Skip to main content

My time is running out and I'm in need of insight into what realistic options I have. I'm a 2018 looking for a 4 year program, I've made plenty of mistakes that have held me back in the recruiting process an I acknowledge that but I'm asking for advice on what it takes to get an offer the summer/fall before your senior year and what have you'll experienced in regards to receiving an offer as a rising senior. (Hears sum info if it helps)

(I'm a 5'6 MIF  83 Exit Velo,  Upper 70s from short (Primary 2nd baseman), 60yd 7.0)

So far I've had interest from one Juco school were the coach has shown great interest. While it is a good program I'd like to spend 4 years at a D2-D3 or even a D1 in the Swac or Meac conference. So far this summer I've been playing on a really good travel team in front of some of the top colleges here in VA, and I've played really well however I haven't received any feedback besides a "good game" from coaches in passing (I've been told that a lot of the D1's in attendance have finished recruiting my class and are looking for the top 8-9th graders), I've also emailed a lot of these schools and get nothing substantial besides put on their mailing list. Bottom line is I know my numbers are not eye popping or spectacular but I've seen players make it with half the talent I've exhibited I guess I'm just lost as to what I need to do... Thanks in advance!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you share with us "the mistakes that have held you back in the recruiting process", maybe we can go from there.

Are you keeping coaches up to date of your travel schedule and game times/locations each week?

You are not hearing from the D1s because they HAVE stopped recruiting for the class of 2018.  There may be walk on positions left, but I would focus on D3s.  A great public D3 in VA is Christopher Newport.  Public D3s are hard to find in our area, and there are very few D2s with baseball.

keewart posted:

If you share with us "the mistakes that have held you back in the recruiting process", maybe we can go from there.

Are you keeping coaches up to date of your travel schedule and game times/locations each week?

You are not hearing from the D1s because they HAVE stopped recruiting for the class of 2018.  There may be walk on positions left, but I would focus on D3s.  A great public D3 in VA is Christopher Newport.  Public D3s are hard to find in our area, and there are very few D2s with baseball.

As far as mistakes I believe that I didn't seek out a better travel program to play with until this year, previously  I played with a mediocre team that didn't help me develop or get exposure, another mistake would be not making a high quality recruiting video like others that i know, and lastly I'd say my training I've played Varsity since freshman year and as soon as I got there my High School coach was serious about baseball players not lifting weights so for my first and second years of high school I didn't lift at all because I believed him an honestly didn't know any better. I believe those were sum set backs an I take responsibility for them.

What are your grades and scores?

Whatever those are, identify the schools which would recruit a player with your academic profile.

Then, evaluate which of those schools recruit players who you believe have equal or less baseball skills than yours.

That subset (the point at which a school(s) finds its way onto both lists) are the total schools with whom you would have a shot.

Factor in your financial ability to pay and your geographic limitations (if any) and the list winnows down further.

Of the remaining schools on that refined list, find out which events (showcases, camps, etc.) will have lots of those target coaches and head to those events.

At this point, playing on a travel team may not help - college coaches aren't interested in team play; a coach is interested in individual skills - so you need to pick events which isolate and provide coaches' looks at those individual skills.

Time isn't on your side, but getting a list together could take you a few days of very concentrated and focused work and then identifying the camps, showcases, etc., will take a few more days.

If you still haven't found anything by the end of the summer, there are a few late fall showcases for uncommitted seniors - but, again, you need to find those.

Goosegg posted:

Whatever those are, identify the schools which would recruit a player with your academic profile.

Then, evaluate which of those schools recruit players who you believe have equal or less baseball skills than yours.

That subset (the point at which a school(s) finds its way onto both lists) are the total schools with whom you would have a shot.

Factor in your financial ability to pay and your geographic limitations (if any) and the list winnows down further.

Of the remaining schools on that refined list, find out which events (showcases, camps, etc.) will have lots of those target coaches and head to those events.

At this point, playing on a travel team may not help - college coaches aren't interested in team play; a coach is interested in individual skills - so you need to pick events which isolate and provide coaches' looks at those individual skills.

Time isn't on your side, but getting a list together could take you a few days of very concentrated and focused work and then identifying the camps, showcases, etc., will take a few more days.

If you still haven't found anything by the end of the summer, there are a few late fall showcases for uncommitted seniors - but, again, you need to find those.

Thank you that helps a lot, appreciate it.

