Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Baseball.dad posted:

The season is upon us who are the teams to beat in the SED.

Boy times have changed.  A few years ago when the SED was a league this would have ignited a 40 or 50 response string within a few days.  Now the teams are spread out over 3 or 4 conferences in the classifications 6 to 4 or maybe even 3 if DC is in 3 now and there is no buzz anymore.  

I miss the days when a GB/WB game in March had State Championship game implications since a loss might cost one of them a chance to get out of the district.  Now these teams play an exhibition round robin and the games are nothing more than pumped up practices. 

To answer the post; It is reasonable to expect that GB will show well in 4 and that NR and Hickory will do the same in 5.  WB and GF always show up in 6.  All 5 teams have solid chances of making regionals. The question marks are IR and OS and If they can make a move. 

I wonder about Hickory pitching....I'm sure they will be riding on the arm of H Gregory but not sure who else can fill in behind him. I don't see Celata on the roster this year(transferred?). I can recall Crossons and a junior Loper but not sure I remember how they managed last year but I'm sure they are bigger and stronger this year. Fresh Bowes will be coming up from JV for pitching duty too it looks like.

Hopefully someone better in the know will provide some info on Hickory pitching.

Last edited by Gmnk

In general, I expect this to be a down year for the district, at large.  Over the last many years the talent pool throughout the district has been extremely high.  This particular year, and perhaps, next year as well, there is a general lack of talent...relative to what we've become accustomed to.   The only program that I would expect to compete at that level is Western Branch.  Their JV program the last couple of years has been very strong, along with a solid crop of young varsity contributors.   I expect Great Bridge to be solid as well.

Grassfield, Hickory, and Nansemond River all have several holes.  Whether its due to significant graduation, players choosing to hang up the spikes, transfers out, etc.  All three will have talented players...just not the depth of talent that they have had over the last many years.  I expect that there will be some box scores that may surprise some folks throughout the year.

So - Group 4 has Kings Fork (surprise) and GB (not) going to Region.  Hickory from 5.  WB makes it again and for the first time in who knows the OS Tigers are in a regional.  Another good showing thus far.

Now the test to find out if they are the best of a mediocre Southside or if they really have the goods.  Of this group GB & Hickory look the most ready to go deep.

FWIW this breakthrough by OS has been building for 6 years and might be the thing that makes baseball a option for even more kids there.  If so - they will be a rising power to contend with.  The athletes are there,

luv baseball posted:

So - Group 4 has Kings Fork (surprise) and GB (not) going to Region.  Hickory from 5.  WB makes it again and for the first time in who knows the OS Tigers are in a regional.  Another good showing thus far.

Now the test to find out if they are the best of a mediocre Southside or if they really have the goods.  Of this group GB & Hickory look the most ready to go deep.

FWIW this breakthrough by OS has been building for 6 years and might be the thing that makes baseball a option for even more kids there.  If so - they will be a rising power to contend with.  The athletes are there,

Of course, Hickory has already lost, so I'm a tad late to the game...however, I expect GB to have the best chance, and have felt that way for quite some time, providing they don't matchup with Hanover early.

Regarding OS, they had a fine season.  However, once we get past 2018, and the talent pool returns...it would be hard pressed to think that they would overtake a WB, HH, GB or NR...all four of which have A LOT of talent in the middle school ranks.

For whatever reason, the 10th and 11th grade talent across the SED, is lacking.  The 9th and under talent seems to be very strong.  

Last edited by GoHeels

Lost in WB's win was Andrew Melnyk's great pitching performance.  Through six innings, he held WB to two singles, including a bunt.

WB was aided by an umpire's interference call.  With two on and one out in the ninth inning, Jay Patto hit a ball up the middle that struck the second base umpire.  Play resulted in a dead ball and bases loaded.  The next batter, Connor Rhem grounded a ball up the middle, scoring the winning run.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.