Skip to main content

With the Rule 5 Draft coming up, it's time for MLB teams to name their 40 Man Roster for the 2009 season.

MiLB players virtually live off their signing bonuses. They make something like $1150/month while playing in Single A, a bit more as they move up. Does anyone know if there is a pay minimum for players who finally make the 40 Man? Or does that not happen until you getted called up to the 25 Man Roster?

cadDAD

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
...but anyone with an agent can make a call as they should know...

Hope someone can help here. My son is represented by a guy with multiple stars on his shoulder in a multi-sided building in DC, and "he don't know"....

cadDAD

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
- George Bernard Shaw

quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
TPM, I agree and the clock starting forces the club to sheet or get off the pot quicker. What I read was that gaining admittance in the MLBPA means you are classified as a major league 40 man player.

I will web-up a little and seek the answer, but anyone with an agent Winkcan make a call as they should know.

Actually I did make that inquiry and he told me to call him as it is a little bit more involved and easier to answer on the phone, than in an email, but I didn;t feel that warranted a phone call. I will ask son later when he returns if he knows, but I doubt it, they don't worry about those things until they have to, which for him will be in 3 years. Smile
I do beleive that DePodesta answers questions on his blog.
OS8,
yes that is what I thought, 40 man doesn't give you MLB starting salary and you just get prorated the days you are called up. You do get milb higher pay, I thought somewhere around 40K it begins. My son told me once that career milb players make decent money a season, depending upon years of service.

The reason I thought that 40 man guys don't get MLB pay was because someone told me once that teams often will call a guy up who has been on a 40 man but not made the show if they need some extra bucks for family needs, etc. for a few days, never got a big bonus but looks like he may hit the show soon but no spot on the roster as yet for him. I don't know if that is a common practice or not.
Most "typical" for a player on the 40 man roster without a Major League contract is a split contract.

The split contract means a certain set amount while the player is in the minor leagues... And in most cases with newly added 40 man roster guys, the MLB minimum for the time he spends in the Major Leagues (25) man roster.

The minor league part of the contract is not the same for every player. It's not unusual to see a AAA player on the 40 man making $50,000 to $75,000 for the time he spends in AAA.

There are also players on the 40 man who have a major league contract. In that case they make MLB minimum, or in some cases much more, whether in the minor leagues or the major leagues.

One of the major reasons for the 40 man is to protect a player from being included in the rule 5 draft.
A few further notes:

In 2009, I believe the major league minimum will be just over $400,000. Not a bad gig if you can get it. Also, I believe salaries are prorated over roughly 180 days (not sure the exact number) so when a guy gets a prorated portion of the minimum ML salary, he would get something like 1/180 of the total per day (or somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000 per day).

Finally, as TPM mentions, teams don't like to add players to the 40 man unless absolutely necessary. But this isn't necessarily a monetary concern as much as it's a result of the difficulty in removing someone from the 40 man roster. Other than the 60-day DL, I'm not sure if a team can remove someone from the 40 man roster without exposing them to waivers or releasing them. I'm probably missing something
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.