Skip to main content

bacdorslider posted:
2019Dad posted:

Well, I was quoting the press release. It's advertising by Boras. But, hey, read any PG article about travel teams -- the first thing they do is mention how many commits XYZ national travel team has. So when they talk about all the commits on the Canes (or pick the travel team), does that rub you the wrong way too? This tweet from PG must drive you crazy: https://twitter.com/PerfectGam.../1062880566549323777

This is high school baseball web -- posters being rubbed the wrong way because of a post highlighting a prominent high school tournament (last year Baseball America, PerfectGame, and others all wrote articles on the SoCal Boras tournament) rubs me the wrong way.

Nothing in the post or the Boras press release denigrates Texas high school baseball or Tennessee high school baseball or anyone at all. It's a free country -- you can be annoyed by a post celebrating a cool tournament. But I sure wouldn't be.

with all respect due, my son played for the Canes National and Team Elite and played in the Area Code games and was a 1st team All -American and was flown all over the country and was ranked top 50 and all that....  it means nothing... nadda... you guys have a lot to learn... Boras this , Borras that.... he stuck his name on it...  

The problem that many ( not all)  of the new parents seem to not get is you are being played by the industry .... and your son might suffer for it...

It is interesting to watch parents that don't yet have a kid in college try to tell parents of professional ballplayers how the cow eats the cabbage.

adbono posted:

BACDOORSLIDER wrote, "The problem that many (not all) of the new parents seem to not get is you are being played by the industry.....and your son might suffer for it..."

This is absolutely the point and 100% correct.

Being played by the industry? I guess because I freely promoted a Boras event on a free message board? Same thing when a parent posts about the Jupiter tournament, right? They're being played by the industry? 

Let me be crystal clear: my son's team is not in the Boras Classic. He doesn't play for one of those teams listed. I just think it's a cool tournament.  A high school team tournament. To JCG's point, it's fun for the boys who play in it -- and my son has a lot of friends playing in it this year.

billsfanla posted:

And I recall Notre Dame, a Boras invited team, was loaded with commits last year, plus they had Hunter Greene. They were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by a scrappy public school team. 

Hunter Greene graduated in 2017. They could have used him last year.

adbono posted: 

I also don't like it when rich private high schools recruit the best players, give them scholarships, and then brag about how many D1 commits they have.  That rubs me the wrong way too.  

Boras is the one advertising it for these high school teams, but anyway Mira Costa, Cypress, Yucaipa, Huntington Beach, Ayala, and La Mirada are all public schools . . .

This thread is hilarious. I posted about a big high school tournament. And I copied some of Boras' advertising. And that pissed some people off? It rubbed them the wrong way? 

By the way, the NHSI is coming up in a few months. USA Baseball invites 16 high school baseball teams from across the country to play a tournament in Cary, NC. Is that topic off limits on HSBBW, too? How about the USA Baseball National Team? Also off limits? And Bacdoor, no one is saying it means anything, it's high school baseball. It's a game. It's fun. But it sure doesn't seem like it when I read your posts.

I'm not sure what the big deal is...it is unusual for one HS team to have 3-4 D1 commits.  Fact...it is.  Yes, it is safe to assume they will be pretty good.  It is baseball however and on any given day, a good team can be beat.  Is it also crazy to note that because team elite has 15 commits, they are probably good?  This whole thread is weird.

Last edited by baseballhs
bacdorslider posted:

with all respect due, my son played for the Canes National and Team Elite and played in the Area Code games and was a 1st team All -American and was flown all over the country and was ranked top 50 and all that....  it means nothing... nadda... you guys have a lot to learn...

Did your son not have fun playing Area Code and similar events? Why does it have to mean something long term?

Anyone who believes that every experience is completely worthless unless it means something for some future goal has a lot to learn -- maybe not about professional baseball, but about enjoying the ride. JMO

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:

BACDOORSLIDER wrote, "The problem that many (not all) of the new parents seem to not get is you are being played by the industry.....and your son might suffer for it..."

This is absolutely the point and 100% correct.

Being played by the industry? I guess because I freely promoted a Boras event on a free message board? Same thing when a parent posts about the Jupiter tournament, right? They're being played by the industry? 

Let me be crystal clear: my son's team is not in the Boras Classic. He doesn't play for one of those teams listed. I just think it's a cool tournament.  A high school team tournament. To JCG's point, it's fun for the boys who play in it -- and my son has a lot of friends playing in it this year.

billsfanla posted:

And I recall Notre Dame, a Boras invited team, was loaded with commits last year, plus they had Hunter Greene. They were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by a scrappy public school team. 

Hunter Greene graduated in 2017. They could have used him last year.

adbono posted: 

I also don't like it when rich private high schools recruit the best players, give them scholarships, and then brag about how many D1 commits they have.  That rubs me the wrong way too.  

Boras is the one advertising it for these high school teams, but anyway Mira Costa, Cypress, Yucaipa, Huntington Beach, Ayala, and La Mirada are all public schools . . .

