Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your load of your hands, you are getting your hands too low and too far away from your body.  You are a little disconnected at that point.  Top hand should be coiled like youre about to punch someone.  Legs.  Personally I think you have most of your weight on your front foot way too much and too long. It seems as if your rear leg just gets dragged through the process instead of being used to explode your hips open. I would like to see you load on your back leg more and then explode on the ball with the legs after you get hand and upper torso load.  You seem like you have good hands just the rest of the body is neutral with hands or disconnected.  Remember not all bodies have the same power zone, and swing types, but there are some generalizations.  Heaven forbid we try to teach you to swing like Hunter Pence even though he has had great success with that swing.  But Hunter's athleticism is off the charts to make that work.  I would work on the these things by hitting deflated basketballs and soccer balls off a tee topped with a plunger.  HIt of the tee into an open field and pay attention to feedback of hands at impact and also watch how far ball flies and its rotation.  This simple drill exposes so many things, secret is flat hands at impact and leg drive.

I agree on the  lower half as well, a bit out front.  Simply squaring the (right) back foot will aid in keeping the knee inside the ankle and keeping the weight back, known as negative movement.

He tends to "pull off" the ball, a by product of standing up in the swing (very common in younger players with muscular imbalances, core strength in this case) . Staying through the ball will create drive by connecting the lower half, known as positive movement.

Loosening the grip,especially the top hand, will in help increase quickness as well.

Swings are built and you work on "holes" in the swing just as much as the strengths, IMO at some point the athlete simply takes over. Sometimes you just have to slow it down, hitting ball after ball has very little positive impact. Every swing has a purpose and approach.

Fine looking kid, good luck this season!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.