Skip to main content

Curt Flood's basball career, for all intents and
purposes, was over.

Flood, realizing he was at the end of his baseball career at the end of the 1969 season because his baseball skills had diminished, Flood did not want to play in front of the somewhat harsh fans in the 'City of Brotherly Love'. Flood then sued Kuhn and MLB owners and hoping for a cash settlement.

A Well Paid Slave? (as Snyder titles his book).
Save that for another day.

Bottom Line: Flood did NOT sacrifice his career becauses his abilities to compete in the big leagues, due to aging, were fini.

The reserve clause was struck down after pitchers Andy Messersmith and Dave McNally played for one season without a contract, when an arbitrator ruled they could become free agents.

Let's simply agree that we have opposing view points on such matters.
Last edited by Bear
This is the first time I've read this thread....

My son is a client of Scott Boras...

As was said earlier he represents the BEST interests of his clients.... PERIOD...

There was never a time where my son did not have 100% control of his final decision. He was counseled on what was happening... and the Boras aganecy has really done an excellent job in my opinion.

Its not always money... but yet everyone makes that the bottom line... If you care to look my son had the lowest bonus of any 1st round pick this year... But without strong representation I shutter to think what might have happened as we quickly found out MLB is a business...
sdbb

i would first say congratulations to you and your son. Boras doesn't represent just anybody.

i think we or most have 2 different thoughts. a fan's perspective,parents perspecive.

as a fan we hate that he prices our team out of bidding for a player we need.

as a parent we love what he does for our son's baseball carreer's.

that said i'm a sox fan,they seem to print money now. so that isn't an issue.

my son has a different agent, so that isn't an issue either.

but i see both sides.
quote:
Let's face it: There's not one of us out there who, if we had the chance to make the A-Rod deal for ourselves or our sons, wouldn't do it. (Go ahead, tell me how you'd take $10m instead of $27m "for the good of the game.")

It would not be for the good of the game, but I would rather my son play for $10M and be part of the team than $27M and have a bullseye on him based on expectations that are unachievable.

Now, that does not mean I would not consider having Scott as an agent, it just means what is important might be more than just money.

If you look at the Texeria signing this year, it seemes that Scott took care of the two things that were Mark's key pieces:

1) Sign with a team on the East Coast.
2) Get the best deal.
Last edited by 2014_Lefty_Dad
quote:
Originally posted by EC_Dad:

It would not be for the good of the game, but I would rather my son play for $10M and be part of the team than $27M and have a bullseye on him based on expectations that are unachievable.

With that statement I am assuming that if your player got a 100% baseball scholarship he should turn it down because he may not live up to expectations?

I am sure that you all realize that whatever a teams pays for a MLB player might come back triple to them? How much money do you think teams made off of Arod's likeness and name alone?
I can understand the Kirby Pucket approach, that is, turning down the extra million or so available elsewhere to get yourself into a situation where your total life experience is more enjoyable.

But everything has its price. you'd have to be an idiot to take $10m if $27m were on the table. For one thing, for all you know the $10m team would trade you next week to the team that had been willing to pay you the $27m. (Better get that no-trade clause in there.)

Few players ever get even one shot at free agent money. For those who do, you can't blame them for cashing in on the fruits of their years of labor. Not one of us would handle it differently if it were our (or our son's) money. It's easy to sit on a web site and claim otherwise, but who's kidding whom?
The situation is usually not as extreme as 10 vs 27 million. It's more like $24M vs $27M. For the $3M difference, when the #s are that high, would you rather play for the Rangers or the Yankees? I say Yankees. So did A Rod after a couple of years in obscurity and when he had a second chance last year.

Nothing personal to all you Ranger fans.
Well, the number of guys who can command $20+m can be counted on one hand.

A-Rod has pretty much followed the money. He took $25.2m/yr. to go to Texas from Seattle, and it left the team so unable to pay anyone else they languished in last place the whole time he was there, even though he put up big numbers individually. The move to NYY was great for him because it put him in a larger media market where he can pull in bigger off-field money as well. Plus, the Yankees left the Rangers holding the bag on a lot of his salary. When A-Rod opted out of his contract, he got only a little more, but it cost the Yankees a whole lot more because they lost their contribution from the Rangers. It was a public relations debacle for a guy who is already not the darling of NYY fans he'd like to be, so in my book he blew it. He probably cost himself more in off-field money than he got in additional Yankees salary.

But with the paychecks he gets, I doubt he feels any pain.
My point was not intended to be that if a team offered my son $27M, I would say "No, just give us $10M." My point was, I think there are other things that enter into the equation that complete the experience besides money.

I just think that playing on a team where you are part of it, and not pushed out front because of what you make has to be a lot more enjoyable to play with.

It just seems that being able to say "I am the # highest paid player in the pro's." has become the important factor.

I do agree, however, that the teams can merchandise and get their money back and then some. It is because we pay $100 for a jersey or $40 for a hat.

One additional thing that has always bugged me. How is that no one ever brings up the "Cost of Living" difference between some of these teams. If I am looking at Jobs between Atlanta and NY, I would have to make twice in NY to afford what I do in ATL. What does that not equate to these contracts?
Well, it might cost a lot more from your and my perspective. But once you're making millions, the extra cost is a pittance in a relative sense. Also, just because a guy plays in NYC doesn't mean he lives there. He may be living in an apartment and maintaining a residence elsewhere. Most of them are socking away money for the future, when they will live where ever they darned well please!
Many MLB players reside in states other than where they play, mostly for tax purposes. They don't have to worry about cost of living in certain areas they get lots of bucks for meal money. Smile

Believe it or not there are some players who will give up extra money because they wish to play for specific teams and remain with teams as long as they can. Not all MLB players want to jump from team to team, year to year.

I understand your point EC, but think of it this way. This is their job and most people want the most money they can from their bosses. I did hear something today though, that haggling over a few million has become insulting for many because of our economy. Do your business and do it quietly, and with that I agree. A some point it becomes distasteful.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.