Skip to main content

Hey, I need some help with transfer rules.  My son is in contact with a D1 coach about transferring.  My son is dual enrolled for the spring at his D1 and at a Juco where he will play.  He's taking 14 credits and 12 credits respectively. The coach interested in him wrote this in one of his emails.  I just need clarification on the 4-2-4 rules (NCAA site is tough to figure out with this type of unique situation) and not sure what he means by AA.

So, since you are a 4-2-4 transfer you would need an AA and that is tough to get in a year.  

Any insight would be great.

TIA

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Kimb27 posted:

Hey, I need some help with transfer rules.  My son is in contact with a D1 coach about transferring.  My son is dual enrolled for the spring at his D1 and at a Juco where he will play.  He's taking 14 credits and 12 credits respectively. The coach interested in him wrote this in one of his emails.  I just need clarification on the 4-2-4 rules (NCAA site is tough to figure out with this type of unique situation) and not sure what he means by AA.

So, since you are a 4-2-4 transfer you would need an AA and that is tough to get in a year.  

TIA

Get in touch with Rick at Informed Athlete

Before you call Rick, I suggest you read through these to ask the right question(s) and understand the answer(s).   These are all pretty easy reads, but you have to understand the lingo.  There is a lingo translator in the back pages, as the NCAA has it own language.   

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligib...I_4-2-4_Transfer.pdf - Flow Chart

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligib...tion_of_Transfer.pdf - Notification

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligib...er/FourYearGuide.pdf - Transfer Guide

Good luck!

Sorry to get off topic a bit but this probably is not worth a new thread.  What is status of transfer portal for D1 (was it opened up as predicted on Jan 12 --I didn't see anything) and what is status of dead period for D1 and D2? Does Dead Period end April1? Is that expected to get pushed out again or have we finally gotten through that?

@Kimb27 posted:

TIA

I believe the coach is referring to your son needing to get an Associate's degree (AA) to graduate from the JC. You'll need to check if that is required for him to compete immediately upon transfer to the second 4-year college.

@BBMomAZ posted:

I believe the coach is referring to your son needing to get an Associate's degree (AA) to graduate from the JC. You'll need to check if that is required for him to compete immediately upon transfer to the second 4-year college.

@Kimb27 The "normal" NCAA 4-2-4 rule requires that your son graduate from the juco if he want to be immediately eligible to play at his second D1 college. He would also need one calendar year between leaving the first D1 and being eligible at the second D1. Your son taking classes at the first D1 this spring only complicates his situation. IMO, you need expert advice.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.