While I agree with Goose' really good outline, I wouldn't pooh-pooh the JUCO that is interested just yet. Find out where those players feed into. There is nothing wrong with 1-2 yrs at a JUCO, as long as it's heading you in the right direction. Make sure all/most the credits transfer. 

You admit to having made a few tactical mistakes along the way; but, you are to be roundly commended for taking overall responsibility for your recruitment. I've always felt that too many players were willing to acquiesce to their parents' inclination to step in and run their son's process. 

In your case, you're demonstrating a great deal about your "makeup" that will mean something to many of the recruiters who are given an opportunity to know that you have it. Your self-drive and determination to be accountable for your actions and assume responsibility for as much as within your control as you can will serve you extremely well down the road when applied to other pursuits you choose, as well. 

As I know you know, some important factors in the recruiting process are outside the limits of what you can control. Timing and serendipity, among a number of others, threaten to influence even the best-orchestrated of individual efforts. However, that's certainly not to suggest that players shouldn't work to achieve their aspirations; as it often makes all the difference in how the process ends up.

Best wishes to your efforts'  success...and keep us posted on your progress!

Goosegg posted:

Grades are huge, and like Goosegg suggests, fall showcases.  Get to the Arizona Fall Classic if you can.  Tons of coaches from all around the country will be there.

baseballmom posted:

While I agree with Goose' really good outline, I wouldn't pooh-pooh the JUCO that is interested just yet. Find out where those players feed into. There is nothing wrong with 1-2 yrs at a JUCO, as long as it's heading you in the right direction. Make sure all/most the credits transfer. 

I agree.  JUCO could be a nice fit...

rynoattack posted:
Goosegg posted:

Grades are huge, and like Goosegg suggests, fall showcases.  Get to the Arizona Fall Classic if you can.  Tons of coaches from all around the country will be there.

Thanks I'll make sure to look into that showcase.

You are small, with limited arm strength and power and are slow. You are not going to play at a D1, period.  Christopher Newport is a top D3 program and has D1 talent on that team (at least the middle infielders) , so don't waste your time at a top 20 D3 program. You can check out D3 programs at d3baseball.com to find a programs that might fit you. 

All that said, if you want to contribute to a program you will have to find a D3 that has a combination of what you can afford, matches your academics and baseball skills, and is where you want to live -  it can be done with some legwork.  You have plenty of time from a D3 standpoint so start working on a list and contacting those programs. Forget about Arizona Fall Classic, you will be lost in the sea of kids, unless you have already contacted a program that wants to see you play in advance. 

The other option of course is club ball. I am not trying to be negative, just giving you a realistic view of your options so you don't waste your precious time. 

Good Luck!

Last edited by BOF

I really like BOFS straight forward reply.

With that said, I also agree with baseballmom's advice.

Why be he'll bent on going to a 4 year d1 where you might get a late pick up but chances are you may sit more than you will play.

Just remember that if you committ to a JUCO, you can committ later to a D1. However, this might be your best option, in 2 years you will have another even better option than what you are facing now.

One more thing, don't blame others because you are not where you think that you should be. You could have done some homework and gone ahead and done training on your own.  The Internet isn't called the world wide Web for no reason.

Wow, going to be devil's advocate for the OP as well as other 2018 who may read this.  It is July of your rising senior year.  Yes, many D1 schools are done and much of the scholarship money has long been committed.  But there are many schools (D1 included) who are still looking to add an arm, add a player they need or even just like...many commitments continue to happen, but you have to be focused on the right level academically (unclear from OP where that might be) as well as baseball talent wise.  

At this point last summer we knew a bunch of 2017 who had no idea yet where they would play, and if they would play.  Here is a brief summary of what happened to 10 of those guys:

2017 C:  got lots of interest as a LH batter, mostly D3 at first but committed in August to a D1 Patriot League school.  Went to a few showcases, and college specific camps but then went to HF in mid Aug in NY where they saw him

2017 RHP:  went to Stanford in July and HF in August in NY, ended up committing to academic D3 in MN

2017 RHP: went to HF in CA in June, Stanford in July, Showball, and a few college specific camps, went to HF again in August got first offers after that given high velocity, playing high academic D1

2017 LHP: went to Showball in July, HF in August and a D3 specific camp.  Only a little bit of interest and opting to play club at a very good D1 university.   

2017 MIF:  went to HF in August, committed to D3 in Ohio after that.

2017 LHP: went to Stanford in July, HF in August, PBR in August, had a few offers before senior year started, but committed only in spring.  Playing at high academic top D3 program.