This thread is hilarious. I posted about a big high school tournament. And I copied some of Boras' advertising. And that pissed some people off? It rubbed them the wrong way? 

By the way, the NHSI is coming up in a few months. USA Baseball invites 16 high school baseball teams from across the country to play a tournament in Cary, NC. Is that topic off limits on HSBBW, too? How about the USA Baseball National Team? Also off limits? And Bacdoor, no one is saying it means anything, it's high school baseball. It's a game. It's fun. But it sure doesn't seem like it when I read your posts.

Sorry I offended you, my comments had really nothing to do with  you or your son.  It's a common feeling I get and have gotten for many years from parents.   It's the importance given to how many D1 commits you listed as if that matters to anyone. Obviously it matters to you but it shouldn't... because a D1 commit now days means very little . 

I don't know if you personally are being played , but many many are.... Twitter, Facebook, PG, PBR , Driveline all of it . I guess some of that is good but most is hype, press, whatever you want to call it.  

"Pleased, Honored, blessed beyond all that I have committed to play baseball and further my academic career at blah blah school."  it's on twitter non-stop.    give me a break.   They act they have broken the schools homerun record , made the president's list every semester and have 4 jobs offers, but cannot decide if they want to play in the MLB or the NFL or settle for a wall street job.   In reality they ans I said from the beginning have done nothing but committed to a school they may never play for.  What happened to saying nothing?

Baseball is predominately a regionally recruited sport due to limits placed on schools by the NCAA and the school.   I guess I really should not waste my time trying to explain the landscape that these new parents are trying traverse.   And yes the USA Baseball Nation Team is a joke.... from top to bottom.. the college team is not so much the high school thing , it's a laugher.

2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

with all respect due, my son played for the Canes National and Team Elite and played in the Area Code games and was a 1st team All -American and was flown all over the country and was ranked top 50 and all that....  it means nothing... nadda... you guys have a lot to learn...

Did your son not have fun playing Area Code and similar events? Why does it have to mean something long term?

Anyone who believes that every experience is completely worthless unless it means something for some future goal has a lot to learn -- maybe not about professional baseball, but about enjoying the ride. JMO

There is a big difference in enjoying the ride and bragging about the ride. JMO 

"And yes the USA Baseball Nation Team is a joke.... from top to bottom.. the college team is not so much the high school thing , it's a laugher."

What are you basing that on?  I think the current team will have quite a few kids drafted high.  What makes it a joke?  Bobby Witt Jr....no talent?  Meador throwing 95 and striking out 10 in a row? I could go on...

adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

2019Dad,  Sure he had fun in the events... that's not the point...  He would be the first to tell you, that it was fun, it's over and no one really cares. He knows what it is and what it isn't. 

In fact the first day on campus last summer.... his new HC told him and another player, I don't really care if your ranked by PG, an All - American or whatever else you did... I did not recruit either of you based on any of that.... so all that matters is what you do now. 

I was reading a few articles the other day , Baseball America and D1 baseball, they were talking about certain teams, and wrote like they new what was going on within those programs . and the fact is they haven't a clue.... we sit back and snicker at it all. 

bacdorslider posted:

I should have said committing to a D1 school is not hard , if you have the goods.... I get that kids want that exp.  but wanting it, and working for it is just not enough.  And the posts I read on here encouraging players that we have never seen play , to attend this or that showcase , play on this of that travel team is not good advice when the the goal should be education at any level.  I just wish folks would get off the D1 thing.  

I agree with almost everything you said, but I don't necessarily have to see a kid play to give advice based on his situation. It's based off what I would do if I were that parent.

Kid is a sophomore throwing 88, I don't have to see him play to know that he is probably one of the better players in his area. Having seen other young players throw hard, take a certain path and turn out successful why would I not offer similar advice? When I say join a certain team it's meant to see how you stack up and how you perform with/against better players. Not with the idea that a D1 commitment automatically comes with an ECobb Astros uniform. 

I do agree that it is all about education though. 2019 made a list of 20 schools he could play baseball at. I had to cross about 6 off because they were straight party schools with a  degree that holds no value. Of the remaining schools, some would have been reaches to get into without a baseball coach pushing his app thru. It worked out. I could care less about the level, just happy he used baseball to go to college at a discounted rate. 

baseballhs posted:

"And yes the USA Baseball Nation Team is a joke.... from top to bottom.. the college team is not so much the high school thing , it's a laugher."

What are you basing that on?  I think the current team will have quite a few kids drafted high.  What makes it a joke?  Bobby Witt Jr....no talent?  Meador throwing 95 and striking out 10 in a row? I could go on...

Not the players.... 

SoCal OG posted:

Not sure where this thread got so derailed.  The Boras Classic is a fun tournament with lots of really competitive teams.  

My son has played in the Boras classic.  His current HS team which is not playing in the tourney this year has 4 D1's (all top SoCal teams) + 2 D3's on the team.  

