Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

my first sentiment is no way, but if you forced me to answer, I would play it as a shift putting all 3 outfielders to the "pull" side. So, for a RH batter, LF on the line and a few steps deeper, CF shallow in the gap behind SS, and RF a few steps deeper in CF, but shading towards right. Then push the 2b towards first base and a few steps back in the grass with the following two instructions (1) you've got the whole RF line and (2) charge hard on any ground ball. Then you move the 1b a few steps off the line with the instruction (1) get any ground ball you can, and then you tell your pitcher two things (1) nothing outside where we are exposed, and (2) cover 1st base on any ball to the right side. And then, let your OF grass grow as high as you can so they get no roll (did I say that?)

It could work, but I would also switch it up ALOT...make the offensive coach check on almost every pitch. Could just be enough of a distraction to keep them off-balance.

PS: be sure to follow-up and let us know what you did and how it worked.
With all due respect and no offense really inteded but just play baseball. Don't do a bunch of cute stuff that probably won't work. I understand you want to do what you can in order to compete with a strong team but this isn't the answer.

It's easier said than done but tell your pitchers to change location, speed and eye level. Tell your defense to make the routine play. Tell your hitters to attack fastballs early in the count - don't let them get deep in the count where your guys are guessing what pitch is coming.

By doing something like this you're telling everyone - the other team, the fans and most importantly your team - we can't win so we're going to do something crazy.

Just play baseball.
Update

We lost the game 3-0 vs. returning state champions and all-state pitcher.

I did use four outfielders one time during the game. I moved my 2nd baseman to Right-Center. Center moved to Left-Center. We used it against their leadoff batter the third time he was at bat. First two times he crushed it to center and then to left. His third time up we used our 4 outfielders and I feel it threw him off. We got a 2-2 count and he popped-up to pitcher(which we dropped and only fielding error).

Our problem was not our pitching. They were instructed to pitch backwards(Curveballs, change-ups). Our opponents specialty is crushing fastballs.

Our fielding was good too, but our catchers is young, so they ran on us and got into more scoring positions. We did have bases loaded, but lack of hitting forced us not to capitalize.

Overall, I think I would do it again and earlier. Especially since most HS kids don't do a good job of hitting opposite field; they want to pull everything.

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by coachtmoore

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.