2017 MIF:  Went to HF in NY in Aug, ASBA showcase in PA in August and WWBA, committed to high academic top D3 in Pa in September.  

2017 RHP:  went to WWBA, Stanford in July, HF in Aug, lots of interest but mainly D3, trying to walk on to top D1.

2017 RHP: went to HF in Aug, offered and committed to play at NESCAC.

2017 C: went to HF in Aug, not much interest, trying to walk on at NESCAC.

2017 OF: not sure what he did but went to college specific camp and ended up with offer in Sept and playing at that NESCAC 

2017 MIF:  went to HF in Aug for second year but not any real interest and so got into top school and is happy and unlikely to play club.

Many of them probably did things I do not know about, not sure who had help from what coaches, great (or no) videos, but over the summer ran into all of them at various events and so can say that it still happens over the summer and fall for some.  Don't panic if you are a 2018, but be focused on where you truly might fit, and spread as wide of a net as you can for those schools.  

TPM posted:

Why be he'll bent on going to a 4 year d1 where you might get a late pick up but chances are you may sit more than you will play.

Just remember that if you committ to a JUCO, you can committ later to a D1. However, this might be your best option, in 2 years you will have another even better option than what you are facing now.

One more thing, don't blame others because you are not where you think that you should be. You could have done some homework and gone ahead and done training on your own.  The Internet isn't called the world wide Web for no reason.

Thanks for the reply but I never said I was hell bent on a D1 just trying to get a 4 year, and if you actually read my post you'd see I have taken responsibility and I'm working hard to get somewhere I'll make sure to @ you when I'm playing at the next level...

D1__ posted:
TPM posted:

Thanks for the reply but I never said I was hell bent on a D1 just trying to get a 4 year, and if you actually read my post you'd see I have taken responsibility and I'm working hard to get somewhere I'll make sure to @ you when I'm playing at the next level...

I read over your first post, and it was my assumption that you are focusing on D1 programs. 

You did blame your coach for lack of training, but now I understand that you are taking personal responsibility.

You have not responded regarding your grades or test scores which is the x factor in getting an opportunity to play college baseball at any 4 year program. I do understand that you feel you are a better player than some, have you ever gotten an evaluation on your skills? That more than likely would help give you a direction to focus on.

I am sorry that you dont like my response, however I will stick with my original suggestion, JUCO probably would be a very good option.

JMO

Last edited by TPM

Contact coaches directly. Be prepared to sell. Promote your best attributes. Be prepared to defend your negatives. Do not lie. Ask these coaches where you can get in front of them this summer or fall.

If you call you have about twenty seconds to attract interest. It's the nature of a sales call. If you do well the conversation will go further. You will know if you're being blown off. 

If you email the coaches you're at the mercy of them returning an email. You don't have a lot of time to lose. It's already July. 

Keep in mind a D3 coach doesn't have roster limitations if he chooses not to. The bad news is he can tell you to attempt to walk on in the fall when you have no shot. Or if you walk on and shine he has a roster spot for you.

The objective isn't to just get s uniform and be player #40. The objective is to find a place to compete for playing time 

Last edited by RJM
TPM posted:
D1__ posted:
TPM posted:

I read over your first post, and it was my assumption that you are focusing on D1 programs. 

You did blame your coach for lack of training, but now I understand that you are taking personal responsibility.

You have not responded regarding your grades or test scores which is the x factor in getting an opportunity to play college baseball at any 4 year program. I do understand that you feel you are a better player than some, have you ever gotten an evaluation on your skills? That more than likely would help give you a direction to focus on.

I am sorry that you dont like my response, however I will stick with my original suggestion, JUCO probably would be a very good option.

JMO

As far as grades my GPA is a 3.6 and I take the Sat next month, evaluation wise when I got an evaluation I was told to focus on D3 and Juco possibly sum D1 HBCU's (Norfolk ST, Coppin State, etc)

D1__ posted:
RJM posted:

Here's a straight forward question since you're in the Massachusetts area. The intent is to get you pointed in the right direction. Academically are you closer to Tufts, Babson and similar colleges or Framingham State?

I'm sorry if I confused you in my post I'm actually located in Virginia.

Whoops! Confused you with someone else. Go to the D3.com website someone suggested. Click on teams. Click on region. Click on teams in your region. Find their league standing. Chances are if the top teams aren't after you at this point they're not interested. They recruit. Look at the .500 teams. What I posted about calling coaches still applies. You don't have time to waste. You should make your calling list over the next couple of days and be on the phone Wednesday morning. 

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.