sorce. I'm sure that the rest of that PG team would do likewise.
Rosy,

Yes I heard that bergen beach (don't know anything about them) has Sam coaching for them. They are lucky to have him, having watched him and coached against him many times I have to say he is one of the best. I am sure Mick learned many thngs from him in his development as a ballplayer.
That being said I did watch him hit at Strikes every Sunday during the winter of 05-06. This is not a knock on Sam it is just pointing out the fact that it usually takes more than one coach to develop players. Most importantly it takes the drive, dedication, and desire of the Player to continue to improve his skills at this game.
quote:
Originally posted by lineshot:
Rosy,

Yes I heard that bergen beach (don't know anything about them) has Sam coaching for them. They are lucky to have him, having watched him and coached against him many times I have to say he is one of the best. I am sure Mick learned many thngs from him in his development as a ballplayer.
That being said I did watch him hit at Strikes every Sunday during the winter of 05-06. This is not a knock on Sam it is just pointing out the fact that it usually takes more than one coach to develop players. Most importantly it takes the drive, dedication, and desire of the Player to continue to improve his skills at this game.

Yes, we are fortunate to have Sam coach for us! He and Pete Nazos worked the boys out all Winter sometimes as much as three times a week. Some of the boys including my son have also had the opportunity to work with Steve Heyward as well. Chicagoland players are fortunate to have coaches of this caliber to guide them in the right direction, on and off the field!
Hey Clutch, Just checking in to say Hi......

I saw Steve the other night, He is doing well and is getting around pretty well considering his injury. He is back to teaching HITTING, the thing he does best. His phone was ringing every five minutes with people wanting to hit with him. MAN THAT GUY IS POPULAR! Can all these people be wrong?
I have biased opinion, but the old Ballyard academy, now Fastball USA has some awesome hitting coaches.

Bob Prokopowitz - Former NCAA Batting Champ,Phillies Scout

Mike Ryan - Featured Speaker at the IHSA Baseball Coaches Clinic on hitting in 2006. Mariners Scout, author of the book "Hitting For Success".

Mike Vavrek - Formerly with the Rockies Organization

Billy Walsh - Formerly with UIC Flames

Plus a lot of new, young coaches who communicate well.

Instructions are Measured for Improvement:
* Swing Technique/Line Drive Consistency
* Ball Exit Speed
* Bat Speed
* Timing Consistency

It's most certainly different the average lesson.

www.fastballusa.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.