Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, I'm a long distance Whitman fan and they're having a pretty good start compared to what they usually do.  Freshman pitcher threw a no hitter a week ago and was, I think, D3 pitcher of the week.  I'm an alum, so my kids aren't interested in going there , but it's a gem of a school academically AND athletically it's starting to make waves: won both men's and women's basketball conference titles last week.

Hey, Tres, congrats on your son's debut at Udub!

I didn't even know this forum exists -- it's hidden if you come in from the homepage.

Anyway, weather is really bad this year for Seattle area. Snowed the first HS tryout day, then rained everyday after that. Forecast has at least another week of rain.

I watched several college games online. Whitman is looking exceptionally strong this year. They beat Whitworth in a DH! And almost swept a 4 game series when they traveled down to Claremont. Looks like they recruited good pitchers and hitters.

Tres -- does UW have video archives of their games, like the D3s do?

We're in the second week of HS baseball here in Oregon and it's been wet and snowy. It doesn't look like the rain is going to let up, but I'm crossing my fingers we actually get to start games next week. I really can't wait until our Spring Break trip to Arizona at the end of this month. 

A couple of my son's former club teammates have earned starting roles for U of P. The team isn't doing real great, but hopefully they'll get things turned around soon. Only the second year with the new coaching staff.

Tres, I'll be checking in on UW games now. It's always great to have some people to follow on each team. I'm really bummed that Jacob Parrot isn't playing for Oregon this season, but it's great to see him on the roster and being so active with the team. 

Yes Smoke, Whitman is showing some flashes this season. Our son played there four years, and was a weekend starting P on the 20 win team of '14.  I've seen the current team, and I'd say the 13/14 squads had more depth in impact offensive firepower, particularly slugging %.  A senior P on the 14 squad really rivaled the NWC Pitcher of the Year, Lubking, in nastiness - upper 80/low 90. Actually led the conference in K/9IP. But, the current Whitman squad has much more pitching depth when you get into the pen beyond the three weekend starters, and its a bunch of underclassmen - so yes, if they can keep building on this with impact recruits year-to-year, they could become a force.

Last edited by like2rake

Hi guys--Smokeminside: I'm a Whitman fan too; the school very much resembles my alma mater in Oberlin. Small liberal arts focused, academic. A friend, the CEO at Driveline, was a catcher there as the program began is ascendance.

Bogeyorpar--Unfortunately, I have not been able to determine if we can watch previously streamed ballgames. I've been looking for links, but it doesn't appear to be available. I wish!

Another 4 game non-conf series this weekend then three with Utah next weekend. I'm betting the coaches figure out a way to get at least 25 boys on the field, some way or other, through the weekend. 

Yes, the rain needs to move on now. Our non-conference games are scheduled to start today. My 2018 is getting the start on the bump, but it's raining cats and dogs so I imagine games will be cancelled. It looks like the rain is sticking around for the most of the week. It's the PNW, so we're used to the rain, but this winter has been ridiculous. Sigh. 

Our home opener was scheduled today. It has been raining the whole week so I thought it will be cancelled for sure; but suddenly it all cleared up today with beautiful sunshine and blue skies and almost 50 degrees! Our home opener proceeded as planned. My son got 2 hits out of 3 AB with 3 RBIs. Our team went on to win 9-2.

Forecast rain again tomorrow and Saturday. Our game vs O'Dea may be wet.

I'm glad the O'Dea/Newport matchup is now a perennial thing. I enjoyed games at Newport; even JV on that dirt field. Really glad to see Lambeau and Weston Miller are going to play at the next level. I am trying to get to O'Dea games at Bannerwood and will swing by Newport next time the game times line up. I'll let you know when that is so we can say "hi"!

Hi Baseball-Dad--They only have two games in so far this year. First, a mercy rule win against Ingraham and yesterday, a 3-2 win vs Seattle Prep. Seattle Prep is ranked #2 in State in 3A, despite Lakeside being 4-0 and looking like the Metro chalk again this year. ODea has more arms this year than last. The team also seems loose and game whereas most of the team were underclass last year.  Big opponents will be Eastside Catholic (as always) and Lakeside Academy. Recently strong teams are off this year (Bainbridge for example).

my son transferred to school playing after the Ingram Odea game. saw last inning. big kid on the mound for Odea throwing hard. looked like he was playing pre game until the ball came out . also saw 4 or 5 odea fielders 3B, 1B catcher., corner outfielders and 4 or 5 kids in dugout that were huge. very tall very built but also very athletic. didn't seem like the typical teams we saw last year at our old school. Cannot believe all seattle hs teams have that size and athleticism

Hey this is Alex from Newport haha, sad to see that our game vs O'Dea got rained out, as those games are always fun when you get to play at your former school. O'Dea looks to be pretty good this year and probably will compete for a state title this year. Kingco 4a seems to be down this year, with no apparent arms even being able to reach towards the upper 80s. So far we have started 0-4, and are lacking in hitting, defense, and pitching. It seems like the teams that will have the most success in our league will be the teams that throw strikes and play defense as everybody seems to be able to at least swing it a bit. Our rotation lines up with a jr rhp in the low to mid 80s, a sr rhp around 80, and then me as the closer in the mid 80s. We are really going to need one more pitcher to step up for our team to have a shot at playoffs. Also, hoping to see my future school get a non conference dub against the hometown dawgs later in the season.

Hey buddy! Are you going to make it over to Husky Ballpark this weekend for Baylor? I am disappointed to say my wife and I cannot make it down for the LMU midweek which follows the Huskies' series with UCLA. But I was stoked to see that Scotty Graham (O'Dea '14) has transferred there from New Mexico and will be a transfer-junior when you step foot on campus. LMU had a lot of things that attracted Jacob, but he just never got a chance to show out for them. Of course things worked out.

Keep being a team leader at Newport. I'll be following you. Mean time, see you at Husky park.

Today is probably the "walk-off" day. First I watched the Newport Knights won their first conference game with a walk-off HR in the bottom of 7th; then read the news that Caltech won their first conference game in 29 years with a walk-off single; then watched UW won their battle with Baylor with a walk-off single. What a day!

Looks like Jacob racked up another run that tied the game

Glad to hear Newport got off the schneid. Fun weekend and lots of excitement indeed.

I've really enjoyed watching a team that has no fear trailing late in games. Bottom 9th with 2 outs, Jacob stole a bag then scored on a single to tie it. Single hitter takes advantage of a defensive miscue and gets to 3B. Then he scores the gamewinner on another single. Great team victory. Even cooler, they took the series against Baylor and that team is no joke. The Pac12 is pretty competitive this year.

I'll be at Garfield today and Bannerwood on Wed to see O'Dea play. Looks like the weather should be mild today, at least.

I've watched many KingCo 4A games, and I think the teams are very close to each other in terms of pitching and hitting (except Inglemoor.) Each team seems to have a couple pitchers >80mph and the rest in high 70s and some even in low 70s (and a couple 68s, yes, that's fastball not changeup). Most games were determined by one hit or one BB or one error. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Congrats to PNW2017 as the winning closer to beat last year's state champion Skyline! We were on the wrong end of the one hit/one error for too many games, and this time that one error happened on the other team.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.