Skip to main content

Hello,

I don't know if anyone on this site knows or has done it, but I'll ask anyway. Is it possible if you attend classes and play baseball at (College A) but they don't have housing, can you live in a dorm and eat in (College B)? And can the baseball coach communicate that or should I go through the admissions office?

Thank you in advance.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2017_Grad posted:

Hello,

I don't know if anyone on this site knows or has done it, but I'll ask anyway. Is it possible if you attend classes and play baseball at (College A) but they don't have housing, can you live in a dorm and eat in (College B)? And can the baseball coach communicate that or should I go through the admissions office?

Thank you in advance.

No, that is what off campus housing is used for.  Colleges are not interconnected like that.

CaCO3Girl posted:
2017_Grad posted:

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

No, that is what off campus housing is used for.  Colleges are not interconnected like that.

I wouldn't think so either, but I don't know that it would be a set in concrete thing.

For instance if a neighboring college had available dorm space, I don't think there is a reason why it couldn't be rented to a school in need of space.

Granted, I've never seen it  - but my wife keeps telling me that's not valid evidence.

Rob T posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
2017_Grad posted:

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't think so either, but I don't know that it would be a set in concrete thing.

For instance if a neighboring college had available dorm space, I don't think there is a reason why it couldn't be rented to a school in need of space.

Granted, I've never seen it  - but my wife keeps telling me that's not valid evidence.

Rob T, in your scenario the A school has rented from the B school, i.e. it's their dorm now.  In the OP that's not the scenario.

CaCO3Girl posted:
Rob T posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
2017_Grad posted:

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Rob T, in your scenario the A school has rented from the B school, i.e. it's their dorm now.  In the OP that's not the scenario.

Yea - in re-reading the OP, it seems now we are talking about a school that doesn't have housing at all vs one that has housing, but has temporary need for more. Two different scenarios.

Although I guess if a school doesn't have housing at all that the coach may be able to relay what the other out of town players do.

roothog66 posted:

If school A has an agreement with school B to use their dorms, and that is available to all students at school A and not just athletes, there would be no problem. I assume this is the case, otherwise I don't see how that could even happen.

This is pretty much the case. For example, my alma mater (a fairly small school) is located in close proximity to four other schools with a similar profile. For efficiency, they have created a consortium that allows students at any one of those schools to use housing, dining areas, and most common facilities (as well as a certain number of credits per year at any school, with the home school's students getting priority.)

I won't discount the idea that an underpopulated school might allow general rental of its housing units--after all, they're going to sit empty and not generate any revenue if they don't. I think that security concerns would govern on that policy.

CaCO3Girl posted:
2017_Grad posted:

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

In rare cases they  are. There is a housing exchange program among the Claremont Colleges, and  students at all 7 schools  share the dining commons.  Students at the 5 College Consortium in Mass may also dine at other member colleges.

Last edited by JCG
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

having my son living on campus all four years. I would think Off campus housing would be cheaper than stayin in another schools dorm.

I live not too far from my alma mater. I just took a look at their housing rates...it's about $450/month cheaper to live on campus, comparing their most similar apartment to mine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.