Skip to main content

I'm looking out at the snow in a suburb of Minneapolis and wondering how long it will be until baseball fields are ready for the local HS teams.  6 weeks?

My baseball player graduated from HS in 2004 and hasn't played baseball now since college, but I still can feel the anticipation that started to grow at this time of year. Usually at some point in Feb. the snow would start to melt down so that we could see some grass, and I'd start to get hopeful that it was really going away. Maybe local fields would be ready for the first scheduled game - and halfway decent for March practices! But usually there was at least one more big snowfall that caused a few games to be postponed.

How about you?  What level does your son play at now, and when is his first practice and game scheduled?

Julie

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Julie,

I'm in the Phoenx area and we don't have any snow. In the 25 years I've lived here, I've seen snow twice. Once with a few flurries around '89 and again last year when we actually had snow on the ground for a few minutes. We all took pictures of it with our phones, but it looked too much like hail to be believable.

My son's college practice in Tucson was "snowed out" this afternoon, which is likely a first but up here in Phoenix, we're staying above the 40F mark.

My thoughts are with those back in the northeast, especially my native NH. I hear 2 1/2 feet from NEMO was par with gale force winds, reminding me of the storm of '78. Back then we named them by year, not by Disney characters.

Originally Posted by MN-Mom:

I'm looking out at the snow in a suburb of Minneapolis and wondering how long it will be until baseball fields are ready for the local HS teams.  6 weeks?

My baseball player graduated from HS in 2004 and hasn't played baseball now since college, but I still can feel the anticipation that started to grow at this time of year. Usually at some point in Feb. the snow would start to melt down so that we could see some grass, and I'd start to get hopeful that it was really going away. Maybe local fields would be ready for the first scheduled game - and halfway decent for March practices! But usually there was at least one more big snowfall that caused a few games to be postponed.

How about you?  What level does your son play at now, and when is his first practice and game scheduled?

Julie

My son is at a DII JUCO (PHCC in Martinsville, VA).  They've been practicing since early January and the first games (doubleheader) were this past Sunday.  They split - won game 1 2-0 and lost game 2 4-2.  To my surprise, my son (a freshman position player 1B) actually played.  He was the DH in game one - was 0-1 with a walk, sac fly and a RBI.  Game 2 he started at 1B and went 1-3 at the plate.

Our HS has tryouts starting next Monday with the first game in early March.  Not much snow here (east central VA) this winter unlike my son's sophomore HS year where they had to have tryouts in the parking lot due to 10" snow on the field.

My son plays 13u AAA travel ball, we've been inside now 2-3x per week since November.  It's getting old but we have less than a month now before heading to our first spring tournament in ATL. 

Pitching batting practice has gotten pretty nerve wracking, I wish I had a nickle for every near miss rocket that has flown past me just missing me or hitting the upright of the L screen. 

March can't come fast enough!!

Snow melted quickly today in the Minneapolis area at 50 degrees! I'm seeing lots of brownish grass out there.

Monday is the Twins' home opener and it sounds like Target Field is in good shape, but it will be very cold for players and fans (around the freezing mark).  Vance Worley, son of the HS Baseball Web's DB2BMom, will take the mound against Justin Verlander for opening day.  Best wishes to Vance and the Twins!!

Julie

Wow!  And I'm complaining about our weather.  Locally, most HS teams are just over halfway through the season. 

My son's DII JUCO plays their final weekend series this coming weekend (4th-5th),  The regional tournament starts 5 days later.  To date they've played 46 games.  56 games were on the original schedule.

Well, the seven week season has been compressed to 3 weeks but they'll manage to get almost all of their originally scheduled games in.  This week they have games M, Tu (double header), We, Fri, Sa with a practice on Thursday.  The next two weeks look to be about the same.  My son (2016) is doing well and getting use to being a catcher.  So far he's managed to play first, third, left field, right field, pitch, and catch.  In joking with his coach he suggested that coach put him in for an inning at 2nd, short, and center field. 2nd makes sense, the others not so much (son is somewhat built like Prince Fielder).  Coach laughed and said maybe.  It may be a crazy season, but the kids are having fun and working hard.

What a crazy season.  First few weeks all the games were cancelled and practice was inside.  Now with decent weather it's six games per week (1DH so they're playing 5 days) and on the day's they've had scheduled for practice it's rained - so no practice. Weather has been fun too.  Saturday it was mid 30's at game time, windy, and they had some sleet. Monday's game was in the 70's. Yesterday it was 98 at game time, and today it will be in the 70's.  Got to love it. Son (2016) is now batting 4th, get's on base almost every at bat (hit, walk, or error - it's all good), steals 2nd most of the time (good secondary lead and great jump - he's not fast), and scored the game winner last night from 1st base.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.