Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On the workout side....I would focus your efforts on squats, deadlifts, and power cleans, assuming you have someone who can help you with PROPER and SAFE technique of all the lifts.  Combine that with some sprinting intervals and you should be good to go.  Feel free to send me a message if you have questions - I coach strength and conditioning focused on baseball players.

Westley, I see little to no load.  Let me see if I can get this to work:

What you see in video like this is an excellent example of load for both the bottom and top half.  See the knee action of the lead leg?  Watch how subtle the back hip is loaded?  Notice on the top half the batter "pulling the bow back?"  Notice the batter "walking away from the hands as the hands pull the bow back while, at the same time, the hitter strides?  I'd give some of this a whirl and if I were to give you a hitting lesson, this is what we would do. 

Last edited by CoachB25
CoachB25 posted:

What you see in video like this is an excellent example of load for both the bottom and top half.  See the knee action of the lead leg?  Watch how subtle the back hip is loaded?  Notice on the top half the batter "pulling the bow back?"  Notice the batter "walking away from the hands as the hands pull the bow back while, at the same time, the hitter strides?  I'd give some of this a whirl and if I were to give you a hitting lesson, this is what we would do. 

I agree with this, all back all forward no separation.

standballdad posted:
CoachB25 posted:

I agree with this, all back all forward no separation.

What can I do to creat separation? Any drills? 

CoachB25 posted:

How can I create separation? Any advice on how to do that? 

Wesleythecacther posted:

Here is video of me swinging at a low pitch. This was from this weekend's tournament, something didn't feel right. 

When you stride forward, you should coil inward with both hips and both shoulders (they will begin to uncoil just before toe touch).

Your shoulders are properly coiling in (and staying that way too long until toe touch), and your hips are not coiling inward at all.  Hence, the 'no load', 'no separation' comments.

Further, you could stride on your back leg slightly further until the back knee almost straightens (which turns the knee). (Keep the back heel down)

Last edited by SultanofSwat
SultanofSwat posted:
Wesleythecacther posted:

Here is video of me swinging at a low pitch. This was from this weekend's tournament, something didn't feel right. 

When you stride forward, you should coil inward with both hips and both shoulders (they will begin to uncoil just before toe touch).

Your shoulders are properly coiling in (and staying that way too long until toe touch), and your hips are not coiling inward at all.  Hence, the 'no load', 'no separation' comments.

Further, you could stride on your back leg slightly further until the back knee almost straightens (which turns the knee). (Keep the back heel down)

I understand. My shoulders are staying closes too long? Also, what do you mean by I could stride on my back leg slightly further back? Thanks for the help! 

Wesleythecacther posted:

1) My shoulders are staying closes too long?

2) Also, what do you mean by I could stride on my back leg slightly further back? Thanks for the help! 

1) They are. However, when you coil your hips inward, this will probably stop.

2) Stride slightly further toward the pitcher (maybe a couple of inches). But, only using your back leg, don't try to 'reach' with the front leg.

SultanofSwat posted:
Wesleythecacther posted:

1) My shoulders are staying closes too long?

2) Also, what do you mean by I could stride on my back leg slightly further back? Thanks for the help! 

1) They are. However, when you coil your hips inward, this will probably stop.

2) Stride slightly further toward the pitcher (maybe a couple of inches). But, only using your back leg, don't try to 'reach' with the front leg.

1) okay, got that. Will do. 

2) What you mean by that is that I should be in a way shifting my weight slightly forward. So I should be moving my front foot forward and my back knee will also move toward the pitcher.

Move out with your rear leg in control, let the swing shift your weight. Get the sequencing right and other things will start to fall into place. The video that COACHB25 posted is very good. Look at how the hitter is controlling his movement forward with his rear leg and as he is going forward his hands are going back (separation). The front foot gets weighted from the swing not before. You can practice this in a mirror (sequencing) and then take it to a tee and then BP.        

standballdad posted:

Move out with your rear leg in control, let the swing shift your weight. Get the sequencing right and other things will start to fall into place. The video that COACHB25 posted is very good. Look at how the hitter is controlling his movement forward with his rear leg and as he is going forward his hands are going back (separation). The front foot gets weighted from the swing not before. You can practice this in a mirror (sequencing) and then take it to a tee and then BP.        

Okay, I will do that. Thank you! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.