Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Assuming he was an academic qualifier and a recruited athlete at the first school, he needs to complete his 2-year degree before he can go to another D1/D2 without sitting out a year of residence.

I once spoke to a dad whose son committed to a major conference D1 and quickly realized he wouldn't get playing time.  He transferred to a JUCO at Christmas of his freshman year.  Because he had AP credits from high school and credits from summer school before his freshman year, he was able to complete his 2-year degree by the end of the summer after his freshman year and go to another D1 for his sophomore year without sitting out.  I don't know where he landed, but I was impressed by his solution to the situation.

Swampboy,

If he enrolled full time or practiced, he is considered a "transfer student", and is subject to the transfer rules.  14.5.2(a) and 14.5.2(g), 14.5.2(f) in D2.  Also, I think the only way recruited status affects a 4-2-4 transfer is if he practices with the team during summer term, and this won't happen in baseball.

bacdorslider,

For D2 and D3, it isn't necessary to have graduated from the 2 year school, but attendance for 2 full time semesters is required at the 2 year school.  For D1, graduation is required, but if the player can accomplish that in one semester, he is free to transfer then.  Also in D1, the transfer player must enroll in the fall term in order to be eligible in the following spring.

I believe that NAIA has minimal restrictions on transfers of this sort.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.