Are you sure it wasn't  5 D1 players?  really just 4 D1 players ? ..... just kidding  

PABaseball posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I should have said committing to a D1 school is not hard , if you have the goods.... I get that kids want that exp.  but wanting it, and working for it is just not enough.  And the posts I read on here encouraging players that we have never seen play , to attend this or that showcase , play on this of that travel team is not good advice when the the goal should be education at any level.  I just wish folks would get off the D1 thing.  

I agree with almost everything you said, but I don't necessarily have to see a kid play to give advice based on his situation. It's based off what I would do if I were that parent.

Kid is a sophomore throwing 88, I don't have to see him play to know that he is probably one of the better players in his area. Having seen other young players throw hard, take a certain path and turn out successful why would I not offer similar advice? When I say join a certain team it's meant to see how you stack up and how you perform with/against better players. Not with the idea that a D1 commitment automatically comes with an ECobb Astros uniform. 

I do agree that it is all about education though. 2019 made a list of 20 schools he could play baseball at. I had to cross about 6 off because they were straight party schools with a  degree that holds no value. Of the remaining schools, some would have been reaches to get into without a baseball coach pushing his app thru. It worked out. I could care less about the level, just happy he used baseball to go to college at a discounted rate. 

I agree with you... I wasn't trying to single anyone out, I am guilty of it myself.... 

adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Sure, and posting about a HS tournament that my son is not playing in is bragging about the ride? I also posted a few weeks ago about the USA National 18U Team -- yet another event my son didn't participate in, lol, there have been plenty of those. We should amend the message board guidelines so no one posts about events their son is not directly involved in. But, wait, if people post about events their son is involved in, that would be bragging about the ride . . . oh, it's all so confusing . . . I just don't know what to do.

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Sure, and posting about a HS tournament that my son is not playing in is bragging about the ride? I also posted a few weeks ago about the USA National 18U Team -- yet another event my son didn't participate in, lol, there have been plenty of those. We should amend the message board guidelines so no one posts about events their son is not directly involved in. But, wait, if people post about events their son is involved in, that would be bragging about the ride . . . oh, it's all so confusing . . . I just don't know what to do.

The comment about bragging wasn’t pointed at you specifically.  No reason that you should have taken it that way. 

adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

The comment about bragging wasn’t pointed at you specifically.  No reason that you should have taken it that way. 

OK, no offense taken. I was just having a little fun there at the end. I try not to take any of this too seriously -- it's a free anonymous message board after all. 

2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

OK, no offense taken. I was just having a little fun there at the end. I try not to take any of this too seriously -- it's a free anonymous message board after all. 

Sometimes it’s not as anonymous as you think

bacdorslider posted:

I was reading a few articles the other day , Baseball America and D1 baseball, they were talking about certain teams, and wrote like they new what was going on within those programs . and the fact is they haven't a clue.... we sit back and snicker at it all. 

It happens. There are school forums out there where people pay membership fees and bash coaches/players. I recently found one for 2019s future school where a poster was calling for the coaches firing because two sophomores (who would have been starting Cf and #2 in rotation) were not on the roster. What the poster doesn't know is that one was thrown off the team for a DUI and the other for getting busted with drugs in the dorms. But there are 17 more comments agreeing that the coach needs to go for releasing his 2 best freshman from last season. Stopped reading and caring when I saw a post on how the 2019 recruiting class was their weakest ever (2 will be drafted). I'll go to as many games possible and watch the rest on tv (probably on mute), but I don't care to read the articles, the previews, or the comments anymore. Just let them have their moment.

PABaseball posted:
bacdorslider posted:

It happens. There are school forums out there where people pay membership fees and bash coaches/players. I recently found one for 2019s future school where a poster was calling for the coaches firing because two sophomores (who would have been starting Cf and #2 in rotation) were not on the roster. What the poster doesn't know is that one was thrown off the team for a DUI and the other for getting busted with drugs in the dorms. But there are 17 more comments agreeing that the coach needs to go for releasing his 2 best freshman from last season. Stopped reading and caring when I saw a post on how the 2019 recruiting class was their weakest ever (2 will be drafted). I'll go to as many games possible and watch the rest on tv (probably on mute), but I don't care to read the articles, the previews, or the comments anymore. Just let them have their moment.

Big ups for the “watch the TV on mute” comment. Unless the commentators are somehow connected to the program (this eliminates all the ESPN shills) they have no idea what is going on in that program. But they will certainly try to pass themselves off as experts with comments like, “Coach _________ saw something he didn’t like in the pitchers mechanics and he is going out to the mound to get that straightened out right now.”  When in fact that announcer has no clue what is being discussed on the mound or why the coach is even out there. 

adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
adbono posted:
2019Dad posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Sometimes it’s not as anonymous as you think

I guess I wasn't clear -- I meant that the people posting stuff that I don't necessarily agree with are anonymous to me, so I'm not going to get worked up over people's opinions who I don't know. They might know who I am -- lots of HSBBW-ers do, I've met a bunch, too -- but that's neither here nor there to how I react to their posts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.